Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I think there was a bit of magical thinking (by just about everybody) that if you build a stadium that seats nearly 20,000, magically you'll get 15,000 a game automatically.

Seems to me the #1, #2 and #3 problems with attendance are promotions, advertising and marketing (in no particular order). Other issues (like cold weather, concession stands not open, etc.) affect it but aren't the major issues. The geography of the fan base is what it is, so unless you want to figure out how to grow Brookings to ~50,000, that is simply baked in (but see #1, #2, #3 previously). IMHO.
    I get what you're implying, but that number for the new stadium was specifically based on a study that SDSU used that showed that schools such as Montana State, Colorado State, Central Florida, and others saw a bump of somewhere around 40% increase in average attendance in the first five years of their new stadiums. The reason the athletic department used that 19,000 number was based on a survey of fans stating that they didnt attend games at CAS (and the resulting number that said they would attend a newer stadium with better amenities) and the number of other schools that saw large increases in 5 year* average attendance across the board once they built new stadiums. I believe Montana State opened their renovated stadium in 2010, and they have pretty much held their increase we d average over their pre rennovation days. Bozeman is larger than Brookings, but decidedly more isolated from other towns of similar size or larger. And to my recollection, as of 2019, the Bobcats have played in the exact same number of semi-final games as SDSU: 1984 and 2019.

The stadium was built at that size because the analytics and survey results seemed to indicate that expecting the Jack's average to jump up to 15k per game was very realistic. However, the analytics didn't seem to account for the extreme level of apathy regarding college athletics, and especially college football, in our state. Give away and promos help, but it won't fix the overall problem. No amount of free tickets is going to make people care about SDSU football.

* I can't remember all of the schools cited in that study, or if the average was for 3 or 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      I get what you're implying, but that number for the new stadium was specifically based on a study that SDSU used that showed that schools such as Montana State, Colorado State, Central Florida, and others saw a bump of somewhere around 40% increase in average attendance in the first five years of their new stadiums. The reason the athletic department used that 19,000 number was based on a survey of fans stating that they didnt attend games at CAS (and the resulting number that said they would attend a newer stadium with better amenities) and the number of other schools that saw large increases in 5 year* average attendance across the board once they built new stadiums. I believe Montana State opened their renovated stadium in 2010, and they have pretty much held their increase we d average over their pre rennovation days. Bozeman is larger than Brookings, but decidedly more isolated from other towns of similar size or larger. And to my recollection, as of 2019, the Bobcats have played in the exact same number of semi-final games as SDSU: 1984 and 2019.

The stadium was built at that size because the analytics and survey results seemed to indicate that expecting the Jack's average to jump up to 15k per game was very realistic. However, the analytics didn't seem to account for the extreme level of apathy regarding college athletics, and especially college football, in our state. Give away and promos help, but it won't fix the overall problem. No amount of free tickets is going to make people care about SDSU football.

* I can't remember all of the schools cited in that study, or if the average was for 3 or 5 years.
      I totally agree with you on the apathy part. IMO free tickets would do very little to increase attendance but it might prove a point and we might actually learn something. If you try something and it doesn't work it is still better than doing nothing at all. Look at what Grand Canyon has done with their basketball attendance. That is a party that just happens to have a basketball game going on at the same time.

Comment

One question I have... how much advertising has SDSU done to promote the home games?

Frankly, the casual fan is looking for entertainment. And a lot of times, that person is more likely to go to an event (concert, game, etc.) if it is promoted frequently and correctly. I remember something that Roy H. Williams once said, "If you have the best product in the world, and you don't tell anyone about it, all you have is the best product in the world."

I honestly think that attendance was much better when SDSU had its "Jackrabbit Insider" program on local television. It may have been "purchased time", but I think it was a good investment to promote SDSU football, basketball, etc. across the state. And more importantly, it got butts in the seats.

I may be rambling a bit, but I believe that in order to get people in the seats, you have to promote and advertise it. Simply assuming that people will show up simply because it's SDSU won't cut it anymore. Even with lower ticket prices, relaxed tailgating policies, and beer sales, you're still competing for the entertainment dollar.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I think you have to somehow make every home game an event. Game Day was the Dakota Marker game, but more importantly it was an event and there was a buzz and something special not to be missed. Enhance and relax the tailgating experience. Sell alchohol in the Stadium. Determine how you can conquer the Sioux Falls Metro market. Transportation to the game? Do a winter caravan like the Twins with coaches and players. How can you make the stadium cozier during late season games. Close in west side or heated seats? Create some advisory groups around different age groups and what would encourage them to attend. Just a few thoughts. I don't think its all about discounting or comping tickets.

Comment

• On the field, court and at the tap: Data: SDSU football games have dominated alcohol sales in the last year since policy OK'd
            Last edited by jbjack; 09-27-2023, 09:06 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• Link not working.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Link not working.
                Too much "Ears Up."

Speaking of that, if anyone's looking for the "National Championship" can design (pictured below), and you're being told by Fernson in SF that they're no longer being sold, cases of them are available at Brookings Liquor, and if you want the beer, I'm just planning to drain the cans I bought, so I can potentially fill folks flasks w/at least a half dozen cans' worth.

I'll just need to get a growler and coordinate meeting one of these games.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 211654.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Link not working.
                  should be fixed

Comment

Working...
                  X