Preseason Top 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preseason Top 25

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.

Comment

I remember watching the video of the Pride of the Dakotas marching in the innaugural parade for Clinton's last term. Part of the video showed the great reception put on for the Pride by Neuharth at his company's building in the DC area. Neuharth made very nice comments that showed above all else, he's a South Dakotan and was very proud of the show put on by the Pride.

I don't mind not being in all the polls at the start of the season.

I'm predicting the following: We'll be 2-0 (road wins at Western Illinois and Youngstown) going into the first home game featuring old rival UNI. More than 15,000 will turn out to watch the Panthers take a lead to the half-time but then watch the Jackrabbits shift gears in the third quarter and hold UNI scoreless for the second half to finish the game 21-14. Then I'll read the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        I remember watching the video of the Pride of the Dakotas marching in the innaugural parade for Clinton's last term.  Part of the video showed the great reception put on for the Pride by Neuharth at his company's building in the DC area.  Neuharth made very nice comments that showed above all else, he's a South Dakotan and was very proud of the show put on by the Pride.  

I don't mind not being in all the polls at the start of the season.  

I'm predicting the following:  We'll be 2-0 (road wins at Western Illinois and Youngstown) going into the first home game featuring old rival UNI.  More than 15,000 will turn out to watch the Panthers take a lead to the half-time but then watch the Jackrabbits shift gears in the third quarter and hold UNI scoreless for the second half to finish the game 21-14.  Then I'll read the polls.

Neuharth is a decent guy, and no doubt thought about the state as whole. I read some where when he was a student at USD and part of the Volente staff he wrote an editorial critical of preferred seating for the adminstration at football games and maybe boosters too, over seating for existing students. It was a long time ago. Also I am old enough to remember reading his SoDak sports that went bankrupt about 1954. It was a great little weekly that included both college and high school sports, including the NCC. The reason it went bankrupt was he did not find sufficient ad coverage across the state to make it work. For him to later be a jounalistic giant with Gannett is amazing.

His ties to USD are strong, but he hasn't given any hint about helping USD athletics in their move to D1. So it would be very surpising if we were to find a bias against SDS in the poll. I sure he is high on the key donor list for Athletic fundraising at USD and I dont think SDSU should shy away from asking him for money either. The worst answer we could get is a "No"

As for the prediction, JACKJD, I hope and pray you are absolutely correct, as this is what our program needs to reach a higer level and to make a impact on the polls.

Comment

Here is the latest Pre-Season Poll this one is by CSN:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=86522

The 2007 CSN Preseason FCS Top 25

1. Appalachian State
          2. Montana
          3. North Dakota State
          4. Youngstown State
          5. New Hampshire
          6. James Madison
          7. Northern Iowa
          8. Massachusetts
          9. Illinois State
          10. McNeese State
          11. Furman
          12. Southern Illinois
          13. Portland State
          14. Cal Poly
          15. Wofford
          16. Tennessee-Martin
          17. Sam Houston State
          18. Yale
          19. Hampton
          20. Eastern Illinois
          21. Lehigh
          22. South Dakota State
          23. Montana State
          24. Delaware
          25. Princeton

Also receiving votes (in order): Towson, Maine, South Carolina State, UC Davis, Liberty, Lafayette, San Diego, Alabama A&M, Coastal Carolina, Harvard, Villanova.

Voting was done by the staff of College Sporting News, all first place votes went to Appalachian State.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Here is the latest Pre-Season Poll this one is by CSN:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=86522

The 2007 CSN Preseason FCS Top 25

1. Appalachian State
            2. Montana
            3. North Dakota State
            4. Youngstown State
            5. New Hampshire
            6. James Madison
            7. Northern Iowa
            8. Massachusetts
            9. Illinois State
            10. McNeese State
            11. Furman
            12. Southern Illinois
            13. Portland State
            14. Cal Poly
            15. Wofford
            16. Tennessee-Martin
            17. Sam Houston State
            18. Yale
            19. Hampton
            20. Eastern Illinois
            21. Lehigh
            22. South Dakota State
            23. Montana State
            24. Delaware
            25. Princeton

Also receiving votes (in order): Towson, Maine, South Carolina State, UC Davis, Liberty, Lafayette, San Diego, Alabama A&M, Coastal Carolina, Harvard, Villanova.

