GDT: Hobo Day 2016 SDSU vs YSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Hobo Day 2016 SDSU vs YSU

In regards to the comments about students leaving early..... My wife and I commented how the student section was probably still 3\4 full at least in the second half. Not till the 4th was it clearing out IMHO. But we should probably look in the mirror as paying fans. How many in the sections around left early. 4th qtr we had room to spare. As for future attendance we will see what out paying alumni thing for the next game. My guess is student section will still be mostly full. Not sure if the rest of the stadium will be. Interesting to see how many show up our last 2 games.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
      Wonder what the point of that policy is? Cut down on employees?
      I'm assuming it's for drinking, as well as going out and giving tickets to people who didn't purchase them, where one person leaves with 4 tickets and comes back with 4 people.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Seems to me this policy encourages more drinking, you leave at half time and go drinking the remainder because after all you cannot come back. The technology to control pass outs is in hand already, ticket scanners. To control employee costs, designate a single pass out gate. And, sometime after halftime open the gate to anyone that wants to come ( unless the game is a sell out). You may find that to be good advertising for the product being sold, or at least sell a few sodas and popcorn.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          In regards to the comments about students leaving early..... My wife and I commented how the student section was probably still 3\4 full at least in the second half. Not till the 4th was it clearing out IMHO. But we should probably look in the mirror as paying fans. How many in the sections around left early. 4th qtr we had room to spare. As for future attendance we will see what out paying alumni thing for the next game. My guess is student section will still be mostly full. Not sure if the rest of the stadium will be. Interesting to see how many show up our last 2 games.
          Was reading the USD board where they said there were about 30 students that stayed for the 2nd half of their game yesterday. Guess we maybe don't have much to complain about.

Comment

Stinks that Jacks could lose at least one, and possibly multiple, game attendee(s) over this situation.

At first glance, I wondered if the staff might be more amenable to making an exception if the person exiting was leaving for something more vital than a cellphone charger (not meaning to imply that trying to help a spouse is not vital).

It appears policies differ, even among DI schools from "power" conferences; for instance Ole Miss prohibits re-entry citing SEC policy, but BYU purportedly allows re-entry. Side note: Kudos to Ole Miss for proactively stipulating the rationale for each policy detailed on its website.

Just for the heck of it, I researched as many of the Valley schools as I could find relatively quickly with the following results:
            1). NDSU does not permit re-entry
            2). UNI does not permit re-entry
            3). Youngstown does not permit re-entry

Perhaps this is a MVFC policy, similar to Ole Miss' SEC one.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              It would be really interesting if we moved to a system where the price of tickets for admission to games isn't just lumped into student fees, but rather do it like big time colleges do, where students have to purchase season tickets. They get a very good deal on them, but I think you would end up with more kids that actually wanted to be at the games, and they might be more likely to stay for the whole thing if they actually pay for them. I know that if I get free tickets to a game and I've got something else I could go do, I'm much more likely to leave early than if I had paid for those tickets. Also, as we have said for all of the other attendance related talk in the past, winning will do wonders in terms of making people want to come to and stay at games.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                It would be really interesting if we moved to a system where the price of tickets for admission to games isn't just lumped into student fees, but rather do it like big time colleges do, where students have to purchase season tickets. They get a very good deal on them, but I think you would end up with more kids that actually wanted to be at the games, and they might be more likely to stay for the whole thing if they actually pay for them. I know that if I get free tickets to a game and I've got something else I could go do, I'm much more likely to leave early than if I had paid for those tickets. Also, as we have said for all of the other attendance related talk in the past, winning will do wonders in terms of making people want to come to and stay at games.
                What about incentivizing students generating interest among other students? For instance, during the games, they'll post students' tweets about how awesome the game's atmosphere, player performances, etc. are on the scoreboard -- what if SDSU could implement a program where students receive tiered discounts for the bookstore, Jackrabbit Central, etc. based upon the number of fellow students they help convince to attend and remain at games. This could be logistically cumbersome and/or unfeasible, but QR codes displayed in the stadium late in games could be used to verify attendance, or they could set up a "Jack Backers" student website where new game attendees specify who convinced them to attend games. Then, verified students could receive increased discounts, with the new attendees receiving lesser discounts for indicating who helped convince them to attend.

