X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goon
    replied
    Re: Seed Scenarios

Until it happens we pass ndsu or the whole playoffs is seeded I don't see anyway we can avoid going to Fargo almost every year. Just the nature of the beast. The only other close schools would be BSc or other valley teams.

Leave a comment:

• He hate me
    replied

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    1) Not surprising. It sounded too good to be true, and I guess it was. I don't think SDSU will be any lower than 6 if they win on Saturday. That being the case, a 6/3 match up with the bison is real likely at this point.

2) Craig Haley is a moron, and this isn't surprising that he was wrong.
    I agree. If both teams win Saturday, I'd be shocked if we didn't see a 3/6 matchup.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

1) Not surprising. It sounded too good to be true, and I guess it was. I don't think SDSU will be any lower than 6 if they win on Saturday. That being the case, a 6/3 match up with the bison is real likely at this point.

2) Craig Haley is a moron, and this isn't surprising that he was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• He hate me
    replied

Originally posted by He hate me View Post
    Bumping this as there is still a lot of discussion about us being placed on the bison side if the bracket. According to this, it can't happen. Would obviously be a new rule this year. Thoughts?
    This myth from Craig Haley was busted today.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/stat...365193729?s=17

Who's ready for another trip to Fargo?

Leave a comment:

• Jackedforlife
    replied

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    I would rather play a new team rather than it seeming like another round of conference games.
    In a perfect world both JMU and NDSU would lose early and we'd play Sam Houston in Frisco, ...I think with our strength of schedule we have a shot to jump UCA, a small shot at that. The other factor between a trip to Fargo and Harrisonburg is weather. Although we're an outdoor team one could argue this offense is built for the indoor game. weather in Harrisonburg could be unpredictable at best in December. Easily could see weather similar to Hobo Day. I think we'd do well in snow but I'd rather stay away from the rain...Harrisonburg might not be as loud as Fargo but it won't be much different with 25K+ cheering them on. No matter how you put it together it's a difficult road to Frisco...

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied

I would rather play a new team rather than it seeming like another round of conference games.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    If the bison win out it'd be a crime if they weren't the 2 seed...if we take care of business in Vermtown similarly to what the Bison did I see us as a strong 4/5...one could argue if we were the 5 we may want to be the 6...same number of home games although it'd mean going through Fargo...it'd be a shorter road trip than say Harrisonburg. Ideally if we handle the Yotes we get the 4 and have 2 home games before a Harrisonburg roadtrip great. But in the 5 we could a road game to Conway/Jacksonville/Huntsville before Harrisonburg. Harrisonburg will be as hostile as the Fargodome no matter when we would play them...I guess part of me would think a shorter roadtrip would be better for the team. Plus, I think this team is better equipped to play the Bison in the playoffs this year. Of course it's all a moot point if we don't take care of business this weekend. Win big and grab the highest seed possible...
    I think the most likely seed for us is a 5. I can see us jumping Sam Houston, but I don't think we'll jump JSU or UCA with their only loss being to an FBS program. I do agree that NDSU should jump both of them and get the 2 seed. Then it basically comes down to whether you think NDSU or JMU is tougher matchup. I know JMU beat NDSU in Fargo last year, but I just think that the "easier route" would be through JMU. JMU only beat Richmond by 7 at home just last week. Just looking at likely spreads for the game based on Sagarin, NDSU would be favored by 7 and JMU would be favored by 4. NDSU would have the revenge factor in play. JMU would be unfamiliar with us. We might be splitting hairs in term of which matchup would be more difficult, but if you ask me which one I prefer, it's JMU.

