Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FCS Rankings

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Do you really think pissing and moaning on a message board is going to improve our seed?
    Nope. Putting the word out will though. If people (selection committee members) think they can get away with seeding other teams higher, they'll do it. The only way to change it is to put the facts out and hold people accountable. I'm not in much of a position to do those things, but "just sit back and enjoy" won't get it done at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      We CANT lay an egg.
      Totally agree but its not enough by itself. WE are beating some people, including #1 at home. And not enough are paying attention. The polls prove it.
      NO WAY should some of these other teams be ranked above us. We have to get the word out.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Ndsu luck was at it again. Because ewu and csu kickers can't make a game winning fg is why ndsu won those. Same reason they won at Iowa. Woulda coulda shoulda and they make those 3kicks and ndsu has 3 losses. But I am glad they missed so sdsu could beat the number 1 ranked team again.
        Luck? Maybe. Maybe not. Both EWU and CSU had to make very long field goals...I'm pretty sure the EWU attempt was from 49 and the other was just as long. Neither was really expected to make it. NDSU's kick was pretty much a routine kick from roughly 34-36 yards out. NDSU put themselves in a good position to win. I don't call that luck.

With that said, it would not be hard to imagine us with 4 losses this year so far. It does not look like NDSU has a championship team right now. But we didn't look like it at this time last year either.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
          Luck? Maybe. Maybe not. Both EWU and CSU had to make very long field goals...I'm pretty sure the EWU attempt was from 49 and the other was just as long. Neither was really expected to make it. NDSU's kick was pretty much a routine kick from roughly 34-36 yards out. NDSU put themselves in a good position to win. I don't call that luck.

With that said, it would not be hard to imagine us with 4 losses this year so far. It does not look like NDSU has a championship team right now. But we didn't look like it at this time last year either.
          Yes they were longer field goals, but in a dome.......I would like to thing college kickers have a 50/50 shot at making those 40-50 yard range fg. I would like to thing CSU and EWU put themselves in position to win and just blew it. not like NDSU blocked the FG. The Iowa game NDSU did give it self a chance to win and took advantage of it. Basically NDSU seems to be more beatable this year then they have been in a while. but then again last year you had 2 losses.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Never give up, until the last dog is hung. The Bison are a very good football team and they may collect another ring.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Yes they were longer field goals, but in a dome.......I would like to thing college kickers have a 50/50 shot at making those 40-50 yard range fg. I would like to thing CSU and EWU put themselves in position to win and just blew it. not like NDSU blocked the FG. The Iowa game NDSU did give it self a chance to win and took advantage of it. Basically NDSU seems to be more beatable this year then they have been in a while. but then again last year you had 2 losses.
              Overall I'm not really disagreeing with the sentiment, but the bolded statement is strange to me. There is a huge difference going from 40 to 50 yards for field goals. I would put a 40 yarder at definitely higher than 50%, but when you get to 50 yards, there is no way that is a 50/50. I would put that at 25% at best. True, I'm just pulling those percentages out of nowhere...but there is a big difference. Both of those games I would have been surprised to see the field goals made...it also mattered the teams we were playing. If it was a team with a really good field goal kicker it would have been different...there just are few teams with really good kickers. Anyway, enough splitting hairs about games that have been decided...time for the final push to the playoffs. On a side note, I'm very nervous that UNI will give us a second loss that will separate the conference race a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I have no problem with NDSU being ranked above us despite the head to head result. Also, the reports of NDSU's demise seem awfully suspect considering they have wins over highly ranked Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington, top 20 Western Illinois, and a 5-3 Iowa.

I also agree that USD absolutely deserves to be ranked, and had they not pissed away the UND game, they'd be sitting at 5-2 like us with only losses to FBS New Mexico and ranked Youngstown.
                I don't mean to throw a wet blanket over the USD love fest, but they could just as easily be 0-7 as 5-2. Everyone will find out just who UsD is in the next 4 weeks.
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                  I don't mean to throw a wet blanket over the USD love fest, but they could just as easily be 0-7 as 5-2. Everyone will find out just who UsD is in the next 4 weeks.
                  The key is they have won the close ones and have stayed in the game to win. This is worth something. No love fest as far as I am concerned just giving credit where credit is due. We may regret Bob Nielsen ever set foot in Vermillion.

