2008 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 recruiting class

I'm impressed by O'Brien, granted that is a highlight tape so of course its going to make him look good. But it does feel good to get a player NDSU wanted badly

Comment

Tyrel Kool, 5'10" 180. That sounds kind of small.

Then look at Kyle Minett. He couldn't have wieghed over 180 lbs either.
      http://hsminnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=3...=1&nid=2221226

Give Kool a redshirt year and he'll be over 200 lbs.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        Tyrel Kool, 5'10" 180. That sounds kind of small.

Then look at Kyle Minett. He couldn't have wieghed over 180 lbs either.
        http://hsminnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=3...=1&nid=2221226

Give Kool a redshirt year and he'll be over 200 lbs.
        I think 5' 10" might be a reach. I can see Tyrel at 190 but not much more. When you run a 4.4 you don't have to be huge.

Comment

More information on new Jacks recruit Josiah Fitzsimmons from Ames Iowa:

http://hsiowa.scout.com/a.z?s=163&p=8&c=1&nid=3129451

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            More information on new Jacks recruit Josiah Fitzsimmons from Ames Iowa:

http://hsiowa.scout.com/a.z?s=163&p=8&c=1&nid=3129451
            Wow, I see he was being recruited by the Ivy League teams. He must be an academic all-star as well.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

From Terry's basketball blog last night:

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp...blog-1210.html

"On a different front, just got a call from another football verbal: Josiah Fitzsimmons of Ames, Iowa. Sounds like he’ll play defensive end, converting from a prep linebacker. This was his first offer (it came in July), but he had been talking with the Iowa coaches and visited Wyoming during the season."

Comment

From Terry V.

"Having spoken with all four of the football players that have verbally committed to SDSU, it seems that none of them were especially influenced by the facility announcement, getting into the Gateway or the Great West title. The top reason for committing cited by all four: The coaching staff. In other words, don’t expect success to change the Jacks’ recruiting philosophy. Just because they will soon have a shiny new building doesn’t mean they’ll begin to covet the kids that put a lot of stock in that sort of thing."

Comment

Talked with Kool's mom at the basketball game tonight. She couldn't be happier with his decision. She had hoped this all along and told me that over a year ago, but did not want to force him down any road. He made his "official" verbal Sunday night. She was elated. The biggest reason, as you would expect, was Coach Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    I'm impressed by O'Brien, granted that is a highlight tape so of course its going to make him look good. But it does feel good to get a player NDSU wanted badly
                    Looks like a pretty good arm to me. He could be part of solid passing game. I imagine the Winona State Warriors did not offer him a dime. I believe that is how we got Brad Nelson. Sawyer is a bang up coach at WSU, but does not have funds to even make the 24 level in the NSIC. Tom deserves better and am glad he is coming to SDSU.

To beat out NDSU is a good sign of whats happening this year in recruiting. The other three verbals are excellent, espeically Kool. If he learns to follow the fat boys (Offensive Lineman) like Coach Stig calls them , he will put up some yards totals. Slowly but surely, the football program is progressing to a new level. Its good that we can get a top recruit out of Yankton. I trying to think of the few we have had over the years from Yankton, Reiner is one, and Willie Bell and hopefully we get a bunch more in the future. Yankton has been solid in high school football for nearly sixty years. I don't think there have been many losing seasons in Yankton so thats one place where our coaches need to keep an eye open. Oh yes only 26 miles from Vermillion.

Comment

Just wanted to add that I coached Tyrell in little league baseball for a couple of years when he was 14 and 15. He will be a nice addition to the team....
                      We also went 26 - 4 in those two years!

Comment

Who are the four verbals, hometowns, and positions? I could look it up, but laziness has kicked in.
                        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
                          Who are the four verbals, hometowns, and positions? I could look it up, but laziness has kicked in.
                          I know this
                          O'brian from Winona Minnesota QB
                          Kool from Yankton RB/DB
                          Fitsimmions from Ames Iowa LB but will probably play DE
                          and I think a Frick who is a lineman from Hull/Rock Valley Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            To beat out NDSU is a good sign of whats happening this year in recruiting. The other three verbals are excellent, espeically Kool. If he learns to follow the fat boys (Offensive Lineman) like Coach Stig calls them , he will put up some yards totals. Slowly but surely, the football program is progressing to a new level. Its good that we can get a top recruit out of Yankton. I trying to think of the few we have had over the years from Yankton, Reiner is one, and Willie Bell and hopefully we get a bunch more in the future. Yankton has been solid in high school football for nearly sixty years. I don't think there have been many losing seasons in Yankton so thats one place where our coaches need to keep an eye open. Oh yes only 26 miles from Vermillion.
                            There have been a few from Yankton area, Jay Sohler, KC Johnson, Scott Nedved, Willie Jones, Brian Thunker and Chris Reiner. Forgot Lance Wipf. Probably more, but off the top of my head that is all I can think of. I am hopefull that this is a sign of things to come out of this area. One thing you mentioned about Kool was if he could learn to follow blocks. Although he was injured much of the season with a bad ankle, that is one of the things I really noticed about him this year. He was no longer trying to get outside and outrun everyone, but was following closely to his blocks and reading the defense. I think he will pick that up easily during his redshirt year.
                            Last edited by Jack4Life; 12-12-2007, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Article about O'Brien and his mom who is battling cancer. This was the article he got for being player of the year in his area.
                              http://www.winonadailynews.com/artic...rts/00lead.txt

Comment

O'brien's ability to hit his recievers in stride impresses me alot. That equals big play opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                                X