Leave a comment:

• TransAmBison
    replied

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    If the bison win out it'd be a crime if they weren't the 2 seed...if we take care of business in Vermtown similarly to what the Bison did I see us as a strong 4/5...one could argue if we were the 5 we may want to be the 6...same number of home games although it'd mean going through Fargo...it'd be a shorter road trip than say Harrisonburg. Ideally if we handle the Yotes we get the 4 and have 2 home games before a Harrisonburg roadtrip great. But in the 5 we could a road game to Conway/Jacksonville/Huntsville before Harrisonburg. Harrisonburg will be as hostile as the Fargodome no matter when we would play them...I guess part of me would think a shorter roadtrip would be better for the team. Plus, I think this team is better equipped to play the Bison in the playoffs this year. Of course it's all a moot point if we don't take care of business this weekend. Win big and grab the highest seed possible...
    I have to say this is a tough one for me to be objective on. The long trip definitely is a negative for going to Harrisonburg...but I would think your offense would have a better chance against a team that has never faced SDSU before. But, our last meeting showed us to be pretty ineffective against your offense. But we have typically had a better showing the second time around against SDSU. Anyway you cut it, the semifinal games should be tough for everybody. I would think noise would be more of a factor in the Fargodome...but your team is pretty used to it so I doubt it would make much of an impact. As much as it pains me to say it, I would guess going through the Fargodome would be the easier of the two options. I still just hope SDSU and UNI (if they make it) are on the other side of the bracket.

Leave a comment:

• Jackedforlife
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I don't want to get too optomistic, but from a lot of projections, I've seen NDSU at 2 or 3 and SDSU at 4 or 5. This would be great, and I think that it's possible if we take care of business in Vermtown. Especially if this mystery ruling where they won't place seeds from the same conference on the same side of the bracket is true. Obviously we need to win this weekend for this to matter.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

After reading that, maybe don't put too much stock into it. That "official NCAA ruling" is full of typos, including where they state that 10 automatic qualifiers receive bids, followed by the next 10 best at larges. 10+10 = 20 teams. The playoffs haven't had 20 teams since 2012....

Well done, NCAA. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I think they can be on same side of bracket. They just can't play through first two rounds (unless they are from same conference but never played in regular season, which seems moot for all MVFC teams who could reasonably reach playoffs, as I believe they've all played each other).
    Reading that makes it sound like they are going geographical seeding like usual. Which means if ndsu and sdsu win we both are seeded and we go there after our one game. If they win and we lose, if we didn't make a good bid to host a first round game we will play on the road then go to Fargo for a 2nd round game. Pretty sure ncaa isn't worried about a balanced playoffs. It's worried about making money or spending as little as it needs too.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

I think they can be on same side of bracket. They just can't play through first two rounds (unless they are from same conference but never played in regular season, which seems moot for all MVFC teams who could reasonably reach playoffs, as I believe they've all played each other).
    That was the rule, but I think this is indicating that they cannot have two teams seeded on the same side. It would be a new rule this year if that's the case.

I'm also still skeptical since this is the first we're hearing about it. This rule, along with the no conference rematch until the second round and the "MVFC" all teams on one side of the bracket rule, pretty much makes it so that flights are going to be happening all overy the place in the first three rounds. Did the NCAA really come to their senses and do that this year? That's such a huge rule change, that I would be shocked that no one heard about it until this week. The "MVFC" rule was a national story in the FCS for a fee weeks when it came out after the 2015 season, and it had less impact than this supposed new rule.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I don't want to get too optomistic, but from a lot of projections, I've seen NDSU at 2 or 3 and SDSU at 4 or 5. This would be great, and I think that it's possible if we take care of business in Vermtown. Especially if this mystery ruling where they won't place seeds from the same conference on the same side of the bracket is true. Obviously we need to win this weekend for this to matter.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    This would happen. 100% unless somehow our fans mysteriously got a fire under their ass, but I doubt it. The tickets would be gone before a lot of our fans realized they were on sale honestly.

Please no. I’d like to make it. And I’m loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case, an even freakier weather pattern in which Thumper's vehicle is surrounded by a 200 foot radius of balmy weather that allows him to travel but no Bison fans to enter SD.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    The bison coming to Brookings again would be awesome, however, do we have a plan in place to keep tickets out of the hands of bison fans? Or it could be embarrassing considering our history of playoff attendance.
    This would happen. 100% unless somehow our fans mysteriously got a fire under their ass, but I doubt it. The tickets would be gone before a lot of our fans realized they were on sale honestly.
    I'd be all for a freak blizzard swooping down from Canada that causes them to close interstate north of Summit.
    Please no. I’d like to make it. And I’m loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X