Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nova - Guess the attendance

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Our casual fan base just isn't there. If there were "there" - $40 and cold weather wouldn't matter as much.

Our rivals up north have two things going for them. Much more rabid fan base and they play indoors this time of year. Although I worry if, theoretically speaking, SDSU was seeded higher than NDSU and we were playing this weekend's game at The Dana. There is a very good chance there would be more green and yellow in the stands than yellow and blue. Rabid fans tend to ignore the price and weather more than non-rabid fans. NDSU's rabid fan base > SDSU's rabid fan base.

Yes, I know...5 straight national championships will do that. The run of national championships they had in the 80s doesn't hurt either to build that base.

So - best thing we can do. Continue to support our really good team and get as many friends to come with you as you can to games like last weekend. We have to build our fan base one person at a time and the best way to do that is growing the small network of fans around you.

Let's also go out and get a win up north on Saturday.

Winning cures everything in athletics!!!!
    I think this says it best. We just don't have a very large base of rabid fans and or students who will be at a late season or playoff game regardless of weather or cost etc. I believe the weather after November 1 showcases the small contingent of extreme fans we have. It was not surprising to see the gender in-balance at the game and fewer older folks who attended. It was my first playoff game I have been able to make and had a blast as virtually everyone there was so into the game on every play. I would prefer that kind of atmosphere over a full stadium for a rivalry or Hobo Day game where the numbers are impressive, but the atmosphere is not near as good! It was refreshing to see players encouraging fans to stand on third and fourth down and everyone was already up! Kudos to the students who stayed to the very end singing the school song with the players! It was a very special day and not want I will ever forget!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
      I've read through this whole thread and have wanted to post what I was thinking but didn't how to phrase it. All the complaining about the poor turnout because of the price is ridiculous. What number would people have been ok with? 8000? 10000? 12000?Was the price a little high? Probably. I think everyone somewhat agrees that it was maybe a little high and I understand that everyone's financial situation is different. But I also think it is about priorities and obviously everyone has different ones and has things that are important to them and would do it at any cost. This is something that I personally would have spend more than $50 to attend if I had to. I have family members that think that is dumb and expensive and a waste of time. But that doesn't mean it is to me and obviously the 6000 other people that were there.

Do people actually think that if they were $10 cheaper or even $15 - $20 cheaper that 2000-6000 more people would have showed up.

I guess what I am trying to say is ya the price was maybe a little high but you cant tell me you have never spent more than $50 to do something you really wanted to do. And I also understand that people with families are spending close to $200 to get in and that is kind of expensive, but for the 17,730 people that went to the Hobo day game, it wasn't too expensive then.
      Thank you for posting this. This will be the last post I make on this topic, I promise (unless someone comes in and spouts off something stupid, then I might have to step in ).

The only people that should complain about the prices are the people that paid for tickets. If you didn't go, you can tell yourself that it was because prices were too high, but you're kidding yourself. If a $7 difference is going to break your bank or even make you think twice about going, you weren't going to spend the $30 in the first place. As others have said, you may have had other priorities, which is just fine... but don't spout off about how expensive tickets were and act like that's why you didn't go. There are plenty of times when you couldn't fill the stadium up if you sold tickets for $5 because of so many factors. The fact is, the stadium fills up when people want to be there. People want to be there for the Hobo Day game for the experience, that's why it was full, it didn't have anything to do with prices. Until Jacks football can prove that the experience is worth the price of admission, attendance will be what it is.

Also, you're right about how it's expensive for families, but that's why you don't take your kids to every event! If I took my kids to every event I go to, I would be broke. I love for them to attend sporting events, and I take them often, but I pick and choose when I take them. We talk so much about how we wish our attendance was like NDSU's, well look at how many kids go to their games... I would venture to guess not very many. Do I want SDSU sporting events to be family friendly and try to encourage more families to go? Of course. Do I think it's reasonable to do that at every single event, including a high profile playoff game? Not at all.

End Rant.

