Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Duquesne Dukes

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    So Hines got the Rice award over Rozeboom last year. Interesting.
    I knew that was suspect being the competition he faced. Confirmed.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      Oh, and crowd was over 12K tonight. Jacks' Twitter tweeted that there were 4,251 students tonight and they definitely made a difference.
      Thursday or saturday I think it really bites we're only at about 8k "diehard" non student fans.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        I knew that was suspect being the competition he faced. Confirmed.
        Early in the game I would've like to see our defense stay on the field longer to give our O a chance to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          8 redshirts pulled in the first game? Geez, that seems really, really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          High? Yes...but those 8 are getting them pulled because of talent. Crazy talented, Urbanek, Wilson and Callender great night and Cavanaugh is a bona dude stud. The lineman all played very well. These are not your normal true freshman, this is talent and athleticism.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
            Nice win, overall.

Holding Hines to 34 yards on 13 carries was huge. DUQ was done in the first quarter.

The O-line did pretty well, too. No sacks on TC. Stings to see Weir take a hit like that, though.

Now on to watch Montana State play Wazzu on Saturday. Next Saturday will be a good test.

Oh, and crowd was over 12K tonight. Jacks' Twitter tweeted that there were 4,251 students tonight and they definitely made a difference.

Another nice stat is the Jacks held the Dukes to 2-11 on third downs.
            How about the R&B duo of Rozeboom & Backhaus? Pretty fun to watch.

Comment

The first 20 minutes were a textbook definition of a big-play offense. Early in the second quarter, the Jacks had 240 yards of total offense with only 5 first downs.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                So Hines got the Rice award over Rozeboom last year. Interesting.
                Though I do agree that Rozeboom should have won the Rice Award, I'll defend Hines some.

Running back is all about opportunity and what the ball carrier does with it. I didn't see much opportunity for Hines tonight. He's a down hill runner that wasn't afforded the space to get up to speed. Credit to the Jacks defense.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Jake looked like a man playing against boys - it was not even fair. If TC was not so rusty he would have had 200 yards.

It was obvious our passing game was in a different league than the Duquesne defense, but I really liked how we came out and showed what the running game could do at the start of the second half. Both the O and D lines seemed to have a good game.

Other than the whole Thursday night (non-student) crowd issue, that was an ideal way to open the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    Though I do agree that Rozeboom should have won the Rice Award, I'll defend Hines some.

Running back is all about opportunity and what the ball carrier does with it. I didn't see much opportunity for Hines tonight. He's a down hill runner that wasn't afforded the space to get up to speed. Credit to the Jacks defense.
                    All very true. I thought Hines looked slow, though. He has a nice lateral hop move, but runs upright and goes down pretty easily. Good work by the Jacks' front 7 to make sure he was a non-factor.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Are the Jacks that good or were the Dukes that bad? I suppose that is why we play the games. Thanks

Comment

The good and the bad... we won by a lot and I thought we really didn't look that great on Offense. Scary what we could be when it appears to all "click." First drive of the game, we are at a 3 & 10 I believe and then get about a 55 yard pass that leads to a TD a few plays later. Second drive of the game, we are at about a 3 & 15 on the 3 yard line and get a 90 yard scramble that leads to a TD a few plays later. If we want to beat the top teams, we can't rely on big plays (that are a bit of luck... then again you can't have luck without talent) to bail us out of 3rd and longs. If we don't have those 2 big plays early, who knows how the rest of the game unfolds? Overall though, that was about as good as we could all hope for for the first game of the year. There's a lot to improve on, but I think we have the players and coaches to keep improving on it and peak at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Are the Jacks that good or were the Dukes that bad? I suppose that is why we play the games. Thanks
                          The Dukes are a good team, they just ran in to a buzzsaw. They gave up too much size and athleticism. Plus Jake is putting on tape(again) why he will be a successful possession receiver on the next level. Our team athleticism really stuck out and with the exception of the DBs not turning their heads to play the ball overall we looked good. Taryn had his issues but still played well. Although he's going to watch the tape and be motivated. The 2nd half he started stepping in to his throws, big time difference. I still do not get why he spins the ball in his hands when he receives the snap. Almost looks like nervous energy.

The D played really well, swarming mentality and fast. Kellen proved a couple times why he is one of the best DTs out there. His sack was pure bulrush, the guy did not stand a chance. And those Freshman(True and RS really played well). Build on it and take it into next week. Get healthy and grind. Hopefully the Weirwolf just has a sprain or something mild, something that rest and rehab can fix up in a few weeks. I'm confident our young guys can fill in.

....and, LOUSCHER with his first collegiate TD!
                          Last edited by Jackedforlife; 09-01-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                            The good and the bad... we won by a lot and I thought we really didn't look that great on Offense. Scary what we could be when it appears to all "click." First drive of the game, we are at a 3 & 10 I believe and then get about a 55 yard pass that leads to a TD a few plays later. Second drive of the game, we are at about a 3 & 15 on the 3 yard line and get a 90 yard scramble that leads to a TD a few plays later. If we want to beat the top teams, we can't rely on big plays (that are a bit of luck... then again you can't have luck without talent) to bail us out of 3rd and longs. If we don't have those 2 big plays early, who knows how the rest of the game unfolds? Overall though, that was about as good as we could all hope for for the first game of the year. There's a lot to improve on, but I think we have the players and coaches to keep improving on it and peak at the right time.
                            That D was set up nicely for that 90 yd scramble though, they were all out covering guys and no one was spying TC. Right before the play you could see the center of the field wide open. I thought if there was a slow drag or even a center screen it be a success. No patterns that way and it was like Moses and the Red Sea for TC. I was disappointed that it seemed Lewis gave up on his blocking or else TC would've scored, i'll have to rewatch the replay though.\

...and make no mistake they were setting the D up to open the middle of the field, so many deep outs.
                            Last edited by Jackedforlife; 09-01-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              That D was set up nicely for that 90 yd scramble though, they were all out covering guys and no one was spying TC. Right before the play you could see the center of the field wide open. I thought if there was a slow drag or even a center screen it be a success. No patterns that way and it was like Moses and the Red Sea for TC. I was disappointed that it seemed Lewis gave up on his blocking or else TC would've scored, I'll have to rewatch the replay though.
                              Nah, the bear jumped on TC's back, that's why he didn't score. I agree with you that the play wasn't luck, it was a result of our receiver talent running everybody off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                                High? Yes...but those 8 are getting them pulled because of talent. Crazy talented, Urbanek, Wilson and Callender great night and Cavanaugh is a bona dude stud. The lineman all played very well. These are not your normal true freshman, this is talent and athleticism.
                                I know it's was only one game, but Callender and Cavanaugh look like they could be athletic freaks. I can't wait to see what happens to them after a year of playing in the Valley and a full year in a college weight room.

Comment

Working...
                                X