Comment

And the Jacks could've lost to S. Illinois and NDSU...
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

That's life in our conference. You could easily have two more losses as well. Not saying you didn't earn the victories you had (which I'm not), but it came down to one play against us and the SIU game was just crazy. You definitely earned those wins, but the better team doesn't always win. USD is not a contender, but they are no longer a pretender either. They have made big strides.

Comment

jacks1 beat me to it. I'm too wordy.

Comment

I agree with this. USD is fortunate to be 4-3 right now. They blew the game at UND, but also won very close games against Weber, ISU-B, and ISU-R that all could've went either way. If they can beat WIU then maybe I'll start to believe. I still think their playoff shot is slim because they'd have to beat either NDSU or SDSU and I don't see that happening. Still, they deserve credit for pulling out these close wins.

Comment

Overall I'm not really disagreeing with the sentiment, but the bolded statement is strange to me. There is a huge difference going from 40 to 50 yards for field goals. I would put a 40 yarder at definitely higher than 50%, but when you get to 50 yards, there is no way that is a 50/50. I would put that at 25% at best. True, I'm just pulling those percentages out of nowhere...but there is a big difference. Both of those games I would have been surprised to see the field goals made...it also mattered the teams we were playing. If it was a team with a really good field goal kicker it would have been different...there just are few teams with really good kickers. Anyway, enough splitting hairs about games that have been decided...time for the final push to the playoffs. On a side note, I'm very nervous that UNI will give us a second loss that will separate the conference race a bit...

Yeah SDSU fans I don't think are excited to be going to UNI for the last game of the year either. sort of a deja vu from last year with us going to WEstern ill.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                              Totally agree but its not enough by itself. WE are beating some people, including #1 at home. And not enough are paying attention. The polls prove it.
                              NO WAY should some of these other teams be ranked above us. We have to get the word out.
                              This could get old.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                First of all, the fact that NDSU is ranked higher than you is a farce. SDSU is deserving of a higher ranking no matter what poll. You might be the best team in the country right now at the FCS level. Although they are certainly capable of winning another title, my money says NDSU will not win the championship this year. They are still really good, but not like in years past. In my opinion, you dominated them.

Now regarding the coaches poll vs. the Stats poll, again I don't understand why the coaches don't show you more love, but the Stats poll is borderline ridiculous. As an example, Montana State is receiving enough votes that would place them about 30th. They are 2-5. One win against Bryant University and one win against Division II Western Oregon. They are WINLESS in the Big Sky. Winless, and they are roughly 30th? No way.

I'm not tooting USD's horn yet, but we are vastly improved. We were extremely fortunate to have won last Saturday, but we did. If, and this is a real big if, we win against Western Illinois then us being ranked in the Top 25 is warranted in my estimation. Although you will probably roll your eyes at this, but USD beating NDSU in Vermillion is not out of the realm of possibility. Not likely, but not totally without merit. NDSU is NOT the NDSU of old. I think you are the cream of the crop right now in The Valley. Your loss to Cal-Poly is no big deal. NDSU losing to Montana and USD last year didn't hurt them, no reason a qualified committee member doesn't choose you higher.

in closing, I want to take your bet of your next paycheck that voters are mistaking SDSU for USD. If that was the case, we'd be higher yet. �� Not sure what your pay stub amounts to but I like the odds of it landing in my bank account.
                                Not that I really care if my comments came across as a dig against USD, but that wasn't my intention. USD is clearly improved this year and have a really good coach. However, there were multiple weeks last year when USD would be receiving votes, specifically in the Coaches Poll, when they had no business receiving votes (not unlike Montana St. this year - which is likely a result of being confused for Montana).

For what it's worth, I've lived in WI for almost 18 years now and people will still come up to me and ask about something that happened "in the Dakotas" as if it's still one big territory. When I clarify that I'm from South Dakota, the next question inevitably is either "isn't it really cold there?" or "isn't that where everyone is getting rich from oil money?". It's not a stretch to think that a couple of assistant coaches from the rest of the country wouldn't bother to take the time to decipher between USD and SDSU when casting their votes for the Coaches Poll (or some sports writer casting his/her vote for the STATS Poll). Also, USD deserving of the votes doesn't disprove my theory.

All of these discussions are rendered pointless if we win out. I say we focus on that.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X