GDT: Drake Bulldogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

I might be criticized for stating an opinion that might be taken unfavorably, but that's ok, but here's my thoughts however right or wrong they may be......I think it's been Stigs and the coaching staff's M.O. lately to choose the best QB in the group and name him #1 and stick with him for 4 years come hell or high water,unless injured....no problem with that, all coaching staffs probably do the same (whether it's under their control or not,ie QB's leaving).Herein lies the dilemma this thread has brought forth about just how good should the 2nd string (and all other QB's) should be if it's a pretty widely accepted view that if your not #1, you might be looking at sitting on the bench or getting very limited playing time in your 4 yrs (assuming) time on the team. I assert that under these presumptions, any QB looking at this from a realistic view, who's just as good potentially or realistically, he's going to move on, if he plans on playing at the QB position.That said, this suggest's to me to expect the 2nd string QB to be just as good or dang close might be a little bit hoping for too much....it could happen, but mostly the pool under the 1st string QB is either very young and inexperienced, diluted from good prospects moving on , or bless their souls team members who stuck it out regardless and hung in there.....yes, their seems to alway's be a little drop off, and it should be expected, not looked at as a failure with any particular person, just the way the system plays out, usually.You have to change something in your system if you expect greater results, otherwise, it stays the same for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by JackAttack44 View Post
      My guess is that we are playing the long game. We are saving appearances for Heide. Heaven forbid if Gibbs is out for 1-3 conference games, I bet we see a Heide. Save a few emergency conference games without burning his redshirt. That’s my thought.
      This is it. Save Heide because that’s who will be playing if Gibbs is out. Hopefully you can still redshirt him.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        I think it has more to do with the talent and success SDSU has produced on a consistent basis and less to do with our location.
        You are confusing quality of players with Scheduling, they are two separate issues. I do agree we have been consistent in recruiting, but being off the beaten path is still a big time issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          You are confusing quality of players with Scheduling, they are two separate issues. I do agree we have been consistent in recruiting, but being off the beaten path is still a big time issue.
          You are the confused one. Teams don't want to come to Brookings and take a very likely non-conference loss because of the consistent talent.

Comment

Originally posted by JackAttack44 View Post
            My guess is that we are playing the long game. We are saving appearances for Heide. Heaven forbid if Gibbs is out for 1-3 conference games, I bet we see a Heide. Save a few emergency conference games without burning his redshirt. That’s my thought.
            This is the only logical explanation, and I really hope you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              This is the only logical explanation, and I really hope you're right.
              I would like to remind everyone that Gibbs didn't make the field in last years OOC schedule because he probably wasn't ready and is now the starting quarterback. I am not sure Heide is ready to run this offense yet either. It's a lot to ask of a true freshman even if they are extremely talented. I don't expect to see him again unless both J'bore and Kanin are injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                I would like to remind everyone that Gibbs didn't make the field in last years OOC schedule because he probably wasn't ready and is now the starting quarterback. I am not sure Heide is ready to run this offense yet either. It's a lot to ask of a true freshman even if they are extremely talented. I don't expect to see him again unless both J'bore and Kanin are injured.
                He also had a senior, junior and sophomore QB ahead of him on the depth chart with no injuries. The Pine Bluff game was essentially the second game of the season and even in a blowout it's difficult to play 3 QBs. I'm of the belief that if TC had gone down with an injury that would've spanned a few games we'd have seen at least a little of J'Bore.

The situation is totally different. Injured starter, a JR and 2 true freshman at QB. I can understand somewhat trying to save his redshirt but the kid needs game time too. What happens if there are injuries and he's thrust into the Bison game mid 3rd quarter of a tight game and his previous game snaps were against a transitioning D2 team. I don't think the kid should start this week but if we get up by 2-3 scores in the 3rd I'd like to see him out there running some offense. Heck I'm also not opposed to a Tyler Duffy situation. Give him the 3rd possession or the first full possession of the 2nd quarter. He's a smart kid, give him a limited package if you're worried about overwhelming him.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

I think a Heide redshirt is ideal to get him a class behind Gibbs. But I would still like to see him play in these early season blowouts. Gets him ready just in case we would need him in conference play. What are the odds Gibbs gets hurt after OOC is over? Decent odds I guess. Then redshirt Heide next year. If Gibbs gets hurt next year then you redshirt Heide the next year. I think you need to prepare Heide and I would bet some major money one of the next 3 years he will be able to get a red shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    You are the confused one. Teams don't want to come to Brookings and take a very likely non-conference loss because of the consistent talent.
                    Okay but we are not NDSU by any means nor do we have the resources to pay guarantees. Maybe we should load up Mt Rushmore on wheels move it to Huron or somewhere near Brookings. Then they will come. A pun intended. On a serious note fans from the east when arriving in Brookings have asked how far is to Mt. Rushmore? But I digress everyone hates the Drake.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Maybe we should load up Mt Rushmore on wheels move it to Huron or somewhere near Brookings.
                      Great idea. Then we can finally merge the 2 Dakotas and split it into East Dakota and West Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Great idea. Then we can finally merge the 2 Dakotas and split it into East Dakota and West Dakota.
                        A better idea yet! The Black Hills Tourism groups may object to the Mt. Rushmore move however!

Comment

Edit: posted in the wrong thread.

Comment

I'm not down on Kanin at all.

Yes, he missed some throws. People miss throws. He also made a couple pretty good throws.

Doesn't matter who is taking snaps behind the line, I'll be supporting them.

Honestly, if something else should happen to Gibbs (hopefully not, but it's Football), it was good for Nelson to have these games.

I too, thought the game plans for both of the last 2 games were pretty vanilla. And they were just trying to keep things basic.

I also think that Kanin will be working his butt off to be ready to go. He's not going to just roll over.

Comment

Nelson is far from perfect, but I think he's performing pretty decent for a backup QB with two career starts.

So far he is 18-26 (69% completion) for 267 yards and 3 TD's.

Yeah, he's made some bad throws, had a couple bad TO's on fumbles, and made a few poor decisions.

But he's also a backup QB making his first two starts of his career, and I think has admirably performed to those expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                                Nelson is far from perfect, but I think he's performing pretty decent for a backup QB with two career starts.

So far he is 18-26 (69% completion) for 267 yards and 3 TD's.

Yeah, he's made some bad throws, had a couple bad TO's on fumbles, and made a few poor decisions.

But he's also a backup QB making his first two starts of his career, and I think has admirably performed to those expectations.
                                You have to factor in who those starts were against.

Comment

Working...
                                X