X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Recruiting List

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Losing a QB is tough, but I'd have second thoughts coming here too if playing time is at the top of the list. Gibbs and Heide both have 3 years of eligibility left and there's the potential to redshirt Heide in the next year or two and could have the next four years locked up. You have to be confident in your abilities when signing with a team, but it would be a tactic that another coaching staff could promote that you could play for another team sooner than with the Jackrabbits.

Locking up QB recruits in the next class or two may be more important than this year's class. I can also see adding depth with D1 transfers in the next couple of years.
    Yes, you bring up a good point. Our program isn't overly attractive to incoming 2020 QBs right now. But then I remember the mass exodus that we had this year in the QB room and suddenly Heidi goes from #5 to #2 and starting half the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Yes, you bring up a good point. Our program isn't overly attractive to incoming 2020 QBs right now. But then I remember the mass exodus that we had this year in the QB room and suddenly Heidi goes from #5 to #2 and starting half the season.
      Somehow the coaches need to figure out a way to build quality depth in that room. It's not easy in the transfer era but it has to happen. The lack of depth derailed a promising start to the season.

In the past, it seemed like Stig has been reluctant to pull the starter even in blowouts (New Hampshire anyone?). Maybe giving the backup some series here and there helps retain QB's. Maybe you utilize a QB kinda like the Saints use Taysom Hill.

Comment

Gronowski is in!!!
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          Gronowski is in!!!
          Good news. I still think this is a fairly attractive place to come and play quarterback

Comment

Gronowski is in!!!
            That's great. Only one commit defector. That's not bad. The class looks really good, but who knows. Any word on the DB transfer from Neb.?

PS - Thanks for your great reporting on recruiting, WestSide.
            Last edited by Jacked_Up; 12-18-2019, 08:10 PM.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Gronowski is in!!!
              Great way to end the day. I'm guessing he might have received a few texts this morning and early afternoon from the other members of the class.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                That's great. Only commit defector. That's not bad. The class looks really good, but who knows. Any word on the DB transfer from Neb.?

DB transfer from Nebraska is expected to sign per Zimmer:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...35901233176576

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  That's great. Only commit defector. That's not bad. The class looks really good, but who knows. Any word on the DB transfer from Neb.?

I've been waiting and watching for news on Isaiah. Even checked with one his high school buddies to get a feel for which way he's leaning. This late bloomer made some big plays for Husker's special teams. He also works really hard. Take a look at his squat he has posted on twitter. As Matt Masker shared on his account, that is 705 lbs. being squatted by a 190 lb. man. His best is still ahead of him.

Comment

I've been waiting and watching for news on Isaiah. Even checked with one his high school buddies to get a feel for which way he's leaning. This late bloomer made some big plays for Husker's special teams. He also works really hard. Take a look at his squat he has posted on twitter. As Matt Masker shared on his account, that is 705 lbs. being squatted by a 190 lb. man. His best is still ahead of him.
                    If he got some playing time on special teams this year why is he leaving? Has he made his intentions clear to the public/media?

Comment

If he got some playing time on special teams this year why is he leaving? Has he made his intentions clear to the public/media?
                      According to the Jackrabbit football twitter account, he is now a Jack. I believe he walked on at Nebraska - I would guess he would get scholasrship money here.

Comment

I think it comes down to scholarship. He did make the two deep this year as a redshirt freshman which is pretty impressive....but the safeties who started were a sophomore and junior. He also had a true freshman 4 star who got hurt early that was ahead of him. Then there were two other true freshman who the Huskers were trying to preserve their redshirt that will get a much harder look next year. Today they signed 2 more 4 star safeties and a three star....in a nutshell it was a long road ahead.

The way I see it, when you are a 4 star they recruit to build depth around you. When you are a walk on they recruit to replace you. Very good player, but a scholarship wasn't coming anytime soon and Lincoln is pricey.

Comment

Here are a few names to keep an eye on for February. The first two OT recruits have recently been offered. I'd like to land 2 of these three.

