Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I seem to recall a blizzard in 2014 against WIU in which Austin Sumner threw for 300+. Im not sure that the snow will automatically mean our passing game will suffer.
    Agreed, the snow won't be much of a factor, but if the wind is strong enough and from the right direction where it is really windy on the field, that will obviously throw off the passing game. I am confident that our defense will stop their run game, and I am also confident that our run game will lead us to victory. Our O line will wear down their D line, and especially once they are nice and cold I expect more long runs from Strong.

The resurgence of our ground game makes us a very dangerous football team (especially in a controlled environment like the Fargo dome). The reason we're breaking off long runs is because defenses haven't been able to stack the box because they're worried about TC tearing them apart. If defenses try to stop the run too much, I am confident that TC, Johnson, Anderson, and co. will have huge games. The key will be red zone production, when we can't spread teams out, and it's easier to play both the run and the pass. That's why any long TD is a huge bonus, because you don't give the defense the advantage of a 12th defender (the back goal line). Imo, there's no doubt that we are the 2nd best team in the country right now, possibly 1st. Let's go out there and prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Agreed, the snow won't be much of a factor, but if the wind is strong enough and from the right direction where it is really windy on the field, that will obviously throw off the passing game. I am confident that our defense will stop their run game, and I am also confident that our run game will lead us to victory. Our O line will wear down their D line, and especially once they are nice and cold I expect more long runs from Strong.

The resurgence of our ground game makes us a very dangerous football team (especially in a controlled environment like the Fargo dome). The reason we're breaking off long runs is because defenses haven't been able to stack the box because they're worried about TC tearing them apart. If defenses try to stop the run too much, I am confident that TC, Johnson, Anderson, and co. will have huge games. The key will be red zone production, when we can't spread teams out, and it's easier to play both the run and the pass. That's why any long TD is a huge bonus, because you don't give the defense the advantage of a 12th defender (the back goal line). Imo, there's no doubt that we are the 2nd best team in the country right now, possibly 1st. Let's go out there and prove it.
      The wind will be a bigger advantage to them, but I like that we have been able to pound the ball over the past 5 weeks. We've also schemed against power running teams and have done well. Illinois State's running game reminds me most of the Dukes and we absolutely shut their attack down.

Comment

Tackling (or lack of) has been a BIG factor in Strong's emergence. -This is not a slight on Pierre, as he has shown himself to be difficult to grab in the open field.

But on nearly all of those long runs(not ALL, but mostly), there was a guy who had a chance to get him, and Pierre either juked em, ran through them, or got away from them.
        -Just saying that a team who tackles well (like the Bison, for example) is much less susceptible to those big plays just by being fundamental tacklers.

I do agree that the ground game is of huge importance for the team, and it's been great/fantastic to watch the past few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          ... fair-weather fans.
          I respectfully disagree with the characterization.* I think the fan base is still relatively "inexperienced" as a group and relatively new to having consistently excellent football. As a group, we're still learning.

Others have stated that some of the best games in terms of fan entertainment, are the cold playoff games we've had. I haven't missed any of them (I've missed one home game since we've moved up to Div 1). The fans who appear are the rabid ones and a little crazy--if you listen to crowd comments in between plays, you'll have a lot of great laughs while watching some great football.

*I have to laugh a little because such a characterization will end up on other message boards with comments like "Jacks fans are all upset about …."

Comment

I think the only thing that can derail us on Saturday would be if the staff has a bad gameplan. We probably have better athletes at almost every position, at at home, and will be rested. If the staff has the team ready to play and puts them in the best position to win, we will win.

And when we are up big...GET TC OUT OF THE GAME.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I respectfully disagree with the characterization.* I think the fan base is still relatively "inexperienced" as a group and relatively new to having consistently excellent football. As a group, we're still learning.

Others have stated that some of the best games in terms of fan entertainment, are the cold playoff games we've had. I haven't missed any of them (I've missed one home game since we've moved up to Div 1). The fans who appear are the rabid ones and a little crazy--if you listen to crowd comments in between plays, you'll have a lot of great laughs while watching some great football.

*I have to laugh a little because such a characterization will end up on other message boards with comments like "Jacks fans are all upset about …."
              The fan base is fair-weathered fans. As in they like the fair weather.

I love the cold weather games. Heck, I can remember games in the D2 days that the band made up almost half the attendance and we would end up sledding down the student section on the south end of the "home" side. I am doing all that I can to make it this weekend, but work and the possible travel issues with weather may challenge me a bit.

Comment

For anyone who's seen the show, Last Chance U, Kam Carter from Season 2 is now playing for Duquesne after transferring from Pitt. Very tough guy to root for.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Tackling (or lack of) has been a BIG factor in Strong's emergence. -This is not a slight on Pierre, as he has shown himself to be difficult to grab in the open field.

But on nearly all of those long runs(not ALL, but mostly), there was a guy who had a chance to get him, and Pierre either juked em, ran through them, or got away from them.
                  -Just saying that a team who tackles well (like the Bison, for example) is much less susceptible to those big plays just by being fundamental tacklers.

I do agree that the ground game is of huge importance for the team, and it's been great/fantastic to watch the past few weeks.
                  I agree, there has been some poor tackling, but it makes it really tough when you're on an island and the RB has a lot of room. The reason why there's been so much room is good O line play and defenses respecting TC's arm.

Comment

I agree, there has been some poor tackling, but it makes it really tough when you're on an island and the RB has a lot of room. The reason why there's been so much room is good O line play and defenses respecting TC's arm.
                    A talented running back can also make a lot of people look like "bad tacklers." Pierre has a dangerous combination of talent (speed/power/elusiveness) and very good vision.
                    Last edited by SoDakJack; 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A talented running back can also make a lot of people look like "bad tacklers." Pierre has a dangerous combination of talent (speed/power/elusiveness) and very good vision.
                      Very true. It seems like he is getting better with every game. From the start of the year to now, his progression is amazing. He looks so confident in his vision and cuts now.

Comment

I'll be at the football game screaming my head off. Cannot wait. This work week is taking forever.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

He doesn't seem incredibly fast and is definitely not one I'd call "shifty", but the cuts he makes are precise and seem to happen at full speed. The tacklers at the second level seem to have a split second to get the angle right or he's gone.

I'd love to be at the game Saturday but I have to work earlier in the day out west. My one playoff experience was last year as part of a very small crowd watching a blowout over NH - and it was one of the most fun games I've been to. Go Saturday if you can.

Comment

The only prediction that I am willing to make for Saturday is that there is a 45% chance I get naked and a 35% chance I don't.

Comment

Never missed a playoff game, but this will be the first due to investment in tickets at the Basketball game in Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                                The only prediction that I am willing to make for Saturday is that there is a 45% chance I get naked and a 35% chance I don't.
                                and the 20% chance is?

Comment

Working...
                                X