Comment

I will say this as blunt as I can and I am sure the every mcdip**** on bisonville would cry no, it helps it is in Fargo a larger town. 2 hours out of your day may not seem like much but nearly 3 times this year I almost didn't make it because of activities for my kids. I'm not the only one. Sioux Falls has so much more going on in it than Fargo. And yes people work weekends, sometimes it is hard for people to drive an hour and an hour back and go to work. Also our SDSU students and alumni just are so much more successful, they move out of state to help the less fortunate like North Dakota and Nebraska. While most NDSU grads move to Sioux Falls seeking to escape the squalor that is their home state and a better life. For a $1 a day I think we can help sponsor the less fortunate in the Williston and West Fargo areas........or at least finally rescue Thumper. GO RABBITS!!!!!!
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

My last comment on the subject. The cold I picked up as a result of being at that game was worth it. It's interesting when you expose yourself to the elements like that for three hours you almost feel like you were in the game too. It's quite a feeling! I no longer care who or how many show up as I can't control it, but I know for me and my immediate family we will not miss a future opportunity to attend a playoff game regardless what the weather does!

Comment

Posted somewhere earlier: Price for playoff tickets was same as Hobo Day ($37, $42, $47). Dictated by NCAA rule (and yes, I believe the department knew specifically what the rule was and how the higher Hobo Day ticket prices had to be used) on second and subsequent playoff games. All of us (well, maybe not everyone) has to make choices. I recently bought tickets to a concert and paid way above my comfort level, but know that I will have to cut spending out somewhere else, but we wanted to go. So we shall go. Choices...we all make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              Posted somewhere earlier: Price for playoff tickets was same as Hobo Day ($37, $42, $47). Dictated by NCAA rule (and yes, I believe the department knew specifically what the rule was and how the higher Hobo Day ticket prices had to be used) on second and subsequent playoff games. All of us (well, maybe not everyone) has to make choices. I recently bought tickets to a concert and paid way above my comfort level, but know that I will have to cut spending out somewhere else, but we wanted to go. So we shall go. Choices...we all make them.
              NDSU regular season ticket prices were $50 sideline & $40 end zone for 3 games (season opener, homecoming & SDSU) and $40 sideline & $30 end zone for the 3 remaining games. Their playoff ticket prices are $40 sideline & $30 end zone.
              USD Fan

Comment

If SDSU makes it to Frisco, do you think we will have more fans there or at last Saturday's playoff game?
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                  If SDSU makes it to Frisco, do you think we will have more fans there or at last Saturday's playoff game?
                  Sadly...last Saturday's game

Comment

The attendance number was right where I expected it to be. I thought it was a great crowd. Things are trending in the proper direction. I don't think low balling the ticket price (which wasn't even an option) would have increased the number of people there by more then a few hundred. It's just not priority for the casual fan. Until the season ticket fan base reaches 5,000 plus you won't see 10,000 people in the stands in late November and December.

A playoff game against an east coast basketball school isn't enticing to most fans. I had a great time.

As for Frisco.......Jackrabbit fans are not accustomed to planning for trips to the national football quarterfinals much less semifinals or championships. Include that fact that getting to Frisco isn't likely that easy and you can be sure there won't be many making the tip south.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

• Re: Nova - Guess the attendance

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      The National Championship is sold out. Guess who holds the tickets...
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm all for putting a glut of Championship tickets on the market again.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          I believe the term is "icing on the cake"

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Me too.

Assuming we beat NDSU on Saturday, it will be interesting to see how many tickets become available and at what price. There have to be a lot of Bison fans with flights and/or hotels already booked. Cheapest on Stubhub right now are over $200/seat.

The timeframe to buy will be tight, and there will be another school in the equation that wants to buy (some) tickets too.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              The financial reality is that if you can afford a $40 ticket, you can afford a $30 ticket. People that could afford season tickets, could afford playoff tickets.
                              Those are both false assumptions. If you are on a budget, you don't/can't adjust just because it is close. If someone only has 30$, they can't make 10$ appear out of no where.

A season ticket holder might have gotten the package based on the fact that it would exclude them from any playoff games. Many families compromise on entertainment, especially with not everyone in the family enjoys sports/movies/concerts.

I know that members of my family (even alumni) wouldn't go to the game for 37$ but I could have probably convinced them to go at 25$. Pricing has a lot to do with decisions.
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Me too.

Assuming we beat NDSU on Saturday, it will be interesting to see how many tickets become available and at what price. There have to be a lot of Bison fans with flights and/or hotels already booked. Cheapest on Stubhub right now are over $200/seat.

The timeframe to buy will be tight, and there will be another school in the equation that wants to buy (some) tickets too.
                                I see on the NCAA ticket exchange they are listed at $185-$800 now.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X