Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Southern Illinois at Carbondale

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    What's with this Big Sky scoring. We have yet to hold an opponent to less than 20.
    Really???? It was last week

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      COLE LANGER SACKS THE SIU QB.

The Jacks are gonna win this.

6 sacks for the Jacks tonight.
      Langer was overdue to make a big play. Hasn't been in on many this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
        Really???? It was last week
        Opps that's right WIU got 14, thank you. Our best defensive effort although tonight was not all that bad with 6 sacks.

Comment

Maybe we've been holding back to not let NDSU in on a big secret?*

At least we didn't fold our tent. ....maybe we pulled out the center pole for the tent but we didn't fold it. There was a palpable momentum shift for SIU and we hung on to win.

* No, I am not aware of any big secret.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Of course, delighted we won a road game. But, I sure didn't like that game.
            Seems like mid 1940's basketball scores. When we have air show, the opponents are pressured to respond, which SIU did tonight.

Comment

I wasn't able to listen to the game until the 4th quarter, what was the issues lake of pressure, poor tackling, cbs or safeties getting beat? We do we need to improve the most?
              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                I wasn't able to listen to the game until the 4th quarter, what was the issues lake of pressure, poor tackling, cbs or safeties getting beat? We do we need to improve the most?
                Poor tackling and poor angles. Our DBs/LBs were burned on several occasions cutting under WR blocks and just getting flat out beat to the spot because of it. I don't mind the aggressiveness, but we didn't execute it well.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                  Our defense just isnt very good. I think WIU folded last week which gave us hope our defense didn't suck something awful. Too many yards too many points. It's going to cost us at some point.

Credit SIU for not folding when they were down 17.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Our defense just isnt very good. I think WIU folded last week which gave us hope our defense didn't suck something awful. Too many yards too many points. It's going to cost us at some point.

Credit SIU for not folding when they were down 17.
                    I think that this defense is still very young. In the MVFC young usually equals not very good to start the season. I have seen a little improvement, but there are still too many lapses.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Our offense is good enough to win a National Championship. Never in the history of the program have we had such offensive weapons. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, defense wins championships. There won't be a "light bulb moment" to fix our defensive woes as we don't have the personnel to correct it. It's very frustrating to score and in less than a minute our opposition negates it with a touchdown of their own. The defensive coaches in our conference must stay up at night worrying about how to stop our offensive juggernaut. On the other hand, the offensive coaches in our conference rest easy and say, "Great, let's have lunch."

My fear is that the epitaph for the 2016 football season will read: Well, they had a great offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        Our offense is good enough to win a National Championship. Never in the history of the program have we had such offensive weapons. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, defense wins championships. There won't be a "light bulb moment" to fix our defensive woes as we don't have the personnel to correct it. It's very frustrating to score and in less than a minute our opposition negates it with a touchdown of their own. The defensive coaches in our conference must stay up at night worrying about how to stop our offensive juggernaut. On the other hand, the offensive coaches in our conference rest easy and say, "Great, let's have lunch."

My fear is that the epitaph for the 2016 football season will read: Well, they had a great offense.
                        I cannot give you rep pts, but I think from a fan view, some of this must be going on in the coaching circles. If our defense picks up where left off. We will be okay. The TV guys noted that all the weapons on offense are back next year. Our QB is just getting better. Can we not argue that SIU offense is very good? Their QB No. 12 stay in despite his injury stayed in the game.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-09-2016, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Rants and Raves

Rave: TC put up some video game numbers. Think if his accuracy had been a little more like usual! It is going to be fun to watch him the remainder of this year and the next two years. I also really like how he is using his mobility this year.

Rant and Rave: I thought the play calling was good in stretches last night and horrid in others. It just felt really inconsistent. After the long catch and run by Lewis in the third quarter we went really conservative. It would have been nice to get at least to a 24 point lead before going conservative.

Rant: I really like the first end around handoff to Dallas. Totally caught the defense flat footed. When they ran it again in the second half, I thought they would fake a handoff and run a post to Jake. Someone mentioned that it looked like Dallas was going to throw it. I'd have to see the replay to know.

Rave: Kellen Soulek played a really nice game. He plays with a lot of emotion and seems to just toss an offensive lineman at least once a game.

Rave: Dallas Goedert's block to spring Mengarelli free on the long catch and run.

Rant: The defensive play calling and/or execution on the bubble screens. We just sat back and let them throw it over and over and over again.

Rave: I think Isaac Wallace is having a good year. I'd like to see him get the ball more often. He is a hard runner who can make people miss.

Rant: I still don't understand why the red-shirt was pulled on Jacob Brown. Our WR group is so deep and talented that it just seemed like a panic decision for the one game that Wilde was out.

Rave: Fireworks at the end of the game during the TC tv interview.

Rave: We didn't look past SIU and are now ready for the Bison.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

TC's stats for the season: 67% completion, 327 ypg, 20 TD, 1 int.

That would be outstanding for a fifth year senior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              Poor tackling and poor angles. Our DBs/LBs were burned on several occasions cutting under WR blocks and just getting flat out beat to the spot because of it. I don't mind the aggressiveness, but we didn't execute it well.
                              Agree. The angles the guys take when pursuing the stretch play, swing pass, jet sweep, etc....are bad. Then the tackling is poor and this is what you get. Have to do a much better job on 1st down.

3rd down was terrible in the 2nd half on both sides of the ball. At one point SIU was 10 of 19 while SDSU was 4 of 12. No way you beat a good team playing like that. Make no mistake, SIU is not a good team. They are at the bottom of the league. Things get a heck of a lot harder starting this week.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Agree. The angles the guys take when pursuing the stretch play, swing pass, jet sweep, etc....are bad. Then the tackling is poor and this is what you get. Have to do a much better job on 1st down.

3rd down was terrible in the 2nd half on both sides of the ball. At one point SIU was 10 of 19 while SDSU was 4 of 12. No way you beat a good team playing like that. Make no mistake, SIU is not a good team. They are at the bottom of the league. Things get a heck of a lot harder starting this week.
                                Further proof that the rankings some cite can be misleading, you might be interested in how SIU compares to NDSU: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary. SIU's offense is among the best in the MVFC (the best in total offense and second, behind the Jacks, in scoring offense). The Jacks beat a good offense last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X