Dakota Marker game on FSN  .  .  .  may

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dakota Marker game on FSN *. *. *. *may

And the year before that, WDAY decided on the Montana State game. They thought they could make more money on it out west.

Comment

I'll have to take a contrarian view to what seems to be the prevailing thought here. Let's see, the game is on November 11, we have an outdoors field. Don't know if that is a 50-50 chance if the weather is poor, but November 11 in South Dakota can certainly be iffy. If the weather is tough, a chance to watch the game on TV inside a warm house might appeal to a tremendous number of people who want to watch the game. And despite the Bison approach that they will bring a ton of people down, I suspect if it is on TV, a ton of them may stay home, weather or not. We need the maximum gate. There will be plenty of chances in the future to get "national exposure", whatever that means. I think our fans across the country can get the game online if they are interested. If the weather is good, and we get a sell-out crowd, I'll just be happy that it helps us meet budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        I'll have to take a contrarian view to what seems to be the prevailing thought here. Let's see, the game is on November 11, we have an outdoors field. Don't know if that is a 50-50 chance if the weather is poor, but November 11 in South Dakota can certainly be iffy. If the weather is tough, a chance to watch the game on TV inside a warm house might appeal to a tremendous number of people who want to watch the game. And despite the Bison approach that they will bring a ton of people down, I suspect if it is on TV, a ton of them may stay home, weather or not. We need the maximum gate. There will be plenty of chances in the future to get "national exposure", whatever that means. I think our fans across the country can get the game online if they are interested. If the weather is good, and we get a sell-out crowd, I'll just be happy that it helps us meet budget.
        Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that SDSU will webcast this game online. You might find an audio link but I don't think video is available.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbison View Post
          Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that SDSU will webcast this game online. You might find an audio link but I don't think video is available.
          We have covered this topic on another thread

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          You are wrong here. The premium package of on-demand live audio and video includes the following. This goes for the monthly or yearly subscribers:

1. Radio broadcasts will be streamed for all home & away contests in football, volleyball, basketball. Select soccer, baseball and softball will also be included
          2. Video for all six home football games along with all home volleyball games will be streamed live.
          3. Away contests in any sport will be streamed on our site only if that school's athletic website is run by XOS technology, which is the company that now runs gojacks.com

Comment

My opinion is, if the game can be on TV, it should be on TV. To decide not to put it on TV because "maybe" the gate will be less is foolish. Games on TV are better for recruiting, exposure, etc. To be able to say to people "The SDSU game is on FSN" would be awesome and would show that the move to D1 has made SDSU a bigtime program. I guarantee if we were still in D2 there wouldn't be any hope of getting a game on FSN, unless it was for the championship.

Comment

I agree totally. If we have an opportunity to get on FSN, we should take a shot at it. While is makes sense to speculate that the gate would suffer, we don't know how it would impact attendance for a major game until it happens. Keep in mind, State really needs to attract as much attention as they can from the rest of South Dakota and draw attention as the premier D1 school in the state.

It would only help the fan base.

go jacks

Comment

So let me get this straight... we're turning down a game to be aired on FSN, which reaches all of South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. because a few seats won't be filled?

Hells bells, I'd still go to the game, even if ESPN carried it!

I'm thinking its to protect this crappy pay-online service that can't broadcast a full game! Very small-minded thinking, SDSU!
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  So let me get this straight... we're turning down a game to be aired on FSN, which reaches all of South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. because a few seats won't be filled?

Hells bells, I'd still go to the game, even if ESPN carried it!

I'm thinking its to protect this crappy pay-online service that can't broadcast a full game! Very small-minded thinking, SDSU!
                  Our "crappy pay-online" service is far from that. First football game of the year that wasn't even controlled by SDSU (it was a WIU feed) and you're calling the online service crappy. I think giving it more of a chance would be a good idea.

The 15+ guys that were watching Jackrabbit football last Thursday at my house with my comptuer hooked up to my big screen all thought the service was better than listening to the radio. Were we upset when the feed got cut in the 3rd OT? Sure we were but it doesn't take away from the fact that 5 years ago watching video of an SDSU football game over the internet seemed out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Our "crappy pay-online" service is far from that. First football game of the year that wasn't even controlled by SDSU (it was a WIU feed) and you're calling the online service crappy. I think giving it more of a chance would be a good idea.

