Zimmers position analyses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimmers position analyses

Here is a link to Matt Z's analysis of the quarterback race.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...mp/1808300001/

Re: Zimmers position analyses

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Here is a link to Matt Z's analysis of the quarterback race.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...mp/1808300001/
    I've been told we'll have a 2 QB system to start the year. I think I'll believe that given the past. (Not trying to argue with what Matt wrote) WE shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      I've been told we'll have a 2 QB system to start the year. I think I'll believe that given the past. (Not trying to argue with what Matt wrote) WE shall see.

I just don't understand why this would be a good idea. If Walding was still here, then maybe you go Walding/Gibbs for a bit. Since he's not, just pick a guy and roll with him.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I just don't understand why this would be a good idea. If Walding was still here, then maybe you go Walding/Gibbs for a bit. Since he's not, just pick a guy and roll with him.
        Feels like the cowards way out.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I was okay with the 2 QB system if Wading was still playing, but I don't think it's a great idea at the moment. However, it might not be extremely detrimental either, especially in the non conference. We're likely looking at going 3-1 in the non-conference, and at least two of those games are going to be good chances to really see what our QB room can do. I'm not a fan of it, but I can tolerate it in the non-conference. Of more concern to me than who starts is what our depth is going to be if the starter goes down . If we clearly don't have great confidence in Gibbs yet, but he's still our best guy, the season could blow apart if he goes down. Nelson and/or Connors need to be ready to go or we're in serious trouble. Walding quitting (even if he wasnt going to start) has put us in a bad position. Personally, I have a good amount of confidence in Gibbs. The game at UM could be rough for him, but we've got a lot of talent to catch the ball, and we should be a run first team (including QB runs) this year, which takes some pressure off. I'd like to see him lock the job down in August but still have the coaches get the other QBs a lot of reps against Drake, LIU, and SUU.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            I was okay with the 2 QB system if Wading was still playing, but I don't think it's a great idea at the moment. However, it might not be extremely detrimental either, especially in the non conference. We're likely looking at going 3-1 in the non-conference, and at least two of those games are going to be good chances to really see what our QB room can do. I'm not a fan of it, but I can tolerate it in the non-conference. Of more concern to me than who starts is what our depth is going to be if the starter goes down . If we clearly don't have great confidence in Gibbs yet, but he's still our best guy, the season could blow apart if he goes down. Nelson and/or Connors need to be ready to go or we're in serious trouble. Walding quitting (even if he wasnt going to start) has put us in a bad position. Personally, I have a good amount of confidence in Gibbs. The game at UM could be rough for him, but we've got a lot of talent to catch the ball, and we should be a run first team (including QB runs) this year, which takes some pressure off. I'd like to see him lock the job down in August but still have the coaches get the other QBs a lot of reps against Drake, LIU, and SUU.
            I completely agree with getting Connors or Nelson (whoever they deem is the 2nd guy) some run in the LIU and Drake games especially, but only after you've let your starter get into a rhythm and are ready to take him out for the rest of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              I completely agree with getting Connors or Nelson (whoever they deem is the 2nd guy) some run in the LIU and Drake games especially, but only after you've let your starter get into a rhythm and are ready to take him out for the rest of the game.
              Agreed. We are in the unfortunate position of needing to get our starter game into a groove with our easier non-conference games, while also desperately needing to get reps for our backups. The way I see it, we've got from 8/29 through Hobo Day vs SIU on 10/5 to get our QB situation figured out. We have a real good shot to be at 4-1 at that point if our D plays well and we can run the ball. We need to have it figured out by the time we head to Youngstown in mid October.

Comment

Not sure what worries me more, the 2 man rotation or the fact that they aren't completely set on Gibbs. Coming from Spring all we heard was he was the front runner. Or are Nelson and Conners improving that much? Maybe Gibbs isn't quite ready to be handed everything over yet. Do agree, running the ball effectively will solve a lot of issues and should buy us time. Anyone know how all of the QBs have done during summer practices? Should we be worried, or more so have patience?

Comment

I find it odd that there's talk of a 2 QB system before the players have even reported for fall camp. Coming out of the Spring, it was clearly Gibbs and Walding. Now that Walding is gone, it should be clearly Gibbs. So I'm not sure what has changed over the summer to have a rumor about it being a 2 QB system when Gibbs was repeatedly noted as being ahead of Nelson and Connors for the last 6 months. Nelson has game experience, but I just don't think he has the stuff to be our QB1. Maybe the staff feels like his maturity, understanding of the offense, and running ability will give us ability better chance to win more games. And that could be correct. He's been in our system for four years now. He obviously doesn't have the upside that Gibbs does, but he might be the most prepared to walk into TCF bank in August and start. Thats about the only reason I can see him getting consideration for the starting job at this point.

Comment

I find it odd that there's talk of a 2 QB system before the players have even reported for fall camp. Coming out of the Spring, it was clearly Gibbs and Walding. Now that Walding is gone, it should be clearly Gibbs. So I'm not sure what has changed over the summer to have a rumor about it being a 2 QB system when Gibbs was repeatedly noted as being ahead of Nelson and Connors for the last 6 months. Nelson has game experience, but I just don't think he has the stuff to be our QB1. Maybe the staff feels like his maturity, understanding of the offense, and running ability will give us ability better chance to win more games. And that could be correct. He's been in our system for four years now. He obviously doesn't have the upside that Gibbs does, but he might be the most prepared to walk into TCF bank in August and start. Thats about the only reason I can see him getting consideration for the starting job at this point.
                    Oh boy... if Nelson wins the job, I am going to severely lower my expectations for this season. He's definitely a serviceable backup QB, but imo that's his ceiling. We should probably take the 2 QB system comment with a grain of salt... Slosho could have just had too many margaritas on Taco Tuesday.

Comment

Agreed, that would be a bad sign all around. I HIGHLY doubt that is the case, but I've been surprised before. Who did we sign in our 2016 and 17 classes as a QB? Seems odd to me that we don't have anyone on the roster who is a redshirt sophomore or junior this year that would have been prepping for taking over after Taryn. Did we sign anyone in those classes at QB? Did we lose anyone in the last two seasons that would be in that position now?

Comment

Agreed, that would be a bad sign all around. I HIGHLY doubt that is the case, but I've been surprised before. Who did we sign in our 2016 and 17 classes as a QB? Seems odd to me that we don't have anyone on the roster who is a redshirt sophomore or junior this year that would have been prepping for taking over after Taryn. Did we sign anyone in those classes at QB? Did we lose anyone in the last two seasons that would be in that position now?
                        Cromer comes to mind.

Comment

I’m almost thinking the other way. maybe Conners the other RFsh is nipping at Gibbs heals? He had some nice balls with the 2nd string this spring game. Anyway you cut it I like that they are making whoever earn it and test them and see what they have inside early on.
                          Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                            I’m almost thinking the other way. maybe Conners the other RFsh is nipping at Gibbs heals? He had some nice balls with the 2nd string this spring game. Anyway you cut it I like that they are making whoever earn it and test them and see what they have inside early on.
                            All you have to do is subscribe to the Argus and you'll see what Zimmer says about the pecking order going into camp.

Comment

To be fair, it was a post on here with no source that brought up the 2 qb thing. Zim doesn't have any mention of it in his article.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X