Clear All

• GopherHole
    replied
    Re: Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Stop the run on 1st down.
    Run the ball with physicality.
    Don't have any momentum swinging turnovers
    Score early and make the Dukes chase points.
    Music to my long floppy ears! Talking about the merits of which game to attend is worthy of debate. However, I'm more concerned that we go 1-0 this week so that we can worry Sunday about hosting Wofford or traveling to Georgia.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    There's one big difference for me. Take away the novelty of the venue, and it's just another non-conference basketball game. While the football game is an elimination game that needs to be won if the dream of a trip to Frisco is going to be achieved. Plus what could be the last home game for a great senior class.
    But taking away the venue is what makes the event. That would be like saying "take away the playoff implications and it is just another out of conference football game against a lesser team." You cannot take away the one qualifier while leaving the other.

Look at how we "supported" last year's senior class that was another of the best we've seen...and there wasn't anything to distract people from being at that game. Most Jackrabbit football fans are literally fair-weather fans.

Leave a comment:

• WestSideRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Basketball is the only sport I played competitively. Watching the Jacks play basketball when I was in school in the 80's was unbelievable. Football games were a lot of fun, but it just didn't compare. Times have changed and for me the choice is obvious, playoff football!!!

Enough of the thread drift. So besides the Dukes not matching up with us on paper, what are the keys to advancing this weekend?
    Stop the run on 1st down.
    Run the ball with physicality.
    Don't have any momentum swinging turnovers
    Score early and make the Dukes chase points.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Basketball is the only sport I played competitively. Watching the Jacks play basketball when I was in school in the 80's was unbelievable. Football games were a lot of fun, but it just didn't compare. Times have changed and for me the choice is obvious, playoff football!!!

Enough of the thread drift. So besides the Dukes not matching up with us on paper, what are the keys to advancing this weekend?

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    We don’t draw with good weather in the playoffs. Gimme a foot or two as long as the wind isn’t ridiculous. This is gunna be awesome. I LOVE snow games.

Or it’s basically an OOC game that at best slightly helps with a seed if we win the Summit and doesn’t really affect the season much beyond that, played in a football stadium, vs a home playoff game that could likely be the last time to ever see the best quarterback SDSU has ever had play in person.

It is a very unique event. It’s against a good, familiar opponent. And it’s a basketball game. I’m fairly sure 75% of our fan base in general would pick a basketball game against Dakota State over a playoff football game (outside of our football season ticket holders and die hards) if the games were on the same day.

That said, with the cost and planning people have put into the basketball game, I can’t fault a soul for going to that. It just sucks to see our own athletic event kneecap our own, extremely important, home event. Also, I think our attendance would be trash without the basketball game anyways. It’s just going to be amplified.

To your last point, with our fan base, you are 1000000000% correct. We are, and always will be, a basketball school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would be one of the 25% that would go to a football game before a Dakota St basketball game

Leave a comment:

• Jackedforlife
    replied

I was hopeful we'd get a noon start...not that many would consider it but I'd love to watch FB then cruise up to Mpls...a noon start would make it difficult but not impossible. Here's hoping Kennesaw gets knocked off and we win, get at least one more opportunity to say goodbye to the Seniors.

Leave a comment:

• trueblue
    replied

I would LOVE to be at the fb game, snow or no snow. Unfortunately duties here Sat morning & the potential weather may not allow me to get there.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Can. Not. Wait. for the the feetsball game on Saturday.

Personally, and selfishly, I hope the forecasted 3-5" of snow holds, as there is pretty much nothing better than Jackrabbit football in the snow. It really limits the crowd, the but ones that do come, are several times louder in efforts to make up the difference.
    We don’t draw with good weather in the playoffs. Gimme a foot or two as long as the wind isn’t ridiculous. This is gunna be awesome. I LOVE snow games.

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    The problem is the MPLS game has much more going for it than the football game does:

1) Unique Event Location
    2) Recognizable Regional Opponent
    3) Better Competition (Looking at last year's result against the Dukes)
    4) Indoor venue at the end of November

At some point we just have to realize that a big basketball event will almost always trump a big football event.
    Or it’s basically an OOC game that at best slightly helps with a seed if we win the Summit and doesn’t really affect the season much beyond that, played in a football stadium, vs a home playoff game that could likely be the last time to ever see the best quarterback SDSU has ever had play in person.

