College GameDay Celebrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College GameDay Celebrity

Zenner was released by Saints; seems he'd be a great choice if willing.

Comment

Thus the reason I said... NO POLITICIANS.

As stated earlier, politicians are NOT celebrities.

Also, that's just lazy to pick a politician.We need someone unique to South Dakota and that has name recognition.

I still think "Williams and Ree" would be the best. Completely South Dakotan, and I'm betting their back and forth with Lee Corso would be comedy gold.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        I mentioned Dwyane Wade would be the guest picker because his nephew is on the Jacks roster and his wife, Gabrielle Union, was guest picker in Lincoln earlier this year. Then I was informed that Torren is Gabrielle's nephew but not Dwyane's. Doesn't make sense to me. My wife's brother's son is still my nephew. Not sure why he wouldn't be Dwyane's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
        Let me see if I understand what you're writing: (My) your wife's brother's son is still (my) your nephew. Not sure why he wouldn't be Dwyane's.

So, you're now accusing Dwyane Wade....oh, never mind.

Here's how it works. I think most of us consider their spouse's relatives to be our relatives too. Like you, I may refer to my wife's brother's kid as my niece or nephew. But, technically, that's not accurate. My nieces and nephews are my siblings' kids. How about this one: my wife refers to my brother's wife as her sister-in-law. Common enough but not technically correct. My brother's wife is my sister-in-law to my wife, my brother's wife is just that: my brother's wife. It would be accurate for my wife to state my brother's wife is "my husband's sister-in-law" but that seems awfully cumbersome, doesn't it.

My brother (also a lawyer) once, jokingly, he thought, corrected my wife when my wife referred to his wife as her sister-in-law. He said "she's not your sister-in-law". I'm not sure my wife has ever forgotten that!

Who's on first?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Let me see if I understand what you're writing: (My) your wife's brother's son is still (my) your nephew. Not sure why he wouldn't be Dwyane's.

Here's how it works. I think most of us consider their spouse's relatives to be our relatives too. Like you, I may refer to my wife's brother's kid as my niece or nephew. But, technically, that's not accurate. My nieces and nephews are my siblings' kids. How about this one: my wife refers to my brother's wife as her sister-in-law. Common enough but not technically correct. My brother's wife is my sister-in-law to my wife, my brother's wife is just that: my brother's wife. It would be accurate for my wife to state my brother's wife is "my husband's sister-in-law" but that seems awfully cumbersome, doesn't it.

My brother (also a lawyer) once, jokingly, he thought, corrected my wife when my wife referred to his wife as her sister-in-law. He said "she's not your sister-in-law". I'm not sure my wife has ever forgotten that!

Who's on first?

So your saying my niece on my wife's side of the family isn't my niece even though we are related by marriage? You really must be a lawyer because that doesn't make sense. It sounds like the Chewbacca defense.

So lawyers of the world they are the offspring of their spouses siblings. To normal people they are their nieces and nephews. Got it.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My vote is Zenner. Alum, role model...

Comment

Who's on first?
              I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification. I vote Zenner, too.

Carry on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                So your saying my niece on my wife's side of the family isn't my niece even though we are related by marriage? You really must be a lawyer because that doesn't make sense. It sounds like the Chewbacca defense.

So lawyers of the world they are the offspring of their spouses siblings. To normal people they are their nieces and nephews. Got it.
                Most people are informal about this: I refer to my wife's blood nephews and nieces as my nephews and nieces. But "technically" (as in rules of inheritance) it doesn't work that way. Enough on that b.s.

Zenner would be a great choice.

Oh, and Goon, I am pleased you disagree. [On the "signs" thread, I laughed my head off about your "Laughter is the best medicine...." Very funny! Good one!]
                Last edited by JackJD; 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Cleb DARK horse, Joey Fatone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ben Leber, while a Vermillion native, is in the region
                    Leber announces college football games every Saturday for Fox Sports, so he would be out.

My hopes: 1. Greenway. 2. Zenner 3. Timmerman.
                    The Lions just put Kerryon Johnson on the IR though, so I wouldn't be completely shocked if he re-signs with Detroit, thus making him unavailable.

Another name I haven't seen mentioned, Riley Rieff. Vikings play on Thursday night, so they do have a mini-bye this weekend. However, I would guess if he were to come back to SD for a 1 or 2 day trip it would not be to attend an SDSU football game but to pheasant hunt.

Comment

• Re: College GameDay Celebrity

How about Becky Hammond?
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        How about Becky Hammond?
                        Spurs have a game in San Antonio that night. I'd assume she needs to be present at a shoot around or film session or something that morning/afternoon.

Comment

Late entry but a good one: The Cross Country teams are not competing this weekend. Coach Rod DeHaven meets all the criteria: SDSU Alum; SD native; Olympian; and a hilarious public speaker— great interview. Rod’s a football fan and probably has a little to say about the Bison if asked.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                            My hopes: 1. Greenway. 2. Zenner 3. Timmerman.
                            The Lions just put Kerryon Johnson on the IR though, so I wouldn't be completely shocked if he re-signs with Detroit, thus making him unavailable.
                            Zenner got signed by the Saints.

1st edit: I thought Zenner was with Saints, but never mind. Didn't see he was released.

2nd edit: Zenner with Cardinals.
                            Last edited by SlapJack; 10-23-2019, 02:36 PM. Reason: Not staying up to date on SDSU Alum

Comment

Who's on first?
                              Originally posted by goon View Post

This is another first I think: discussing the proper terminology for referring to one's spouses' nieces/nephews. I daresay there are few other sports boards that have gone there.

ROFL.

Onward!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Rod DeHaven is a good choice, or Zenner.

Comment

Working...
                                X