Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Western Illinois

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
    Easy for a Bison fan to say. You guys have the right attitude and will destroy your first opponent. I just want to be as good or better than the bison.
    everyone has bad games, we had quite a few bad games last year just got really really lucky a few times.
    Like the UC-Davis game that was ridiculous

but im sure no one wants to hear from a bison fan tonight. so i leave you guys alone

go state-both of them
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Tough loss, nothing else I can say. Stig will try to right things before we go into Youngstown, a damn good FCS program. I like our chances if we can figure out the QB situation.

If it helps, usd trails 48-30 in the 4th. I'll listen to the end of that game because its on the radio here in Yankton.

Well, I'm afraid we will need more than improved QB play next week. Next week is not a team equal to W. Ill. It's a team that's better. And it's another long haul. We'll need to play very well, eliminate silly penalities (which we always have), be able to run to the outside and get a fair amount out of the passing game. Youngstown is, many years, an eliete team. Our work is cut out for us, to be sure.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

JimmyJack- sorry dude, but that attitude of 7-4 being ok is why we will never be any better than 7-4!!!!
        Fans need to demand more, most guys tonight paid $100 to watch the jacks during the year. A lot will spend a lot more going to games, buying season tickets, merchandise, etc. Why can't we expect 8-3, 9-2 or 10-1 records? I THINK 7-4 SUCKS. The athletic department is charging more and more money for season tickets, they changed how you get season tickets based upon how much money you donate to the university. their explanation as to why they are now doing this: because this is what programs like Notre Dame and other do it in D1. This athletic department pulls that kind of stuff, I demand better!
        I think your expectations are appropriate. Your forwardness will draw some criticism and thats okay. Next time you speak with Coach Stig express your concerns, thats what I did. His explanation was more than adequate in my opinion. You could ask Fred the same questions, he has answers too.

Lets get ready for next weekend.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd View Post
          everyone has bad games, we had quite a few bad games last year just got really really lucky a few times.
          Like the UC-Davis game that was ridiculous

but im sure no one wants to hear from a bison fan tonight. so i leave you guys alone

go state-both of them
          I appreciate your support. I have quite a few Bison friends, who were players and coaches. You guys will give UofM another run this year.

Comment

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!

Come on folks, it was a road quadruple-overtime loss to an established FCS team from the conference we're lucky enough to be moving into next year.

Yeah, Berry played poorly tonight. Yeah, you can criticize the coaches.

I think Berry will be OK. I think the football team will be OK.

I think I need another Boulevard Lunar Ale.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

JimmyJack- sorry dude, but that attitude of 7-4 being ok is why we will never be any better than 7-4!!!!
              Fans need to demand more, most guys tonight paid $100 to watch the jacks during the year. A lot will spend a lot more going to games, buying season tickets, merchandise, etc. Why can't we expect 8-3, 9-2 or 10-1 records? I THINK 7-4 SUCKS. The athletic department is charging more and more money for season tickets, they changed how you get season tickets based upon how much money you donate to the university. their explanation as to why they are now doing this: because this is what programs like Notre Dame and other do it in D1. This athletic department pulls that kind of stuff, I demand better!
              I'm not going to sit back and argue all night about how wrong you are but here is my final thoughts.

7-4 isn't great but 8-3 makes the playoffs. Its games like this that do make the difference and we all have every right to be disappointed in the loss. I can guarantee you the coaches and players are. They will go back and break down film and make much more educated decisions about what needs to happen than any of us here. Its attitudes like yours that seperate us from NDSU. You want to be elite...behave like it. Don't bitch about giving up $100, next time give $200. I am sure there are plenty of NDSU fans that are visiting here that will tell you they would give much more and there program was no better than ours three years ago.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I think your expectations are appropriate. Your forwardness will draw some criticism and thats okay. Next time you speak with Coach Stig express your concerns, thats what I did. His explanation was more than adequate in my opinion. You could ask Fred the same questions, he has answers too.

Lets get ready for next weekend.
                I only get to one game a year, the Beef Bowl for the player reunion. I think I will take your suggestion and say something to Fred and/or Stig.

Comment

Stig's comments:

Wide open receivers: That's going to happen sometimes. But mental mistakes. Down on 5 yard line, 2nd and goal and we had 12 guys on the field. That falls on me.

The mental part is something we can control.

Their QB deserves credit.

We did some good things (on defense); That QB is a running back. He rolls out all the sudden you got a running back running the football. He's going to be a great player.

Disappointment: We made some mental mistakes tonight and that's disappointing.

I don't mind if you go hard and somebody beats you physically, but when you screw up mentally, that to me is so discouraging.

Halftime: Our guys went into the locker room feeling good. They felt like they could come out and win this football game.

There are so many plays in this football game where we could've won it.

Trevor Hohn: We think he tore a meniscus or medial collateral, not a season ending injury but something that will slow him down.

Ryan (Berry) made some really good plays. He made some errors. But he did stand in the pocket... We're going to build on that positive.

We're beyond playing people close and feeling good. We should have won this football game. We had opportunities. We're going to regroup. We have to play better. We will play better.