Voting was done by the staff of College Sporting News, all first place votes went to Appalachian State.
            Five opponents receiving votes, 3 from GWFC, 2 Gateway members. For the 2008 Gateway, 6 (out of 9) ranked in top 25. Gateway will be GREAT! but very tough!

Comment

Here all the polls in one nice neat place:

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1137625

Go State!

Comment

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AGN4096707.htm

Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers
                2. Montana Grizzlies
                3. Massachusetts Minutemen
                4. North Dakota State Bison
                5. Youngstown State Penguins
                6. New Hampshire Wildcats
                7. Illinois State Redbirds
                8. James Madison Dukes
                9. Northern Iowa Panthers
                10. McNeese State Cowboys
                11. Furman Paladins
                12. Southern Illinois Salukis
                13. Portland State Vikings
                14. Wofford Terriers
                15. Cal Poly Mustangs
                16. Hampton Pirates
                17. Eastern Illinois Panthers
                18. Sam Houston State Bearkats
                19. Delaware Blue Hens
                20. South Dakota State Jackrabbits
                21. Montana State Bobcats
                22. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
                23. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
                24. Yale Bulldogs
                25. South Carolina State Bulldogs

Others receiving votes: Princeton, Towson, San Diego, Central Arkansas, Lafayette, Stephen F. Austin, Lehigh, Georgia Southern, Northern Arizona, UC Davis, Alabama A&M, Liberty, Delaware State

Go State!

Comment

Am I counting correctly? 8 of the 11 teams we are playing this year are either ranked or receiving votes in the most recognized poll in FCS? It's going to be interesting who ends up having the toughest RPI in the nation once the year is said and done! My money is on the Jacks!!

With this schedule I will be "Peeing my Pants" happy with 8-3 or even 7-4.

Some of the best football ever to come to S.D. is going to be played at CAS in 2007 and beyond...I just hope the "casual fan" realizes that. I guess we'll see!

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Here is an edited version of vote getters from this site:
                    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...t=27704&page=2

This complete list makes it 9 out of 11 teams SDSU is playing this year are ranked or receiving votes in this poll. This complete list shows Texas State as receiving votes also!!

By the way... 5 out of 6 home game opponents are on this list! WOW!

The complete list of teams receiving votes looks like this:

Others Receiving Votes: Princeton 130, Towson 111, San Diego 95, Central Arkansas 94, Lafayette 90, Stephen F. Austin 80, Lehigh 77, Georgia Southern 59, Northern Arizona 58, UC Davis 55, Alabama A&M 54, Liberty 45, Delaware State 43, Richmond 41, Holy Cross 33, Jackson State 31, Maine 30, Northwestern State 29, Texas State 28, Western Illinois 24, Jacksonville State 21, The Citadel 15, Eastern Washington 15, Eastern Kentucky 14, Florida A&M 11, Harvard 11, Bethune-Cookman 10, Tennessee State 10, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 9, Colgate 8, Central Connecticut State 4, Northeastern 1, Villanova 1, Weber State 1.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Shouldn't that be 10 out of 11. Western Illinois is right after Texas State! Too bad no one voted for S. Utah or or complete schedule would be on the list!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        Shouldn't that be 10 out of 11. Western Illinois is right after Texas State! Too bad no one voted for S. Utah or or complete schedule would be on the list!!!!

Good catch 74!! If you look at S. Utah their schedule might be the only on one that is more brutal than SDSU's. If they don't beat UND they could go 0-11 in some people's minds. And they will be better then last year according to SUU people in the know.
                        So in other words, I'm hoping the Jacks don't decide to fall asleep on SUU.
                        http://www.suu.edu/athletics/football/schedule.html

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Working...
                        X