Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: North Dakota State University

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    In all fairness that number does drop to 218 yards per contest in conference play. The last two weeks they haven't topped 200. For perspective, in conference play SDSU has rushed for 188 yards per game. We actually out rushed them against Missouri State and Western Illinois. NDSU went for greater yardage against UNI and YSU (obviously). The only uncommon conference opponent we have is SDSU played MSU (368 yards) and they played ISU (246 yards). Not exactly defensive juggernauts between the two.

Not sure what it proves. I just like stats.
    I think a lot of this comes down to if SDSU gets down by 10+, they throw the ball.
    They ran 23 times against UNI (2.3 Y/C) and 16 times against YSU (4.1 Y/C). You don't put up a lot of yards on that many carries.
    SDSU had 43 carries against MSU (6.1 Y/C), 39 carries against WIU (4.9 Y/C) and 55 carries against SIU (6.7 Y/C).
    I know that SDSU has passing weapons so I'm not saying that they should run the ball all of the time but I am saying that when you have 16 carries in a game, you don't run for 200 yards very often.
    P.S. I don't think you want to run right up the gut against NDSU all day (I'm sure I'll get a few no-duh's on that). In other words, the defense we are playing against makes a difference in game plans.

Comment

Do we have an over/under on the amount of times we try to run that inside shovel pass to Dallas? I'm setting it at 2.5
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 13>1 View Post
        ...And this next statement isn't meant as trolling or to ruffle any feathers, but NDSU always has a huge target on their backs every time they take the field against anyone and teams get up for them probably more than anyone on their schedule....
        I think most observers of the Bison would agree about the "target on back" and teams getting up for the Bison vs. any other team on the schedule -- unfortunately for the opponents, that statement is a basic fact. The Bison show up for every game "here's what we do and it's done consistently well." Over the last 10 years, how many FCS programs have consistently played at such a level? (How many FBS programs have consistently played at such a level?) But, I'm counting on the fact that the Bison are human and are capable of making mistakes. I'm also realistic enough to know that the Bison seem to be the least-likely program to make mistakes. So, what will the Jacks, coaches and players do Saturday to facilitate Bison mistakes and to perhaps come up with a surprise or two? I think the game has great potential to be a very entertaining slug-fest (see NDSU v. SDSU, 2007) but to get it to that status, the burden is on the Jacks. I think we can do it and I'm predicting we do (predictions aren't worth much, are they) but I certainly understand why the odds-makers pick the Bison and until there is consistent proof of the contrary, 13>1's statement is on solid ground.

My guess for the game: Marker stays in Brookings, SDSU 30, NDSU 24.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Do we have an over/under on the amount of times we try to run that inside shovel pass to Dallas? I'm setting it at 2.5
          Think they run it twice, both in 2nd half, and they go for 15 and 10yds, respectively. What do you think the chances are of a Mengarelli to Goedert to Johnson double reverse?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Think they run it twice, both in 2nd half, and they go for 15 and 10yds, respectively. What do you think the chances are of a Mengarelli to Goedert to Johnson double reverse?
            Better chance they stuff that play for a 12 yd loss, they are too disciplined to bite on that...the Amazing Hidden Mengarelli worked because it all happened so fast...quick run up to the line...quick snap as the line was in a 2 point stance...with really only Mengarelli moving. Even then not everyone was fooled.

I'm curious to see if we try to establish any type of run right away with "thunder and lightening" or if we are hoping the passing game will open up delayed draws. In this game I personally hope we try to utilize the run to open up the pass.

Defensively speaking is where I hope we find a few new wrinkles to surprise them with...not sure what they'd be though.

Decent weather albeit a little on the gray side in the forecast. The optimist in me say Jacks win 35-17, I know very optimistic...the pessimist is even more pessimistic, I really hope we don't see that score.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              Better chance they stuff that play for a 12 yd loss, they are too disciplined to bite on that...the Amazing Hidden Mengarelli worked because it all happened so fast...quick run up to the line...quick snap as the line was in a 2 point stance...with really only Mengarelli moving. Even then not everyone was fooled.

I'm curious to see if we try to establish any type of run right away with "thunder and lightening" or if we are hoping the passing game will open up delayed draws. In this game I personally hope we try to utilize the run to open up the pass.

Defensively speaking is where I hope we find a few new wrinkles to surprise them with...not sure what they'd be though.

Decent weather albeit a little on the gray side in the forecast. The optimist in me say Jacks win 35-17, I know very optimistic...the pessimist is even more pessimistic, I really hope we don't see that score.
              Something I've noticed as a Bison fan is that every opposing team comes up with something on that side of the ball to throw us off. It certainly worked for a while against UNI as our offense looked like it was in a bit of a funk early on. Easton was missing on some throws and UNI's front 4 were up to the task to stop the run. Also, the 2 blocked FG's didn't help either from a momentum stand point. Much discussion on Bisonville about the 3rd quarter and how dominant the Bison have been during it. Those half time adjustments have favored the Bison up to this point. Having said that, if something is working during the first half against NDSU, be prepared to counter the adjustments made...on both sides of the ball.

Also, I'm always curious to see when those strange plays come along....the trick plays, the long punt return for a TD, tipped balls for picks, etc. It never fails when these two teams get together, something always seems to happen that makes me say, "WOW".

