Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nova - Guess the attendance

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
    Those are both false assumptions. If you are on a budget, you don't/can't adjust just because it is close. If someone only has 30$, they can't make 10$ appear out of no where.

A season ticket holder might have gotten the package based on the fact that it would exclude them from any playoff games. Many families compromise on entertainment, especially with not everyone in the family enjoys sports/movies/concerts.

I know that members of my family (even alumni) wouldn't go to the game for 37$ but I could have probably convinced them to go at 25$. Pricing has a lot to do with decisions.
    My point was that if you only have $30, and you just can't make $40 work... you're probably not going to the game in the first place because of how tight things are financially.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      My point was that if you only have $30, and you just can't make $40 work... you're probably not going to the game in the first place because of how tight things are financially.
      At some point a $10 price difference will price everyone out.

$10, $20, $30 ... $110, $120, $130 ... $1110, $1120, $1130

Different people have different thresholds. Sounds like yours is higher than mine. I could easily afford the ticket price at a much higher price, my household income is multiples higher than the SD average. However, it seems a little tone deaf when a person can't understand why even people with disposable income wouldn't pay $37-$47 to sit in the cold on a busy Saturday.

I don't think price was the only factor for most people who didn't go, but it was a factor in the decision. It is just crazy to think ticket price doesn't impact people's decision making process.

On a personal gripe/complaint level, as someone who could afford much better seats, I won't do it. One reason is that I don't completely trust the athletic department. I've heard multiple variations of pricing, donation requirements, priority points, etc. A great example is alcohol in the club. I have very little doubt this is a short lived freebie, but ticket prices and donation requirements won't go down once they start charging for drinks. Maybe I'm the exception (some of my friends think I'm cheap!), but I want to know what I'm paying and what I'm getting now and in the future. If I don't know that, I'm certainly not going to pay a premium for things like loge or club seating.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        The National Championship is sold out. Guess who holds the tickets...
        Im sure each school that gets in will have a certain amount of tickets available to them, yes?

Comment

We don't have the fanbase to try to be charging more than the bison do for their playoff game to try to fill a bigger stadium. That's just being stupid, sorry. I get the "it's only $10 thing" but reality is that's just not well thought out. An extra $10 adds up quick when it's spread into a family. If you want more casual fans to show up don't try to charge more than the school that continually sell their stadium out game after game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            We don't have the fanbase to try to be charging more than the bison do for their playoff game to try to fill a bigger stadium. That's just being stupid, sorry. I get the "it's only $10 thing" but reality is that's just not well thought out. An extra $10 adds up quick when it's spread into a family. If you want more casual fans to show up don't try to charge more than the school that continually sell their stadium out game after game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more time because for some reason people that trouble comprehending this. We could not have charged less or even the same prices NDSU did. The NCAA MANDATES that the price of tickets couldn't be less than the ticket prices during the regular season.

Our cheapest ticket during the season was $27. Seems we could have been $10 lower than we were, but we couldn't have matched NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              One more time because for some reason people that trouble comprehending this. We could not have charged less or even the same prices NDSU did. The NCAA MANDATES that the price of tickets couldn't be less than the ticket prices during the regular season.

Our cheapest ticket during the season was $27. Seems we could have been $10 lower than we were, but we couldn't have matched NDSU.
              Might thumper's point be that Admin. should consider reducing regular season prices such that they aren't compelled to charge higher prices for playoff games?

For me, one key issue is how lower prices could make it more palatable for casual fans to attend a couple more regular season games they might not otherwise, have a good experience, and remember those experiences when they are deciding whether to purchase playoff tickets. Assuming these fans have positive experiences a majority of the time, their likelihood of subsequent attendance increases, and one way to increase probability of initial attendance is to reduce cost.

Side note -- I'd like to know how many of the fans at the Villanova game were not season ticket holders

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Might thumper's point be that Admin. should consider reducing regular season prices such that they aren't compelled to charge higher prices for playoff games?

For me, one key issue is how lower prices could make it more palatable for casual fans to attend a couple more regular season games they might not otherwise, have a good experience, and remember those experiences when they are deciding whether to purchase playoff tickets. Assuming these fans have positive experiences a majority of the time, their likelihood of subsequent attendance increases, and one way to increase probability of initial attendance is to reduce cost.

