Non-Conference Wrap Up Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Conference Wrap Up Thoughts

Thought I'd get this thread started to evaluate where we're at heading into the break and where the rest of the conference/FCS is at too.

I think we still have yet to play our best football, but I'm not disappointed with where we're at. Having J'Bore back last night added a spark, and as he gets healthier and more experience, I think we'll see him grow into a strong leader this fall.

Our O line has been inconsistent, but when they're playing well, they play really well. That inconsistency has me concerned that were going to come out flat in a game or two in October and have it cost us. They have to get sharper heading into Valley Play.

Our running backs are awesome and give us a huge advantage in both their individual attributes and their ability to let us grind out the clock. I think we saw it with UM, but this group (coupled with good O line play) gives us the ability to sustain long drives and wear down a D. And it keeps our D fresh. I have a feeling we're going to win a lot of Valley games at 24-7, 31-10, etc. We haven't had that type of ball control ability in a while, and with this D, that's a winning formula. Of course, this group is still explosive and can score quick, but I love our ability to win games on the ground this year.

The defense has been pretty damn good. I still think tackling needs to be better, but it's hard to complain about the results so far. I think this D will do really well aginst ISUr/YSU style offense's that are run heavy and don't have a really dynamic QB. I think SUU is pretty similar to what USD and SIU will do, so that's a positive sign too. My main concern is NDSU and UNI, who appear to have a little better QB play coupled with good rushing offenses. Our depth on D is great, and that will help carry this team. My hope is that our secondary can continue to develop and our D line can progress in the pass rush. If we can get consistent pressure on passing downs against UNI/NDSU while dropping 7 into coverage/spying the QB, we can win those games. The key is playing good ball control O to give the D rest in those games.

Special teams have had a few gaffs, but overall have been fantastic. They will win us a game this season.

Overall, I like where things are, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Penalties need to be cleaned up, more consistent O line play, and better tackling are big issues. SIU will be a good test on Hobo Day, and the road opener for the team against YSU the following week is huge. If we can get the W on Hobo Day and follow it up with a good win against YSU, this team will be in good shape heading to Terra Haute the next weekend. ISUB has won two in a row, but they haven't looked good to me. Outside of the possibility of a trap game scenario, I think we have a chance to head into the Marker game at 6-1.

I really wish we had a good OOC FCS game this season to judge where we are. The UM game is great, but it doesn't tell us much. Trafe the Drake game for a game agaibst Weber or NAU, and i think wed have a good idea.

I'd love to hear other''s thoughts on where we are.
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 09-22-2019, 12:06 PM.

Re: Non-Conference Wrap Up Thoughts

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Thought I'd get this thread started to evaluate where we're at heading into the break and where the ret of the conference/FCS is at too.

I think we still have yet to play our best football, but I'm not dis appointed with where we're at. Having J'Bore back last night added a spark, and as he gets healthier and more experience, I think we'll see him grow into a strong leader this fall.

Our O line has been inconsistent, but when they're playing well, they play really well. That inconsistency has me concerned that were going to come out flat in a game or two in October and have it cost us. They have to get sharper heading into Valley Play.

Our running backs are awesome and give us a huge advantage in both their individual attributes and their ability to let us grind out the clock. I think we saw it with UM, but this group (coupled with good O line play) gives us the ability to sustain long drives and wear down a D. And it keeps our D fresh. I have a feeling we're going to win a lot of Valley games at 24-7, 31-10, etc. We haven't had that type of ball control ability in a while, and with this D, that's a winning formula. Of course, this group is still explosive and can score quick, but I love our ability to win games on the ground this year.

The defense has been pretty damn good. I still think tackling needs to be better, but it's hard to complain about the results so far. I think this D will do really well aginst ISUr/YSU style offense's that are run heavy and don't have a really dynamic QB. I think SUU is pretty similar to what USD and SIU will do, so that's a positive sign too. My main concern is NDSU and UNI, who appear to have a little better QB play coupled with good rushing offenses. Our depth on D is great, and that will help carry this team. My hope is that our secondary can continue to develop and our D line can progress in the pass rush. If we can get consistent pressure on passing downs against UNI/NDSU while dropping 7 into coverage/spying the QB, we can win those games. The key is playing good ball control O to give the D rest in those games.

Special teams have had a few gaffs, but overall have been fantastic. They will win us a game this season.

Overall, I like where things are, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Penalties need to be cleaned up, more consistent O line play, and better tackling are big issues. SIU will be a good test on Hobo Day, and the road opener for the team against YSU the following week is huge. If we can get the W on Hobo Day and follow it up with a good win against YSU, this team will be in good shape heading to Terra Haute the next weekend. ISUB has won two in a row, but they haven't looked good to me. Outside of the possibility of a trap game scenario, I think we have a chance to head into the Marker game at 6-1.

I really wish we had a good OOC FCS game this season to judge where we are. The UM game is great, but it doesn't tell us much. Trafe the Drake game for a game agaibst Weber or NAU, and i think wed have a good idea.

I'd love to hear other''s thoughts on where we are.
    I think you've summed it up well.

Secondary play/depth is probably what I'm most concerned with given Davis' injury, but I believe Tyler mentioned in postgame that Harris should be back after bye.

Comment

Working...
    X