It is a very unique event. It’s against a good, familiar opponent. And it’s a basketball game. I’m fairly sure 75% of our fan base in general would pick a basketball game against Dakota State over a playoff football game (outside of our football season ticket holders and die hards) if the games were on the same day.

That said, with the cost and planning people have put into the basketball game, I can’t fault a soul for going to that. It just sucks to see our own athletic event kneecap our own, extremely important, home event. Also, I think our attendance would be trash without the basketball game anyways. It’s just going to be amplified.

To your last point, with our fan base, you are 1000000000% correct. We are, and always will be, a basketball school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    The problem is the MPLS game has much more going for it than the football game does:

1) Unique Event Location

At some point we just have to realize that a big basketball event will almost always trump a big football event.
    There's one big difference for me. Take away the novelty of the venue, and it's just another non-conference basketball game. While the football game is an elimination game that needs to be won if the dream of a trip to Frisco is going to be achieved. Plus what could be the last home game for a great senior class.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by NCCDays View Post
    One of the biggest complaints about attending games is the price. What's the price of watching a game in Minneapolis? What's the price of watching Taryn, Jordan, and Tiano play in their last home game, PRICELESS! Rain, Sleet, or Snow. Be there to support and cheer on the Rabbits. They have brought the community a lot of great memories and press. Pay them back with our support!
    I've paid full price for the playoff tickets because I view it as one way to help Jacks recoup possible losses incurred during bid process. I realize that wasn't an issue past couple years, but I also like the seat location and don't have issue paying for a good seat in playoffs (not that I'd object to paying slightly less for same seat, were that an option).

The main reason I mention price is curiosity about the impact it would have on enticing casual fans and/or those with families. I've admitted I'm pretty much there regardless (at least partially for reasons you alluded to).

Can't wait for Saturday. Just hoping weather isn't so bad they shut down I-29.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by NCCDays View Post
    One of the biggest complaints about attending games is the price. What's the price of watching a game in Minneapolis? What's the price of watching Taryn, Jordan, and Tiano play in their last home game, PRICELESS! Rain, Sleet, or Snow. Be there to support and cheer on the Rabbits. They have brought the community a lot of great memories and press. Pay them back with our support!

1) Unique Event Location

Leave a comment:

• NCCDays
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied

Wish I could be in two places at once Saturday but have basketball tickets and live closer to Minneapolis. For those who will be in the area, the Alumni Assoc. is having a football watch party at Darby’s in downtown Minneapolis on Saturday before the basketball game.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
    I am going to the football game on Saturday, but would really like to go to the basketball game in US Bank Stadium. To see the Jacks play in a place like that is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I don't blame people for choosing that over the football game. I understand it's the postseason and could potentially be the last time we see such players as Taryn play in Brookings, but seeing the Jacks play on the same stage as this season's National Championship game is something that may never happen again.
    This. Exactly why I'm going.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Thanks for the update on the health of our Rabbits! That is good news.

I hate overlooking an opponent and I'm sure the staff hasn't either. In looking back at Duquesne's victory over Towson, the upset is not as surprising as I originally thought. The weather was not ideal for a passing game and Towson needs a good passing game to be successful. Towson's rushing defense was the worst in the CAA, giving up 178.6 yards per contest and the Dukes excel at running the football.

The Dukes run game can work in cold weather, with their biggest weakness is holding on to the ball. As stated in my first post, AJ Hines is legit despite his futility last year in Brookings. He's had three 1,000+ rushing seasons and still has his senior campaign in 2019. He originally committed to the Richmond Spiders as a 220 lb. back out of North Carolina, where he was first team all-state at a high school with 1,500 enrollment. He runs behind a line that features two repeat all-NEC linemen on the left side and a group of six that have collectively started over 135 games. While not mammoth in size, they've worked as a unit very well and everyone has experience. They are all about the same size at 6'4" 300 lbs., with the exception being a 6'5" 275 lbs. senior right guard.

I'm sure Jordan Brown will be matched up a fair amount against Nehari Crawford, their biggest receiving threat. If we keep them one dimensional in the run game and keep our front seven fresh, we all know we should make this an uneventful game. Add in the Snyder factor, shutting down Hines is a reasonable goal. Finally, if we get up quickly by three scores, I'm hoping we can change their game plan.

We've seen games where our D can shut down running games. We've also seen days where it hasn't. I'm hoping our biggest complaint come Sunday is that we didn't have more than 5,000 fans in the stands.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X