By the way, my seats are located in section 203. When I looked online it said it was some kind of special seating area...not sure what means?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                We were debating at work if a short pass game would be more effective against the Bison. I assume they will be trying to get pressue to disrupt our pass game.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Something I've noticed as a Bison fan is that every opposing team comes up with something on that side of the ball to throw us off. It certainly worked for a while against UNI as our offense looked like it was in a bit of a funk early on. Easton was missing on some throws and UNI's front 4 were up to the task to stop the run. Also, the 2 blocked FG's didn't help either from a momentum stand point. Much discussion on Bisonville about the 3rd quarter and how dominant the Bison have been during it. Those half time adjustments have favored the Bison up to this point. Having said that, if something is working during the first half against NDSU, be prepared to counter the adjustments made...on both sides of the ball.

Also, I'm always curious to see when those strange plays come along....the trick plays, the long punt return for a TD, tipped balls for picks, etc. It never fails when these two teams get together, something always seems to happen that makes me say, "WOW".

By the way, my seats are located in section 203. When I looked online it said it was some kind of special seating area...not sure what means?
                  i believe 203 would be considered in the club seating but I thought they reassign the club to 300# sections. Is there a club 71 banner on your ticket?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    We were debating at work if a short pass game would be more effective against the Bison. I assume they will be trying to get pressue to disrupt our pass game.
                    There's no denying that a quick pass game is effective against almost any team as it provides little to no time for a defense to pressure the QB. I'm sure both fan bases would agree, or any football fan in general, that it boils down to line play. If NDSU, or any D line, can get pressure on the QB (Taryn) with only their front 4, it favors the defense. Sounds like Taryn had himself a game against WIU. I only saw a little bit of the beginning of the game as the Bison started at 2:30 last Saturday. Was he forced to run at all, or was he sitting back and throwing at will? His mobility scares the crap out of me, I still have flashbacks to the first game in Fargo last year.

Another thing I was thinking about, the 3 headed monster you guys have will most certainly do their thing. NDSU just needs to limit the damage they can create. I think what will need to happen for the Jacks is you'll need Managrelli to have a big game, or some other role players to step up in a big way. Any thoughts on who those guys might be?

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                      i believe 203 would be considered in the club seating but I thought they reassign the club to 300# sections. Is there a club 71 banner on your ticket?
                      Ha, I feel like an idiot. Just rechecked the ticket, section 208 on the end, never mind. Thanks for the response! Anyone from here in row 33?

Comment

Regarding your seats I am guessing you have club level seats but the section was changed to 300 level numbers this year. I am not sure why it is indicated as 203 on your tickets. For club level seating you have access to the 71 Club room and have chair back seating.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBBFan View Post
                          Regarding your seats I am guessing you have club level seats but the section was changed to 300 level numbers this year. I am not sure why it is indicated as 203 on your tickets. For club level seating you have access to the 71 Club room and have chair back seating.
                          Thanks for the response, I was wrong on the section. Guess I'm in 208.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I was wrong on the section. Guess I'm in 208.
                            Hate to use a cliché but there really aren't any bad seats in the stadium. I moved around during one game to check out the view from all corners including 208. When the action is in the south endzone, its hard to find viewing angles better than section 208. And since the stadium isn't THAT large, the distance from 208 to the north endzone is still quite watchable. The only downside may be viewing the big screen isn't quite as convenient from the southern-most seats in 208.

For anyone looking for a seating chart, go here: http://www.gojacks.com/sports/2016/6...c-seating.aspx

Comment

There's no denying that a quick pass game is effective against almost any team as it provides little to no time for a defense to pressure the QB. I'm sure both fan bases would agree, or any football fan in general, that it boils down to line play. If NDSU, or any D line, can get pressure on the QB (Taryn) with only their front 4, it favors the defense. Sounds like Taryn had himself a game against WIU. I only saw a little bit of the beginning of the game as the Bison started at 2:30 last Saturday. Was he forced to run at all, or was he sitting back and throwing at will? His mobility scares the crap out of me, I still have flashbacks to the first game in Fargo last year.

Another thing I was thinking about, the 3 headed monster you guys have will most certainly do their thing. NDSU just needs to limit the damage they can create. I think what will need to happen for the Jacks is you'll need Managrelli to have a big game, or some other role players to step up in a big way. Any thoughts on who those guys might be?
                              Marquise Lewis (11) and Cade Johnson (15) can also make plays at the WR position. Cade has done well on some jet sweeps and can break off big returns as well, he's pretty fast. Mikey Daniels (26) has developed into a nice bigger back that has proven to be able to get tough yards when we need them.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Hate to use a cliché but there really aren't any bad seats in the stadium. I moved around during one game to check out the view from all corners including 208. When the action is in the south endzone, its hard to find viewing angles better than section 208. And since the stadium isn't THAT large, the distance from 208 to the north endzone is still quite watchable. The only downside may be viewing the big screen isn't quite as convenient from the southern-most seats in 208.

For anyone looking for a seating chart, go here: http://www.gojacks.com/sports/2016/6...c-seating.aspx
                                Thanks for the info. I sit in the north end zone of the Fargo Dome and really like the perspective. But when the action is down to the south it's a little tough to see. I have to pay close attention to the side judges to see the yardage gained or lost, and then sometimes have to wait for the student sections reaction to touchdowns. Nice thing now is that they have a big screen on the back side of the screen directly overhead. I find myself cheating sometimes and watching the play from the other end on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X