Koenig: Unbelievable. He is a football player and a fun guy to watch. You're disappointed for a guy who has that good a night and you don't come up with a win.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Lunar is a good ale, a little yeasty for the average beer drinker but a nice change of pace. I'm flat out of beer, poor planning on my part. Glad I don't have to ride a bus home tonight.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think that says it about as well as you can:
                      We're beyond playing people close and feeling good. We should have won this football game. We had opportunities. We're going to regroup. We have to play better. We will play better.
                      We should have won that game. We didn't. We move on.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        We hit 150 on the old board, during the WNIT, I believe.
                        Looks like we peaked out at 130 tonight, users and guests.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The good and bad from Stig's comments:

Stig on wide open receivers: That's going to happen sometimes. But mental mistakes. Down on 5 yard line, 2nd and goal and we had 12 guys on the field. That falls on me.

BAD: Sometimes ... but we can't ... CANNOT ... miss two or three big passes a game at this level. It's not acceptable.

Stig on Ryan (Berry) made some really good plays. He made some errors. But he did stand in the pocket... We're going to build on that positive.

BAD: Standing in the pocket is fine, but not a lot of good if open receivers are missed.

Stig in general: We're beyond playing people close and feeling good. We should have won this football game. We had opportunities. We're going to regroup. We have to play better. We will play better.

GOOD: Agreed. Well said.

Stig on Koenig: Unbelievable. He is a football player and a fun guy to watch. You're disappointed for a guy who has that good a night and you don't come up with a win.

GOOD: Agreed again. Indeed.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                            I'm not going to sit back and argue all night about how wrong you are but here is my final thoughts.

7-4 isn't great but 8-3 makes the playoffs. Its games like this that do make the difference and we all have every right to be disappointed in the loss. I can guarantee you the coaches and players are. They will go back and break down film and make much more educated decisions about what needs to happen than any of us here. Its attitudes like yours that seperate us from NDSU. You want to be elite...behave like it. Don't bitch about giving up $100, next time give $200. I am sure there are plenty of NDSU fans that are visiting here that will tell you they would give much more and there program was no better than ours three years ago.
                            I don't bitch about giving to the program, I give plenty. All I am saying is they ask for more from Alumni and former players, I can ask for more that 6-5 or 7-4.
                            Sure 8-3 can make the playoffs, but from what you see tonight can this team be 8-3? We have been 8-3 one time in the last 15 years.

Comment

Well, dude, I previously taught at a university where nobody cares about student athletes. They want 11 wins and couldn't care less that less than 20 percent of the football team graduates. If you want that sort of approach to the game, you should look into the job market in Norman, OK or Gainesville, FL. Bob "What graduation problem?" Stoops and Urban "felony? What felony?" Meyer are your men. You can feel tough and live off the domination of the 20-percenters on the football field and not care that nobody's learning anything. That's not for me.

I want good kids who compete hard and behave themselves off the field. We're South Dakota State, where our student athletes graduate at nearly an 80 percent rate (20-some percent better than the rest of our students) and where we retain 80 percent of our freshmen (national average: 54 percent.) 7-4 and an 80 percent graduation rate are, in fact, things to be very, very proud of. I heard WIU's AD bragging tonight at halftime about four or five of his sports where teams are above 3.0 in GPA. Yippee! Twenty of our 21 sports are over 3.0, including football.

So you can panic and call for coaches to resign because of one four-overtime loss. I'll take pride in our athletic programs and in coaches who care about winning on and off the field. Stig's a quality guy and he brings in quality kids. He'll get them turned around and even with sub-par QB play they'll win six or seven games this year. I'll be perfectly happy with that. Sorry I can't share your outrage at the prospect of a 7-4 season.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                Well, dude, I previously taught at a university where nobody cares about student athletes. They want 11 wins and couldn't care less that less than 20 percent of the football team graduates. If you want that sort of approach to the game, you should look into the job market in Norman, OK or Gainesville, FL. Bob "What graduation problem?" Stoops and Urban "felony? What felony?" Meyer are your men. You can feel tough and live off the domination of the 20-percenters on the football field and not care that nobody's learning anything. That's not for me.

I want good kids who compete hard and behave themselves off the field. We're South Dakota State, where our student athletes graduate at nearly an 80 percent rate (20-some percent better than the rest of our students) and where we retain 80 percent of our freshmen (national average: 54 percent.) 7-4 and an 80 percent graduation rate are, in fact, things to be very, very proud of. I heard WIU's AD bragging tonight at halftime about four or five of his sports where teams are above 3.0 in GPA. Yippee! Twenty of our 21 sports are over 3.0, including football.

So you can panic and call for coaches to resign because of one four-overtime loss. I'll take pride in our athletic programs and in coaches who care about winning on and off the field. Stig's a quality guy and he brings in quality kids. He'll get them turned around and even with sub-par QB play they'll win six or seven games this year. I'll be perfectly happy with that. Sorry I can't share your outrage at the prospect of a 7-4 season.
                                Well said JimmyJack, agree with you here.

Comment

Working...
                                X