Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Playoff Game Week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

    I'm of the opinion that if Stig wanted to save Wes for next year, he should have saved him until the playoffs (4 total games, including the natty with a seed). I dont understand why we burned two of his games earlier and are now trying to figure when to sit him in the most important games of the season. The flip side is that who knows if we make the playoffs or earn a seed if Wes didn't play in the games he's already burned this year. But I'm not sure if that argument holds water when you consider that we went 1-1 in his two games. No doubt, he made a big impact in both games. But I'm not sure our record is any different if he didn't play in those two.

    I think it would be monumentally dumb to hold him out at any point in the playoffs if you think he gives us the best chance to win. If that was the main concern, he shouldn't have come back in the regular season, imo. I also have to imagine that his inconsistent presence can't be doing any wonders for our o line chemistry and cohesiveness, let alone Heide's snap count/timing. And finally, I'm sure Wes has his own thoughts on this, which is the most important opinion of all. But I dont understand bringing him back in game 10, when you know you're on track for a top 8 seed and could save him for 4 playoff games. On the other hand, if you thought it was dire enough to bring him back that early, why not play him every game going forward? I could maybe understand holding him out of the second round if we had gotten an easier draw (Monmouth, CCSU, etc.) AND he only had 3 games left. I could understand that. But I dont know what the thought process is in this case if you hold him out of any of our playoff games going forward, given our likely opponents.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

      Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      If Wes Genant is healthy and the best option (player) at the Center position then he should play every game from this point on. Stig should be coaching to win games and not worry about eligibility next year if this TEAM has a chance for the title game. Team doesn’t have an I (individual) in it.
      Matt Clark was 2nd team all MVFC selection.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

        Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I'm of the opinion that if Stig wanted to save Wes for next year, he should have saved him until the playoffs (4 total games, including the natty with a seed). I dont understand why we burned two of his games earlier and are now trying to figure when to sit him in the most important games of the season. The flip side is that who knows if we make the playoffs or earn a seed if Wes didn't play in the games he's already burned this year. But I'm not sure if that argument holds water when you consider that we went 1-1 in his two games. No doubt, he made a big impact in both games. But I'm not sure our record is any different if he didn't play in those two.

        I think it would be monumentally dumb to hold him out at any point in the playoffs if you think he gives us the best chance to win. If that was the main concern, he shouldn't have come back in the regular season, imo. I also have to imagine that his inconsistent presence can't be doing any wonders for our o line chemistry and cohesiveness, let alone Heide's snap count/timing. And finally, I'm sure Wes has his own thoughts on this, which is the most important opinion of all. But I dont understand bringing him back in game 10, when you know you're on track for a top 8 seed and could save him for 4 playoff games. On the other hand, if you thought it was dire enough to bring him back that early, why not play him every game going forward? I could maybe understand holding him out of the second round if we had gotten an easier draw (Monmouth, CCSU, etc.) AND he only had 3 games left. I could understand that. But I dont know what the thought process is in this case if you hold him out of any of our playoff games going forward, given our likely opponents.
        Yeah I don't think Stig gets to decide if they burn kids year with out there approval. Maybe for Wes its more important to come back fully healthy next year and not burn a season playing just a few games. I don't think the win now no matter the cost is the right approach. IMHO its a case by case basis. Its not as big of a deal for Heide who can still redshirt in the future so playing him half the season is sort of the draw you get being 2nd or 3rd string backup. But for a guy coming off an injury its a little harder to tell them a season is almost wasted. I think there is a balance for play now to win but also look to the future. I don't think there is any perfect way to handle this sort of situation and trust the coaches and players to do what is best for them.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

        Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

          Originally posted by goon View Post
          Yeah I don't think Stig gets to decide if they burn kids year with out there approval. Maybe for Wes its more important to come back fully healthy next year and not burn a season playing just a few games. I don't think the win now no matter the cost is the right approach. IMHO its a case by case basis. Its not as big of a deal for Heide who can still redshirt in the future so playing him half the season is sort of the draw you get being 2nd or 3rd string backup. But for a guy coming off an injury its a little harder to tell them a season is almost wasted. I think there is a balance for play now to win but also look to the future. I don't think there is any perfect way to handle this sort of situation and trust the coaches and players to do what is best for them.
          Agreed. I'm not saying it shouldn't be his choice. But I dont understand bringing him back in week 10 and now trying to save his redshirt. If you wanted to save his redshirt and still let him play this year, then holding him out for the playoffs makes the most sense.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

            Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            If Wes Genant is healthy and the best option (player) at the Center position then he should play every game from this point on. Stig should be coaching to win games and not worry about eligibility next year if this TEAM has a chance for the title game. Team doesn’t have an I (individual) in it.
            Don't agree. This is Wes's decision. He has NFL aspirations and needs a full year healthy to try to get to that level. If Wes agrees to forego next season that's fine but he shouldn't be forced into it. He has to do what is best for him and his future.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

              For UNI do they have anyone coming back who missed the last game or anyplayers who played last time that are out for this game? Like we are with Wilson and Strong?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

              Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                FWIW, Wilson was listed on the depth chart that was just released, but PSJ was not.

                UNI is waiting to hear about their WR #1, WR #2, LB #1, and #1 TE that was injured against Iowa State. Not sure on the likelihood of any of those guys playing, but I'd expect at least one or two of them.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                  Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  FWIW, Wilson was listed on the depth chart that was just released, but PSJ was not.

                  UNI is waiting to hear about their WR #1, WR #2, LB #1, and #1 TE that was injured against Iowa State. Not sure on the likelihood of any of those guys playing, but I'd expect at least one or two of them.
                  Where can you find the depth charts?
                  Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                    Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                    Where can you find the depth charts?
                    Click on SDSU game notes.
                    https://gojacks.com/news/2019/12/4/f...n-rematch.aspx

                    *Of note. Michael Wandmaker, WR is no longer listed on the roster. I believe Stig said in his weekly show he had left the team.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                      Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                      FWIW, Wilson was listed on the depth chart that was just released, but PSJ was not.

                      UNI is waiting to hear about their WR #1, WR #2, LB #1, and #1 TE that was injured against Iowa State. Not sure on the likelihood of any of those guys playing, but I'd expect at least one or two of them.
                      Genent listed at C also.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                      Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                        Going to see anymore freshman play up to their 4 games? I see Caden Johnson has won Scout Team Defensive Player of the Week a few times.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                          Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Genent listed at C also.
                          Stig said on his radio program that Genant and Marshon Harris would both play on Saturday.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                            Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Stig said on his radio program that Genant and Marshon Harris would both play on Saturday.
                            Both have missed most of the year with injury. has Marshon played much? seems I Gardner, Evans and Gales are getting a lot of snaps and in the game notes it says he played 2 games but don't recall which 2 he was in.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                            Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                              Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              FWIW, Wilson was listed on the depth chart that was just released, but PSJ was not.

                              UNI is waiting to hear about their WR #1, WR #2, LB #1, and #1 TE that was injured against Iowa State. Not sure on the likelihood of any of those guys playing, but I'd expect at least one or two of them.
                              Pierre Gone's injury sure seemed serious enough that he won't play this season. Part of me thinks he shouldn't play the rest of the year and come back 100% healthy. Especially with the opponents we could have in the next couple rounds.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: UNI Playoff Game Week

                                Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Both have missed most of the year with injury. has Marshon played much? seems I Gardner, Evans and Gales are getting a lot of snaps and in the game notes it says he played 2 games but don't recall which 2 he was in.
                                Marshon played against UNI and USD. Limited snaps. If Isaiah Weston doesn’t play, I’d hope we would save Marshon for a more pass heavy offense than what UNI has. They still want to preserve his RS.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X