Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ UNI for the MVFC title!

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
    My only occasional issue with his broadcasts is with the picture painting. IMO, Tyler sometimes gets a little too caught up in painting the picture that it takes too long to get to what actually happened on the field. He's painting the picture, and I'm asking, "Did he catch the ball?" or "Was it a touchdown?" or "Did he make the shot?" Sometimes you can tell from the crowd reaction, but not always, especially on the road. Overall, though, he does a fine job.
    Agree. He's an above average announcer and does a good job of not being a fan. Same for our beat writers. The other DI school has unbearable announcers and a beat writer that is clearly a fan although he does a much better job if keeping it low key.

My only complaint is when they don't give the score and the clock time often enough. That should be part of almost every play in FB or possession in basketball. It's easy to say "3rd and 4 with 7 mins in the 2nd quarter or 68-60 with 2 minutes in the game....
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
      My only occasional issue with his broadcasts is with the picture painting. IMO, Tyler sometimes gets a little too caught up in painting the picture that it takes too long to get to what actually happened on the field. He's painting the picture, and I'm asking, "Did he catch the ball?" or "Was it a touchdown?" or "Did he make the shot?" Sometimes you can tell from the crowd reaction, but not always, especially on the road. Overall, though, he does a fine job.
      This is a fair criticism. Some might argue that it adds to the experience by creating some additional suspense. Keeps fans on the edge of their seat, so to speak. But again, fair criticism.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Tyler's wife, my former nurse loves to talk SDSU sports and Tyler. It does not matter how negative we might get here, Tyler has his biggest fan at home and that what counts to him I would presume. As many have said SDSU is lucky to have have him.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          This is a fair criticism. Some might argue that it adds to the experience by creating some additional suspense. Keeps fans on the edge of their seat, so to speak. But again, fair criticism.
          Criticism is a good thing. If the things JimmyJacks says about Tyler's work ethic are true, I have to believe Tyler would welcome honest critiques and work to improve.

A couple years ago Scotty Kwas was awful at giving score updates. He'd literally go game minutes without giving us the score. I remember it being discussed here. He's gotten a lot better at that. A LOT.

I have to think doing play by play is difficult to do well. The good ones make it seem effortless even though they are talking to us listeners, listening to the guy in the studio, planning what will be said at the next timeout, and dealing with a plethora of other distractions.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Agree. He's an above average announcer and does a good job of not being a fan. Same for our beat writers. The other DI school has unbearable announcers and a beat writer that is clearly a fan although he does a much better job if keeping it low key.

My only complaint is when they don't give the score and the clock time often enough. That should be part of almost every play in FB or possession in basketball. It's easy to say "3rd and 4 with 7 mins in the 2nd quarter or 68-60 with 2 minutes in the game....
            I think TM does a good job giving time and score updates. The guy who does the women's game is horrible at it. He doesn't say it till there is a time out or a commercial break. if you tune in after the game starts, you can go several minutes just guessing what the score might be.

With TM he does sometimes get a little caught up in something descriptive while something big happened like a TO or a big shot etc, but he is very good and explaining how and what happened and very unbiased. Which is nice because then you think every call goes against us with a homer announcer, but with TM you know if he thought it was a bad call for either team or if either team got lucky.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

As a guy who watches 95% of the games through ESPN3, which means I get to listen to the other team's announcers for all road games, Tyler and Struck do a great job. Hank and Tom do a great job, too. Anyone who listened to the game this weekend on ESPN3 and were subjected to the UNI crew knows how lucky we have it. I can't remember the name of the color guy, but it was a former player who seemingly understood about 25% of game rules. He kept saying he thought the first SDSU interception should have been negated because the UNI QB was across the line of scrimmage when he threw the football. He brought it up before they went to break and after they came back from break. When the official confirmed the pick, he responded by saying "I guess they couldn't tell if he was across the line of scrimmage when he threw it." It was only after the play by play guy gently pointed out that it wouldn't matter where the QB threw the ball from, if it was intercepted by the Defense the penalty would be declined. He also said the throw from Wieneke to TC was "clearly a broken play". Again, the play by play guy had to point out the fact that all of the O-line were blocking for TC probably meant it was a designed screen to the QB. It was like that all game.

More often than not, the away team is comprised of a decent play by play guy with varying degrees of "homer" in him. The color guy is always an ex-player or coach who openly roots for the home team and sees all penalties/plays through homer vision and has very little to add to the game other than to make you want to throw things at your TV. Say what you will about Struck's voice, but dude knows his football. He calls out coverages, how a certain play unfolded and what happened to get to that point, game plans, etc. He knows his X's & O's as well as anyone you'll listen too.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Criticism is a good thing. If the things JimmyJacks says about Tyler's work ethic are true, I have to believe Tyler would welcome honest critiques and work to improve.

A couple years ago Scotty Kwas was awful at giving score updates. He'd literally go game minutes without giving us the score. I remember it being discussed here. He's gotten a lot better at that. A LOT.

