Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Aren't fake ids a thing anymore? Can't the students replicate the wrist bands? Aleast try to be creative,students. Taking this path is useless.
    At the two games I have attended they have used different colored wristbands.

Comment

just have someone who is 21 get it for friends who are not. cut them off and tape them on someone else. there are multiple tents to get wristbands.

Or just go and don't drink there. if you think you need to drink that bad, just do before you go tailgating.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        just have someone who is 21 get it for friends who are not. cut them off and tape them on someone else. there are multiple tents to get wristbands.

Or just go and don't drink there. if you think you need to drink that bad, just do before you go tailgating.
        They put permanent marker on your hand so you can't get more than one bracelet.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          Wow. Apparently this person hasn't seen attendance at USD events
          If tailgating is the reason someone attends a school that is just plain sad. I was at USD tailgate this weekend with a family member who goes there. I had a good time and was not bothered by a single cop.

Comment

Wonder if all those students who say they will transfer because of tailgating have checked with mom and dad who are helping to pay their college bills ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Wonder if all those students who say they will transfer because of tailgating have checked with mom and dad who are helping to pay their college bills ?
              Yes, a poor tailgating experience seems like a legitimate excuse to transfer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08
                The petition is dumb, I get that. I also understand things needed to change, but colleges have been tailgating around the country without such strict rules since forever.

Ultimately, UPD is using the wristband check to give out minors to kids. It's basically (and I know this is way over the top) checking IDs of random people to see if their illegal immigrants. Now I understand that we're tailgating on SDSU property so the rules change, etc.

I don't know why I'm so against this tailgate thing. I just think if I was a student (18-20) I would have never showed up to tailgate because it's pretty much a guarantee you're getting a minor.

Too bad SDSU owns all of the land as far as the eye can see. That's probably a big part of the problem, nowhere to tailgate near the stadium that isn't on the heavily controlled SDSU grounds... It's a problem that many schools don't face with the stadium being off campus sometimes and even if it isn't, the areas surrounding it are owned by someone else who would have less stringent rules and not be facing the scrutiny of donors and board members.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Too bad SDSU owns all of the land as far as the eye can see. That's probably a big part of the problem, nowhere to tailgate near the stadium that isn't on the heavily controlled SDSU grounds... It's a problem that many schools don't face with the stadium being off campus sometimes and even if it isn't, the areas surrounding it are owned by someone else who would have less stringent rules and not be facing the scrutiny of donors and board members.
                  I was at the Washington State/Oregon game last week and there were plenty of RV's in the Walmart parking lot about 2 miles from the stadium. So there are places you can set up for tailgating with out being on campus.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    I was at the Washington State/Oregon game last week and there were plenty of RV's in the Walmart parking lot about 2 miles from the stadium. So there are places you can set up for tailgating with out being on campus.
                    Im pretty sure you cant just go to Walmart and start tailgating in their parking lot. And how long before the Brookings police shows up? I assume the walmart in Eugene and the city OKd the tailgating. If you did it in Brookings it would be open container.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      Im pretty sure you cant just go to Walmart and start tailgating in their parking lot. And how long before the Brookings police shows up?
                      Well there about 40 RV's in the lot and they stayed overnight. They must had spoken to the store manager. I saw several other RV's in other lots around town, spending the night, so if you talk to the the owner of the property, I am sure you can camp overnight. I'm just suggesting that you should not limit you tailgating opportunities to the designated tailgate spots. Just open your mind a little and some of you can think of other places to tailgate and not be harassed by UPD.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        Well there about 40 RV's in the lot and they stayed overnight. They must had spoken to the store manager. I saw several other RV's in other lots around town, spending the night, so if you talk to the the owner of the property, I am sure you can camp overnight. I'm just suggesting that you should not limit you tailgating opportunities to the designated tailgate spots. Just open your mind a little and some of you can think of other places to tailgate and not be harassed by UPD.
                        I know that RV's are always filling up the Walmarts in the summer in Mitchell. But i dont think they can go outside the RV, set up some chairs and start drinking. They certainly can drink in their RV cause what goes on in their RV, stays in their RV

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                          The legal age for 3.2 in SD changed from 18 to 19 on July 1, 1984. As a 1984 HS grad I was one of a group that turned of age at 18, 19, and 21. Always thought that was kind of unique.
                          Prior to July 1, 1972, the following age restrictions were the law in SD: for 3.2 beer, had to be at least 19; for all other alcohol, had to be at least 21.

Effective July 1, 1972, the age limit for 3.2 was lowered to 18. Still had to be at least 21 for all other alcohol.

See post 398 by NebraskaJack for subsequent changes in the drinking age laws.

Nearly all laws in SD become effective on the first of July following the end of the immediately preceding legislative session.

I turned 18 in March of 1972 so I was legal for 3.2 that July 1 and started my freshman year that Fall. ��

Comment

Pretty sure the UPD give an underage student caught drinking, some sort of "citation" requiring them to attend three counseling sessions on campus. That's what happened to a daughter of friends of mine (they were talking to the daughter in the Backyard -- personally present not just by cell phone--.when the UPD cited her). My understanding is the UPD is not citing them for the state charge of underage drinking unless they're catching them more than once or for other circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              I know that RV's are always filling up the Walmarts in the summer in Mitchell.
                              Oh I thought that was just a new housing development.....you know...because it's Mitchell......
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Prior to July 1, 1972, the following age restrictions were the law in SD: for 3.2 beer, had to be at least 19; for all other alcohol, had to be at least 21.

Effective July 1, 1972, the age limit for 3.2 was lowered to 18. Still had to be at least 21 for all other alcohol.

See post 398 by NebraskaJack for subsequent changes in the drinking age laws.

Nearly all laws in SD become effective on the first of July following the end of the immediately preceding legislative session.

I turned 18 in March of 1972 so I was legal for 3.2 that July 1 and started my freshman year that Fall. ��
                                Thanks I had thought there were more events in this saga of setting a legal age for consuming alcohol beverages. As I stated before, there were some bills to change the age to 19 as early as 1957 or there about. Those bills died in committee. It seems though that this issue is not settled completely. I know the DOT gets there federal funds contingent on the age being 21. Back in the 1950's every boarder state of SD had a legal age of 21, and there were some teens who found it convenient to travel to SD in order to drink legally even though it was only 3.2 beer. The petition suggests that a younger age should be appropriate. The ancient argument was if you were old enough to fight in wars, you should be allowed to drink. Lowering the age to 18 would solve the tailgating issues, but hopefully it would not deny funds to fix the roads in SD. I think we are stuck with age of 21.

Comment

Working...
                                X