X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackJD
    replied
    Re: 2016 Season Predictions

I'm concurring with WestSideRabbit. With two of us out on that limb, the limb may break but on the other hand, if we've guessed correctly, we will be considered smart and handsome and everyone will buy us beer.

Leave a comment:

• WestSideRabbit
    replied

@TCU Loss
    Drake Win
    Cal Poly Win
    Western Ill Win
    @Southern Ill Win
    @NDSU Win
    Youngstown Win
    @Ill State Win
    Mo State Win
    USD Win
    @UNI Win

10-1 seems about right.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I see a lot of people predicting the YSU game as a loss. Is that more a function of predicting the minimum of one let down game we seem to have at home every year? Or YSU being a tough team to beat, even at home? I just don't see YSU being that tough, maybe I'm wrong.
    I see it as a possible loss because it's after the NDSU games, and that game always seems to have a let down the week after for most teams. The other reason is what has been mentioned already, it seems our Hobo Day performances haven't been great recently. And I think that YSU has a playoff team this year. If you look at their games last year they should have beaten NDSU last year had Pelini kept his head and lost to ISUr by three as well. I think they end up at 3rd or 4th in the Valley. That and I think people don't want to be overly optimistic for the season.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

I see a lot of people predicting the YSU game as a loss. Is that more a function of predicting the minimum of one let down game we seem to have at home every year? Or YSU being a tough team to beat, even at home? I just don't see YSU being that tough, maybe I'm wrong.
    An indication I think that people are willing to admit to themselves we seems to play a little.....lackluster on Hobo Day lately.

I however, am not ready to admit that yet myself. I think we beat YSU, and I can't wait to see Pelini raging on the sideline.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    My Guess:
    TCU - L
    Drake - W
    Cal Poly - W
    WIU - W
    SIU - W
    NDSU - L
    YSU - L
    ILST - L
    MSU - W
    USD - W
    UNI - W

7-4 Overall

Leave a comment:

• mitchell
    replied

My Guess:
    TCU - L
    Drake - W
    Cal Poly - W
    WIU - W
    SIU - W
    NDSU - L
    YSU - L
    ILST - L
    MSU - W
    USD - W
    UNI - W

7-4 Overall

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    USD also tried to shorten the game, played it exremely safe.. More 2 TE sets with a FB, and only 1 WR, than I have seen since Knute Rockne's days.
    -that's also how they beat NDSU. Gind it out, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and all that jazz.

I'll be interested in how they adapt to coach Neilson's changes. They could be an up and coming program, real soon.
    You no doubt are correct about the strategy, but I went back to look at the play by play stats and TC had a horrible 3rd quarter, many incompletes plus an interception to a son of former SDSU player Wessel. Wessel's dad played good ball for Wayne Haensel, but I digress. Lujan came in at the start of the fourth and threw at least 6 consecutive passes. Weinke was often the receiver and they came back from a 10 point deficit. They scored at 14:02 of the fourth quarter and one USD three and out and we had the ball back and marched field for another TD and took the lead. When one QB is having an off day and that's what it was for TC, another can come in and change the complexion of the game, which Lujan did. Its a hell of good situation to have.

As far as Neilson, nothing fancy about his game plans excepted they are well executed and planned. The guy apparently is a great motivator, and we will have our hands full with USD for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am digressing here but Stig was 2-0 against Brian Kelly when he coached Grand Valley State, but SDSU had a good line and Josh Ranek. I do agree we got a good situation with the QB's and Lujan won the USD game with help from the D. USD most likely spent the prior week preparing for TC and it worked in the first half but not the second half.
    USD also tried to shorten the game, played it exremely safe.. More 2 TE sets with a FB, and only 1 WR, than I have seen since Knute Rockne's days.
    -that's also how they beat NDSU. Gind it out, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and all that jazz.

I'll be interested in how they adapt to coach Neilson's changes. They could be an up and coming program, real soon.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    (shoulder shrug) I'm just working with the facts. Lujan came in for TC and led us to victory when TC was struggling. If you'd like to debate that, have at it.

We have 2 QBs that are more than capable. I don't think that qualifies as having "none". I'm pretty sure Brian Kelly would tell you the same if you asked him about the QB competition between Kizer and Zaire in South Bend.

Now if you asked me about Sanchez and Siemian being listed as co-starters for the Broncos.....................
    I am digressing here but Stig was 2-0 against Brian Kelly when he coached Grand Valley State, but SDSU had a good line and Josh Ranek. I do agree we got a good situation with the QB's and Lujan won the USD game with help from the D. USD most likely spent the prior week preparing for TC and it worked in the first half but not the second half.

Leave a comment:

• TK22867
    replied

Right, because you know definitively that if TC stayed in that game, there's no way we would have come back. Not only that, but people seem to place that win solely on Lujan's shoulders, and they forget how huge the defense came up to get us back into that game.
    (shoulder shrug) I'm just working with the facts. Lujan came in for TC and led us to victory when TC was struggling. If you'd like to debate that, have at it.

We have 2 QBs that are more than capable. I don't think that qualifies as having "none". I'm pretty sure Brian Kelly would tell you the same if you asked him about the QB competition between Kizer and Zaire in South Bend.

Now if you asked me about Sanchez and Siemian being listed as co-starters for the Broncos.....................

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Also the wedge is doing a write up on most teams in FCS, good place to go to get a feel on the rest of the division

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Very good write up. There are no truer words than this quote from the article: "As a UNI fan I can attest, firsthand, to the old saying of “If you have two quarterbacks you have none”."

I am completely in step with his W/L prediction, and I agree that it would be a shame if the new house doesn't host a playoff game this year.
    I agree, though I think it was worse for UNI because their system didn't work great with the qbs they had.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    Well then I'll take having "none" QBs. Worked out pretty well last year against USD.
    Right, because you know definitively that if TC stayed in that game, there's no way we would have come back. Not only that, but people seem to place that win solely on Lujan's shoulders, and they forget how huge the defense came up to get us back into that game.

Leave a comment:

• TK22867
    replied

There are no truer words than this quote from the article: "As a UNI fan I can attest, firsthand, to the old saying of “If you have two quarterbacks you have none”."
    Well then I'll take having "none" QBs. Worked out pretty well last year against USD.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Good write up and prediction here on thefcswedge.com

http://thefcswedge.com/conference-pr...-dakota-state/
    Very good write up. There are no truer words than this quote from the article: "As a UNI fan I can attest, firsthand, to the old saying of “If you have two quarterbacks you have none”."

I am completely in step with his W/L prediction, and I agree that it would be a shame if the new house doesn't host a playoff game this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X