OT- Colby Christianson, 6’8, 240, West Des Moines. https://www.hudl.com/athlete/8023665...02961198c488a8
                          https://twitter.com/colbyc89/status/...856707584?s=21
                          Offers from: UMASS, Indiana State

OT- Noah Stewart, 6’7, 245, North Muskegon, MI
                          https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6609932...ecd10df4927a57
                          https://twitter.com/noahstew71/statu...934856193?s=21
                          Offers from: Illinois State

OT- Albert Reese IV, 6'7, 295, Edmonton, Alberta
                          https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9323459...f6550de008b567
                          Jacks haven't offered yet but he has received offers from: UMASS, Illinois State, and Grambling

RB- Kenyetta Williams, 6’0 190, Joliet, IL
                          I don’t think we’ve officially offered but coaches did take an in-home visit last week and he’s taking an OV in January. I’d expect an offer to come then.
                          https://twitter.com/ken_williams21/s...412519424?s=21
                          Other offers: Cincinnati, FAU, EMU, Ball State, WIU, Ind St, Valparaiso

Here is a long shot...
                          WR- Luke Grimm had his scholarship pulled/reduced by Kansas and didn’t sign yesterday. The Jacks were on him hard this spring. He’d be a great addition to the class at wide receiver.
                          https://twitter.com/lukegrimm25/stat...808168449?s=20

I hope we add a TE but I'm not sure what is out there. I think a PWO if nothing else.
                          Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 12-19-2019, 08:26 AM. Reason: Update info.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

TreShawn Watson to Illinois St
                            Micah Harper to BYU

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                              I think it comes down to scholarship. He did make the two deep this year as a redshirt freshman which is pretty impressive....but the safeties who started were a sophomore and junior. He also had a true freshman 4 star who got hurt early that was ahead of him. Then there were two other true freshman who the Huskers were trying to preserve their redshirt that will get a much harder look next year. Today they signed 2 more 4 star safeties and a three star....in a nutshell it was a long road ahead.

The way I see it, when you are a 4 star they recruit to build depth around you. When you are a walk on they recruit to replace you. Very good player, but a scholarship wasn't coming anytime soon and Lincoln is pricey.
                              Spot on NebraskaJack. Isaiah is a player that I'm excited about. This young man's ceiling keeps moving upwards. In high school he was expected to be a key part of a very good Class A program in Nebraska. He was not the star, but knew his role and exceeded it. To give perspective, Isaiah was a special teams and depth player until his senior year. Coach Cool at Kearney High plays underclassmen and even relies on sophomores to be key players if they have the talent. Isaiah was not one of these type of players. Noah Urbanek and Mikko Maessner (who signed with Princeton), were the type of players who excelled in key roles as sophomores for Kearney High.

When Isaiah seized his starting position in high school, he kept making plays. Many still took notice of Mikko in the defensive backfield because of some of the plays he made with his exceptional speed, but Isaiah was still the one that was filling up the stat sheet. I overlooked him and didn't share information with Dan and Stig about Isaiah. I was focused on getting the word out on other players who the staff recruited. When Kearney High narrowly missed beating Omaha North for the championship, Isaiah made lots of plays on defense.

Isaiah is a talent who's ceiling keeps moving upwards. He far exceeded what people expected of him with the Huskers in only two years as a walk-on. He will outwork his peers as evident by his 705 lb. squat that I posted yesterday. He comes from a good family and was known for his strong character.

He built up some confidence with his performance with the Huskers this year. Playing primarily special teams, he had 13 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble, and 1 blocked kick. He's going to look awfully good in blue this next year!

Comment

Spot on NebraskaJack. Isaiah is a player that I'm excited about. This young man's ceiling keeps moving upwards. In high school he was expected to be a key part of a very good Class A program in Nebraska. He was not the star, but knew his role and exceeded it. To give perspective, Isaiah was a special teams and depth player until his senior year. Coach Cool at Kearney High plays underclassmen and even relies on sophomores to be key players if they have the talent. Isaiah was not one of these type of players. Noah Urbanek and Mikko Maessner (who signed with Princeton), were the type of players who excelled in key roles as sophomores for Kearney High.

When Isaiah seized his starting position in high school, he kept making plays. Many still took notice of Mikko in the defensive backfield because of some of the plays he made with his exceptional speed, but Isaiah was still the one that was filling up the stat sheet. I overlooked him and didn't share information with Dan and Stig about Isaiah. I was focused on getting the word out on other players who the staff recruited. When Kearney High narrowly missed beating Omaha North for the championship, Isaiah made lots of plays on defense.

Isaiah is a talent who's ceiling keeps moving upwards. He far exceeded what people expected of him with the Huskers in only two years as a walk-on. He will outwork his peers as evident by his 705 lb. squat that I posted yesterday. He comes from a good family and was known for his strong character.

He built up some confidence with his performance with the Huskers this year. Playing primarily special teams, he had 13 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble, and 1 blocked kick. He's going to look awfully good in blue this next year!
                                I know the rules have been gone over to death, but will he be eligible immediately? Also, will he enroll in January and participate in Spring ball?

Comment

Working...
                                X