I have to think doing play by play is difficult to do well. The good ones make it seem effortless even though they are talking to us listeners, listening to the guy in the studio, planning what will be said at the next timeout, and dealing with a plethora of other distractions.
                Tyler is actually a great story. He has always wanted to do play-by-play. As a kid, he would record games on a VCR and play them back so he could record his own play-by-play on a cassette recorder. You should see how he prepares for games. He has this huge piece of poster board that he pastes all the names, facts, statistics, human-interest notes on for easy reference during the game. He does that for every game. One other thing you will note is that he doesn't trip over any names of the opposing players. That's because he memorizes the names and numbers of key players before the games, for every sport he calls. The guy works his butt off. There's a whole lot more to play-by-play than just showing up and saying what you see. It's the preparation that sets him apart, the easy access to facts and statistics and stories. Next time you listen, make note of all the extra information that Tyler brings to the table during his calls. Also note how the production flows without any awkward moments or pauses or people talking over each other. That's Tyler's ease with the medium showing through. His work is impressive and his preparation and natural abilities are why he's considered a very, very talented broadcaster by people who know that business.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                  As a guy who watches 95% of the games through ESPN3, which means I get to listen to the other team's announcers for all road games, Tyler and Struck do a great job. Hank and Tom do a great job, too. Anyone who listened to the game this weekend on ESPN3 and were subjected to the UNI crew knows how lucky we have it. I can't remember the name of the color guy, but it was a former player who seemingly understood about 25% of game rules. He kept saying he thought the first SDSU interception should have been negated because the UNI QB was across the line of scrimmage when he threw the football. He brought it up before they went to break and after they came back from break. When the official confirmed the pick, he responded by saying "I guess they couldn't tell if he was across the line of scrimmage when he threw it." It was only after the play by play guy gently pointed out that it wouldn't matter where the QB threw the ball from, if it was intercepted by the Defense the penalty would be declined. He also said the throw from Wieneke to TC was "clearly a broken play". Again, the play by play guy had to point out the fact that all of the O-line were blocking for TC probably meant it was a designed screen to the QB. It was like that all game.

More often than not, the away team is comprised of a decent play by play guy with varying degrees of "homer" in him. The color guy is always an ex-player or coach who openly roots for the home team and sees all penalties/plays through homer vision and has very little to add to the game other than to make you want to throw things at your TV. Say what you will about Struck's voice, but dude knows his football. He calls out coverages, how a certain play unfolded and what happened to get to that point, game plans, etc. He knows his X's & O's as well as anyone you'll listen too.
                  I'm in the same boat. Listen to the announcers of our peers and you quickly realize how lucky we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post

Danan Hughes was the commentator. He's the worst. He cannot shut his mouth. As you note, he was trying to claim that on the QB screen where we scored, Taryn wasn't the intended receiver. Are you kidding me? He suggested they would revisit the play when they returned from a commercial. Of course they didn't because it would have shown he doesn't know what he's talking about. The guy is a joke.

I agree about Struck. I learn things about football from him. That's kind of my measuring stick for color commentators. Do they make me smarter or dumber. Hughes: Dumber. Struck: Smarter.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Tyler is actually a great story. He has always wanted to do play-by-play. As a kid, he would record games on a VCR and play them back so he could record his own play-by-play on a cassette recorder. You should see how he prepares for games. He has this huge piece of poster board that he pastes all the names, facts, statistics, human-interest notes on for easy reference during the game. He does that for every game. One other thing you will note is that he doesn't trip over any names of the opposing players. That's because he memorizes the names and numbers of key players before the games, for every sport he calls. The guy works his butt off. There's a whole lot more to play-by-play than just showing up and saying what you see. It's the preparation that sets him apart, the easy access to facts and statistics and stories. Next time you listen, make note of all the extra information that Tyler brings to the table during his calls. Also note how the production flows without any awkward moments or pauses or people talking over each other. That's Tyler's ease with the medium showing through. His work is impressive and his preparation and natural abilities are why he's considered a very, very talented broadcaster by people who know that business.
                      Having grown up a few blocks from Tyler, I will corroborate this. He made me do stats for him for games we were watching, something, I as a 10 year old, didn't want to do. He also did play-by-play for our wiffle ball games in the back yard. This is something he has always wanted to do. When his peers were playing Teener or Legion baseball in the summer, Tyler was working at KCCR in Pierre calling those games.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                        Having grown up a few blocks from Tyler, I will corroborate this. He made me do stats for him for games we were watching, something, I as a 10 year old, didn't want to do. He also did play-by-play for our wiffle ball games in the back yard. This is something he has always wanted to do. When his peers were playing Teener or Legion baseball in the summer, Tyler was working at KCCR in Pierre calling those games.
                        Tyler grew up on Euclid By the Donut Shoppe?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          Tyler grew up on Euclid By the Donut Shoppe?
                          Negative. Old house in south east Pierre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could have me do play by play. I would spend the entire game bitching about refs and our coaches.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

TM: ++++++

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                You could have me do play by play. I would spend the entire game bitching about refs and our coaches.

That would work.

Comment

Working...
                                X