The 15+ guys that were watching Jackrabbit football last Thursday at my house with my comptuer hooked up to my big screen all thought the service was better than listening to the radio. Were we upset when the feed got cut in the 3rd OT? Sure we were but it doesn't take away from the fact that 5 years ago watching video of an SDSU football game over the internet seemed out of this world.

Well, i have to agree with both of you!

If we can be on FSN, then it needs to happen! Great exposure for SDSU! Maybe there is a good reason for not being on FSN but until I hear it I'm giving this the thumbs down. I have a lot of faith in the AD and they may have a good reason. THIS OFFER MAY NOT EVEN BE ON THE TABLE, does someone have verifiable information on this? If this game is for anything more than the Dakota Marker (which is enough), we should sell the thing out pretty easily! It wouldn't affect the gate!

The online broadcast was fine other than the fact that the broadcast ended to early! We will have to listen to the away TV crews but I can live with that. It would cost a small fortune to take our own crew for an internet broadcast. I'm giving this thing a little bit of slack!

My $.02!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Sorry if I came out a little harsh, but you'd think with starting this service up, you'd want to have a little more control over the first game's webcast, considering you're trying to put your best foot forward on this thing.

I think your average fan isn't going to care that Western Illinois controlled the feed. All they'll care about is the money they spent on what looked like SDSU dropping the ball.

First impressions are everything... and last Thursday wasn't a very good first impression
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Sorry if I came out a little harsh, but you'd think with starting this service up, you'd want to have a little more control over the first game's webcast, considering you're trying to put your best foot forward on this thing.

I think your average fan isn't going to care that Western Illinois controlled the feed. All they'll care about is the money they spent on what looked like SDSU dropping the ball.

First impressions are everything... and last Thursday wasn't a very good first impression
                        Don't disagree with your feeling that it could have been better!

At the end of the day, the question is would you have rather watched it on the internet/tv with the accompanying cost or listen to it on WNAX? For me, the internet broadcast was a bonus!

I love Steve Imming and he does a great job and I wish there was a way we could turn the sound off and listen to him and watch the video feed but there is a big delay with the internet broadcast.

It's a work in progress and I look forward to things getting better. Hey, if nothing else the announcers will get a little more experience each week!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Re: Dakota Marker game on FSN . . . may

McFeely has a column on NDSU and FSN North. I would have to agree with the Bison on this one, it seems like money well spent.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

North Dakota State is spending $24,000 to get its football team into 3 million homes today. Officials at the school think that’s a bargain, and it’s hard to argue.

Contrary to the belief held by the rubes who inhabit cyberspace, FSN did not pick up the game because of NDSU’s universal and spreading-like-wildfire popularity. No, the Bison are paying for the privilege.

NDSU is working on getting its Nov. 10 football game at South Dakota State and its Dec. 15 men’s basketball game against Colorado State on FSN. Same deal, the Bison will buy their way on the air.
                          If they so much as break even on those games, expect more in the future.
                          “We struggled internally with whether to have home games on TV. Would it hurt attendance?” Taylor said. “What we’ve learned is that a school like Montana didn’t start selling out its football games until they went on statewide TV. People were exposed to the games and said, ‘That looks like fun.’ We’re hoping the same type of thing happens.”

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

NDSU's game against SF Austin has just started on FSN.

Comment

XOS doesn't work like that. If you're picking up somebody's feed, they control everything about the content (including the feed's creation and the server details and timing with XOS) and XOS simply routes the video WIU created and uploaded during their server window to a link on your site. This isn't magic, it's actually very simple. SDSU had literally zero control over that video feed.

Implicit in these criticisms are a suggestion that somebody at SDSU somehow screwed up. Considering that WIU handled the logistics and XOS simply passed a link to gojacks.com, I really don't get how you anyone could come to that conclusion.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree, if the game can be on TV is should. There might be some who stay home to watch it on TV. TV expands your potential market. If it's on TV, a lot of people who might not currently consider attending will get a chance to look at the product. Besides, the Dakota Marker game would be well-attended anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X