Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: @TCU GDT

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Post game thoughts, first is it doesn't seem right that in a game like this the #13 team in the country somehow got the lucky breaks. Take the fluke TD pass and the clanged fg off the board and this is a much different game. Dammit. Oh well.

With how tight the QB controversy seemed to be this fall I was worried that TC hasn't improved as much as I had hoped passing. That whole thing had to have been a smoke screen, cause he made some really really impressive throws. There was no reason to put him in after he hurt his ankle, but thank go we have Lujan should his ankle need some extra rest. Also thank god it's Drake next week, whole lost to something called Quincy. So he can take an extra week of he needs it without much of a problem.

O line pleasantly surprised me. Blocked pretty well overall IMHO, with plays where our RB got hit at the line were three yards gains it seemed cause they were getting a good push. Need to stay on blocks better, but the pass protection seemed pretty solid too.

Defense did OK, hard to tell considering who we played. First half was good besides the first drive. Only gave up one TD and that was on a real short field. I think they were really gassed in the second half.

The kicking game. Was anybody else really pleased with this? I was. After all we heard about inconsistency from the kickers I was really happy with it. Outside of the punt that was returned for a TD that seemed to be a case of out kicking the coverage, I thought it was really solid. Chase did a good job I though as did the rest.

Bottom line is I'm REALLY excited about this team and after what I saw I don't think that a 9-2 year is nearly the long shot I originally thought it was.
    Re. the OL, how about Pupungatoa? Ben Leber mentioned his pulling block multiple times, with one being Wallace's TD. Whomever made the call for Pupungatoa to to switch from DL to OL, deserves kudos, particularly if he maintains, or further improves, his play.

Jacks' lack of penalties were also impressive. Don't think they had any false starts playing on road in what could've been a louder stadium. I am curious if TCU might say refs were more apt to penalize them because Jacks were decided underdogs.

9-2 definitely seems attainable if Jacks play like we've now seen they can.

Comment

The O-line and D-backs were probably the Jacks' biggest question marks going into the game. Both units showed great promise. Special teams are a little shaky. All of the other position groups looked very solid. With a couple of breaks, the Jacks could have beaten TCU game and made a dramatic statement. It should be a good season.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        85-63=22. I think our guys played in a very honorable fashion. Mike Struck kept mentioning speed as a difference at all positions and I can not argue with that. I am proud of our guys and hope the injuries are minimal. Time to move on. Its Drake and Club 71.
        Several of TCU's longer gains also seemed to stem from TCU's receivers blocking downfield in manner Jacks could not shed (I thought the receivers on a couple plays could've been called for holds, but that's likely my pro-Jacks bias). Nevertheless, Ben Leber did mention that he thought TCU receivers snuck a questionable high-low block on Jacks (think Dallas Brown might've been the victim) by the refs.

Definitely looking forward to next week and getting the stadium rockin' against Drake.

Comment

Jeez, but you guys know how to scare a fellow! I think everyone was properly impressed with the Jackrabbits...after the game if not before. You should have a really good season. As to speed, I thought SDSU looked as fast as the Frogs, which was a shock. Haven't seen a better receiver than Weineke, but anticipated that. What was a surprise was how good that QB threw the ball. He's the real goods. If any of you got down for the game, I hope you had a good time and didn't run into any sorehead Frog fans (every school has some). Go, Rabbits, and win the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by old scribe View Post
            Jeez, but you guys know how to scare a fellow! I think everyone was properly impressed with the Jackrabbits...after the game if not before. You should have a really good season. As to speed, I thought SDSU looked as fast as the Frogs, which was a shock. Haven't seen a better receiver than Weineke, but anticipated that. What was a surprise was how good that QB threw the ball. He's the real goods. If any of you got down for the game, I hope you had a good time and didn't run into any sorehead Frog fans (every school has some). Go, Rabbits, and win the rest!
            Thank you for all your compliments about the Jacks. I have much better feeling now about how we will fare in our conference. TCU is a class program. Your coach naturally was not happy with his teams play, but when you see things that you hope will not happen do happen before your very own eyes, what can you do? Gary is a class guy. I wonder how many other FCS teams forced him to sweat and remove his visor and clean his glasses before the first half ended? I guess we can claim that.

Comment

Great game by the Jacks. Proud of the way we played. Our d line could not get any pressure and that could have made a difference. On to Drake!

Comment

Didn't have enough depth on defense to defend for four quarters. Christion played great but had a few times where he needed to throw the ball away. Is hilarious watching Wieneke running past defenders time and time again whether he was single or double convered
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by old scribe View Post
                  Thanks for this. I will continue to beleive that save a lucky tip for a touchdown when we were down four, Jacks had a real chance to win this game and would have deserved t win it. They could have folded as a lot of FCS schools would have when they got down 14 late, but they came back to within 4. No moral victories here. We should have won this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Time to move on. Its Drake and Club 71.
                    An outsider would take this statement like you were going to a club in Vegas with the rapper Drake lol
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                      Hell of a night. No one thought it would be this close.

And Christion is back in there. He must be feeling okay?
                      No one? Better re-read some threads. anyways, it took a fluke reception, a clanger of a field goal, and stupid punting to the center of the field for TCU to beat us. It almost made me believe Jesus was actually on their side! Headlines should read "Fluke Plays Help TCU Escape Superior FCS Team! Weinecke receives electoral votes"i
                      Last edited by Theee Catrabbit; 09-04-2016, 11:12 AM.
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Gary always keeps a bunch of stuff under wraps in these games, but I still wonder what he was thinking. He ran the D as though TCU was the team with fewer scholarships. Hardly substituted at all. Fortunately for TCU the offense got a few things straightened out in the second half. I think part of Frog problem was that they had no idea that QB could throw that well. He was on target with some difficult passes. Anyway, I've enjoyed chatting with you guys. Go win the rest!

Comment

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that concerned me was poor tackling. If we would have wrapped them up better we probably win this game honestly. Should be an easy fix, but it concerns me looking down the road at the teams were going to need to tackle well against.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Links to game stories on various sites:
                            Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hill-no...medium=twitter
                            Fort Worth Star Telegram: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e99924352.html
                            Minneapolis Star Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/hill-no-1...-41/392272701/ (similar to Yahoo ... its an AP Story)

Also in the Mpls Star Tribune: AP summary on FCS wins over P5 programs yesterday -- from the AP -- note the final paragraph in a story about FCS wins, tells about SDSU's game at TCU: http://www.startribune.com/three-fcs...day/392275001/

I've got a little bit of the 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' blues this morning but will recover, thinking about how the youth on our team showed up well and our vets looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              An outsider would take this statement like you were going to a club in Vegas with the rapper Drake lol
                              Considering the price tag of $750, it better feel like Vegas, or I take my marbles and go home.

Comment

Working...
                              X