Side note -- I'd like to know how many of the fans at the Villanova game were not season ticket holders
                I don't know what he possibly meant. I read the post. I'm not so much responding to him as there are others still beating the horse that they should have been lower.

We averaged over 15,000 fans this season which is roughly 80% of the stadium capacity. That's awful good especially in year 1. I'm in the boat that if we would have averaged much more than that you can argue the stadium wasn't big enough.

We couldn't even get 1/2 of the regular season average to the playoff game. People can try to blame the ticket price but I think there is much more to it.

Comment

I don't know what he possibly meant. I read the post. I'm not so much responding to him as there are others still beating the horse that they should have been lower.

We averaged over 15,000 fans this season which is roughly 80% of the stadium capacity. That's awful good especially in year 1. I'm in the boat that if we would have averaged much more than that you can argue the stadium wasn't big enough.

We couldn't even get 1/2 of the regular season average to the playoff game. People can try to blame the ticket price but I think there is much more to it.
                  Out of the "much more to it" which things could the Athletic Department tweak to try to get more people to the game? Weather? Nope. Kickoff time? Nope. Busy Saturday schedules? Nope. Let's see, what else is there. I know I'm forgetting something...
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Comment

I believe students got in free (due to a corporate sponsor, which is awesome).

I wonder what the student section would have looked like if they had to pay even $10. I've been told a small price difference wouldn't impact anyone's willingness to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        Out of the "much more to it" which things could the Athletic Department tweak to try to get more people to the game? Weather? Nope. Kickoff time? Nope. Busy Saturday schedules? Nope. Let's see, what else is there. I know I'm forgetting something...
                        What is your point? I didn't even kind of infer the department had control over any of that stuff. But you also can't expect them to fix everything. If you can't recognize that things are trending in a positive direction when it comes to attendance your head is in the sand.

We AVERAGE 15k fans this year. Read that again. Are you saying the department should have taken a bath (free tickets everyone!) so they could have filled the place all year? Again if we are filling this stadium from day 1 it's too small.

You didn't go to the game because it was $7 above what you said was a "lock" for you to go. Then you proceed to tell us you make much more money than most. Your argument (for you personally) is weak at best. Not going was your way of protesting the price but the price didn't PREVENT you from going.

Oh yeah this:

Comment

What is your point? I didn't even kind of infer the department had control over any of that stuff. But you also can't expect them to fix everything. If you can't recognize that things are trending in a positive direction when it comes to attendance your head is in the sand.

We AVERAGE 15k fans this year. Read that again. Are you saying the department should have taken a bath (free tickets everyone!) so they could have filled the place all year? Again if we are filling this stadium from day 1 it's too small.

You didn't go to the game because it was $7 above what you said was a "lock" for you to go. Then you proceed to tell us you make much more money than most. Your argument (for you personally) is weak at best. Not going was your way of protesting the price but the price didn't PREVENT you from going.

Oh yeah this:

I'm not expecting them to fix everything, and I'm not expecting them to give away tickets. Of course things are trending positively. I simply think it is ridiculous to think the price of admission won't impact attendance.

The price of tickets gave me and my group a reason to think about attending, a price of $30 and it isn't even a conversation. A price of $40+ and it becomes a conversation.

I don't think I ever said I was protesting anything. I'm also pretty sure I never said the price prevented me from going, but that it was a factor in the decision.

Comment

I believe that the staff needs to hear about this business of not doing business properly. I don't think much is accomplished by rehashing it here. I suggest a friendly email.

Comment

I wonder how many people that COULD HAVE attended last week but didn't will make the trip to Fargo?

$30 ticket
                              $120 hotel
                              $50 gas
                              $100 meals/beverages/blah/blah

$300 trip but the memory will be priceless if we win. Right?

Just thought I would throw this out there in case there was any life left in that horse.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                I wonder how many people that COULD HAVE attended last week but didn't will make the trip to Fargo?

$30 ticket
                                $120 hotel
                                $50 gas
                                $100 meals/beverages/blah/blah

$300 trip but the memory will be priceless if we win. Right?

Just thought I would throw this out there in case there was any life left in that horse.

SUPERBUNNY
                                There's definitely still life... I would venture to guess that even for the game in Brookings if you looked at ticket price, gas coming from sioux falls, and meals/beverages/blah, you could easily get to $100.

You increase that overall cost by 7%, and....

Comment

Working...
                                X