FCS Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS Rankings

I watch rankings. I like to hear what others think about all kinds of things and CFB is no different.
    I think the Jacks are pretty good this year...and ranked 7/10...really? Who's better? And who are they playing?

I looked.

The team from James Madison is leading the Colonial Athletic Association, has a 6-1 record with a loss to FBS North Carolina.
    Their FCS and lower opponents have a combined record of 17-27 and exactly none are projected to be in the playoffs.

The team from Sam Houston State is 7-0, ranked first, has played no one from FBS, and the names in the list of teams they have played looks like afterthoughts from Friday night scoreboard on KELO. Their opponents are 15-36, NONE has a winning record and none are projected to be in the playoffs.

The team from Brookings SD has a 5-2 record, played and lost an FBS game, their FCS opponents are 28-16 and four of those FCS teams are projected in the playoffs.

For what its worth.

Re: FCS Rankings

That's why I like the Sagarin computer ratings. They have NDSU at #1, UNI at 2 , the Jacks at #3 and Youngstown at #5. UNI is somewhat puzzling, but their FBS win factors into that. They also have the toughest part of their Valley schedule remaining, so they have the most potential to drop.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
      I watch rankings. I like to hear what others think about all kinds of things and CFB is no different.
      I think the Jacks are pretty good this year...and ranked 7/10...really? Who's better? And who are they playing?

I looked.

The team from James Madison is leading the Colonial Athletic Association, has a 6-1 record with a loss to FBS North Carolina.
      Their FCS and lower opponents have a combined record of 17-27 and exactly none are projected to be in the playoffs.

The team from Sam Houston State is 7-0, ranked first, has played no one from FBS, and the names in the list of teams they have played looks like afterthoughts from Friday night scoreboard on KELO. Their opponents are 15-36, NONE has a winning record and none are projected to be in the playoffs.

The team from Brookings SD has a 5-2 record, played and lost an FBS game, their FCS opponents are 28-16 and four of those FCS teams are projected in the playoffs.

For what its worth.
      Much discussion and angst over SHSU being number one nationally. Jackrabbit specific I have an issue with CSU being ahead of us in the Coaches Poll. They have played a DII, Monmouth, Presbyterian, transitioning to FBS Coastal Carolina, and NDSU. The only win on par with 3 of our last four is the CCU game. The lost in Fargo and we won. We have 3 top 15 wins and they have a boarder line top 15 win against CCU in overtime. I just don't see how they are above us. The rest you could make an argument for being above us with having less losses, though I don't think Chattanooga has much argument over us either. Once you get into the top ten our loss to Cal Poly starts to hurt. But a couple of the teams above us will likely drop another game. If we win out it could be a pretty magical playoffs for us IMHO. Everyone on here should be huge UNI fans right now.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Personally I like AGS rankings the best.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...K-8-10-24-2016

The poll is done by a plethora of fans who actually pay attention and study the games and teams involved, rather than stat guys/assistants (coach's poll) or computers (stats poll).

AGS has Sam Houston a bit lower (#4). Probably a better placement, IMO.

I can't argue with anyone else above SDSU (AGS poll.)
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Chattanooga State has played no FBS teams and the combined record of opponents is 26-27.
          Shorter is 0-8
          Presbyterian is 2-6
          Furman is 1-6
          Samford is 6-1
          East Tennessee is 3-4
          Mercer is 4-3
          Citadel is 7-0
          VMI is 3-4

I see no argument for Chattanooga to be over us. None. Zero.
          I think we need to make some noise about this. The playoff seeds are important; just ask the Byson how important.

Comment

James Madison has beaten nobody of any stature. I can't agree with them over us.

Comment

How in the world is SDSU 10 in the Coaches Poll?

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post

I looked.

For what its worth.

There is a HUGE east coast bias or perhaps west of the Mississippi river bias in FCS. DIAA was basically an east coast division with Montana, UNI and YSU sprinkled in before NDSU and SDSU made the move up. When it comes to polls, playoff selection, scheduling, etc....the east coast bias prevails.

SDSU should be in the top 5. If the voters did any research they would all agree. But they're lazy and will always default away from the western schools and favor those closer to the east coast.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  East coast bias. See my prior post. Its rampant and frustrating and unfortunately it's not likely to change.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

OK i'm on a roll

I checked out the Citadel. Unbeaten.

Their signature win is over Chattanooga at home. a 22-14 win in which they piled up 349 total yards, only 7 of which came through the air.
                    The rest of their schedule:

Mercer 4-3
                    Furman 1-6
                    Gardner Webb 3-5
                    West Carolina 1-6
                    North Greenville 4-4
                    Chattanooga is 7-1
                    Wofford is 4-3.

Thats 24 wins and 28 losses. Take out Chattanooga and the record is 17 and 27.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      You know something is wrong with a poll when the Jacks go up only 4 spots after beating the #1 team on the road and another top 15 team at home after already beating another top 10 team at home (WIU).

I lost all faith in that poll when I think it was either last year or the year before when USD was receiving votes while having a .500 record or a losing record because coaches (probably from the East Coast) were confusing South Dakota and South Dakota State.

Comment

Just so others aren't looking for the actual standings.

FCS STATS: SDSU is #7. NDSU is #4, WIU is #13, Cal Poly #14, and YSU #15
                        Coaches Poll: SDSU is #10. NDSU is #4, YSU is #14, WIU #15, Cal Poly #17 and USD #25
                        Hero Sports: SDSU is #7. NDSU is #4, WIU #13, YSU #14, and Cal Poly #17
                        AGS: SDSU is #7. NDSU is #3, Cal Poly #11, YSU #14, WIU #18, and USD #22
                        Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM. Reason: Added AGS poll
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

meh...

Focus on being 1-0 the rest of the way out, and we will have a top 6 seed. I'd expect a top 4 seed, but you never know with the selection committee.

Comment

The one that matters will be released soon. The committee will be releasing their top ten the last three weeks of the season. THAT is a poll that matters. A lot. We need UNI to keep winning and USeD to win enough to stay ranked so we can have the most ridiculous resume possible. All of this discussion is for nothing if we don't win out though.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Much discussion and angst over SHSU being number one nationally.

I have plenty of angst regarding SHSU and a couple other teams. However, as you stated these polls really don't matter much, it all comes down to the selection committee. I'll save really exploding for when we win out and end up with a 7 or 8 seed, or not even seeded at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X