In theory, this could be done with season ticket and single game attendees -- people specify who encouraged them to attend and the referring party receives some incentive.

While I understand how "free riders" would lack investment in the game, I'm having difficulty understanding how increasing the cost to student sports fans will generate broader interest, although it might garner some goodwill between those who object to higher ed.'s subsidization of athletics by reducing the number of students subject to certain fees (assuming the university correspondingly reduced the general activity fee, which I do not foresee occurring), those fees also support fine arts, events and services.
                Last edited by jakejc795; 10-24-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  I'm assuming it's for drinking, as well as going out and giving tickets to people who didn't purchase them, where one person leaves with 4 tickets and comes back with 4 people.
                  Getting your hand stamped as you leave would fix this issue.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The discussion on re-entry.......aren't we missing the bigger picture here about site security? Can't get complacent about these things in today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      The discussion on re-entry.......aren't we missing the bigger picture here about site security? Can't get complacent about these things in today's world.
                      No we can't! I think its a protection against someone unstable doing severe damage, and some 20 year old, popping a top, on an illegal obtained beer can does not even enter the picture. Its not likely though that some ill-meaning person, would forget their explosives in the car, but you never know. It does protect the crowd in general with no traffic coming and going into the stadium.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-24-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

For what it's worth, ticket people were applying the re-entry policy uniformly. I witnessed staff drawing a hardline with former President Peggy Miller, warning her that she'd be denied re-entry if she left.

I was not aware of policy until during the game. The big problem here is reminding people of "no re-entry" as they are leaving.

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I have a rant.

There was a discussion on this board earlier this week about how the signage in the stadium was lacking, and in some places hard to see. Well, I found that out the hard way this week.

My wife's phone died during the first half, so my buddy and I walked to his car to get a portable charger while she stayed with his wife to get ice cream. We didn't realize that there was no re-entry into the stadium if you left. Apparently there were signs, but I didn't see them at all. No one stopped us or said anything as we left. In previous years, we'd always leave at half and come back. I don't know if this rule is new, and I just didn't hear about it, or if it's always been there and just never been enforced really well. Either way, we were not allowed back into the stadium with our tickets.

To add insult to the injury, the ticket people were incredibly rude. One ticket taker told us there were signs "all over" inside, and we should have known, and acted like we were the stupidest people on earth. Another laughed at us and said we could go buy two more tickets. Gotta say, it really put a damper on my Hobo Day enthusiasm that I spent $42 a piece for tickets and only got to watch one half of the game. My wife and my friend's wife also left after we couldn't get back into the game because they weren't going to sit and watch it while we couldn't.

Yes, it's partly (all?) my fault for not seeing the signage, but I think the policy itself sucks. I was pretty excited to go to the MSU game and the USD game, and honestly, I think I'll probably stay home now.

Glad the Jacks won, though.

Comment

Well Pilgrim, some times you have to do what you got to do. Its like TK said, there are security concerns especially when 15 to 20k people assemble.

Comment

Its a bad policy and the security concerns are badly overblown.

Comment

agree on the fire trucks etc. No need for all that.

I noticed the parade cars were way down this year. Two state reps were walking at the end of the parade.
                              I drove a beauty queen in the parade last year but probably won't do it again. They weren't terribly appreciative of the effort and it was a total pain in the ass to follow a band from a small town.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                                Its a bad policy and the security concerns are badly overblown.
                                I don't agree. It's pretty easy to understand and it's enforced at many other venues. I don't like it but that doesn't mean it's bad policy.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X