Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    We got 5 commits according to Stig and have 5 more offers on the table as of right now.

I only know of Kool and O'Brien. So it seems we must have had some commits between the last confirmed (Kool) and today (1/2/07).
    Don't we have someone from NW Iowa, like Rock Valley or that area and another from central Iowa (Ames)?

Comment

Jacks have a high interest in Greg Fleming.
      http://hsminnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=3...=1&nid=2998617

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
        Jacks have a high interest in Greg Fleming.
        http://hsminnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=3...=1&nid=2998617
        Looks like we are fighting the big boys on that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
          Don't we have someone from NW Iowa, like Rock Valley or that area and another from central Iowa (Ames)?
          Ya there is a lineman from Hull-Rock Valley HS and a DE from Ames Iowa.... The DE played LB in high school and had looks from Iowa and Iowa State... There is also a TE from Winner.... Terry V has the names on his blog......

Comment

I think it is very evident that we must recruit as much speed as we can. Our strength and off season conditioning programs can make the boys bigger and stronger, just real hard to teach speed. Quickness is something that can be improved with hard work. After watching the teams will play against and some of our future oppenents that is one thing that always has to be looked at when recruiting a player. of course a talented player can not be overloooked because he is not a speed demon.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan View Post
              I think it is very evident that we must recruit as much speed as we can. Our strength and off season conditioning programs can make the boys bigger and stronger, just real hard to teach speed. Quickness is something that can be improved with hard work. After watching the teams will play against and some of our future oppenents that is one thing that always has to be looked at when recruiting a player. of course a talented player can not be overloooked because he is not a speed demon.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
              Your right on the money, if you look at the Big 10...that is what usually kills them when they get to the big game....smashmouth FB is a thing of the past, just like the old commercial...speed kills.....and for the jacks to make the jump from top 25 to top 10 they need to get more fast feet in the skill positions...and that is not an easy task, for any program....pecking order almost always rules
              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
              Muhammad Ali

Comment

I heard a good point on ESPN Radio this morning talking about speed. They were referencing Ohio State last year and said they had speed, but Florida played faster. I know that sounds stupid, but when you think about it, this is true. You need foot speed, but the team needs to be able to play fast and aggressive. I think that has been the most noticeable difference in the Jacks the last couple of years. We are starting to play fast. I first noticed this at our game with Central Arkansas a couple years ago. We need to continue looking for the type of athlete that plays fast and hard and keep trying to get faster. Like it was said in an earlier post, the strenght will come with training.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                  I heard a good point on ESPN Radio this morning talking about speed. They were referencing Ohio State last year and said they had speed, but Florida played faster. I know that sounds stupid, but when you think about it, this is true. You need foot speed, but the team needs to be able to play fast and aggressive. I think that has been the most noticeable difference in the Jacks the last couple of years. We are starting to play fast. I first noticed this at our game with Central Arkansas a couple years ago. We need to continue looking for the type of athlete that plays fast and hard and keep trying to get faster. Like it was said in an earlier post, the strenght will come with training.
                  Look at the OU/West Virginia game. West Virginia has some nice speed guys on offense, but clearly, OU has the edge in team speed and might be one of the fastest teams in the country. But... West Virginia was agressive and (as the announcers mentioned) seemed to be playing faster than OU. So apparently you can be fast, but not play fast.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Look at the OU/West Virginia game. West Virginia has some nice speed guys on offense, but clearly, OU has the edge in team speed and might be one of the fastest teams in the country. But... West Virginia was agressive and (as the announcers mentioned) seemed to be playing faster than OU. So apparently you can be fast, but not play fast.
                    I think that is the coaching coming out in players. One thing I was impressed with on defense this year was how we always seemed to swarm to the ball, I think we played very fast on defense. If a player is confident in his assignments and knows where he is going on the field he will play "faster" than a guy who maybe isn't. You can have a world class sprinter at WR, but if he doesn't run good routes or know where he is going he won't be effective.

Not sure if that makes sense at all, but to me thats the difference in being fast and playing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      I think that is the coaching coming out in players. One thing I was impressed with on defense this year was how we always seemed to swarm to the ball, I think we played very fast on defense. If a player is confident in his assignments and knows where he is going on the field he will play "faster" than a guy who maybe isn't. You can have a world class sprinter at WR, but if he doesn't run good routes or know where he is going he won't be effective.

Not sure if that makes sense at all, but to me thats the difference in being fast and playing fast.
                      I totally agree with that. When I think of players like that, I think of Josh Davis when he played for us. He might not have been the fastest guy on the field but he was so confident in his ability to run routes with precision and with his ability to make plays he played at break neck speed. He made a lot of DBs look awfully foolish.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

It's kind of like physics. I know what a lot of the theories are, but have a hard time explaining them. I think we are all on the same page and know what "playing fast" is, but you have to see it cause it is hard to explain.

I do know that I am seeing the Jacks "playing fast" in recent years, especially on defense. I hope to see this continue.

Comment

I believe with the type of athlete we have recruited since the move to D-1 you can see that and it will only get better. The young guys coming in are probably move athletic (as a group) than we have ever had at SDSU. I get excited thinking about it.......

Go jacks !!!!!!!
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

• Re: 2008 recruiting class

Terry mentioned in his live blog of the men's BB team last night that we received another verbal commitment. It was listed in the sports brief section of the print version of the Argus. Of course they didn't update the sports brief section in the online version today. Here it is:

Tyler Luethje, a 6-foot-5, 250-pound offensive lineman from Gladbrook-Reinbeck (Iowa) has verbally committed to South Dakota State, the football team’s sixth recruit.
                            That makes this list of six as follows:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                            Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                            John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                            Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                            Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                            Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.

Any chance the moderators can merge this thread with the "2008 Recruits" thread????

Comment

SDSU has offered a scholarship to Whitefish Bay (WI) wide receiver Lars Knudsen (6-5, 180).

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot....asp?nid=14639
                              Marlin Lee - Writer/Scout for www.WisFootball.net, Wisconsin Gridiron Guide, and WSN Illustrated

Comment

Originally posted by Marlins View Post
                                SDSU has offered a scholarship to Whitefish Bay (WI) wide receiver Lars Knudsen (6-5, 180).

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot....asp?nid=14639
                                -Ranked as WisFootball.net's No. 2 wide receiver in the class of 2008, it was just a matter of time before Whitefish Bay's Lars Knudsen (6-5, 180) started to accumulate scholarship offers. And boy has he...four to be specific.

“I got offered by St. Cloud State, University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University, and Grand Valley State,” Knudsen said.
                                Something just seems out of place in that list of who's offered Lars. Either we're onto something, or on something.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X