X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    For everyone bitching about the players going back on verbals... just two days after signing day, WIU headcoach Charlie Fischer is leaving to become the WR coach at Arizona State. Those players that signed are still bound to the school, unless the school releases them. Fischer had to have known he was leaving as these players were signing their next 4-5 years away. What a joke!
    Sounds like Fischer is Neilson/Kent State 2.0...to be continued.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
      Not saying this was the case with Seth, but often times schools, including SDSU, will tell a kid that they need a verbal answer in 24 or 48 hours. Most of them haven't seen another campus or coach and have nothing to compare it to. Yes, Iowa lost a lb to Michigan and went and poached a kid from SDSU. The only way to prevent this is having students sign when they verbal. There is no way of proving that a student athlete gave the coach a verbal. there has to be a paper trail. NDSU has lost several to Minnesota, Iowa, and Iowa State. WE are not alone. Hopefully we've recruited some depth at each position and we might have to go rob from Augie, USF or a UND. 98% of us would have made the same decision Seth has made. There is a difference in experience. Not to mention a $4-5,000 stipend and unlimited food with training table. Love Brookings, but it isn't Iowa City or Lincoln especially on game day.
      Agree on this:

SDSU could have likely given Seth an ultimatum when their offer was extended.
      Big 10 stadiums are what most kids dream of playing in - hard to turn your back on that.
      Unlimited food and training table - from what I know, SDSU doesn't offer anything like that.
      We definitely are not alone. NDSU lost just as many as we did - I think 3 to the schools you mentioned.

Disagree:
      $4000-$5000 stipend - SDSU coaches have the liberty to offer COA on a case by case basis based on information publicly made available.
      Yes, there is no paper trail regarding verbal commitments but a quick search on the internet would let you know what a football recruit's intentions are.

My point still remains - don't commit unless, deep down, you know you are 100% committed. If Coach X or School Y comes calling after the commitment, you won't be swayed. I don't think that is too much to ask and in the end, it is best for both parties if it played out this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        If you were 17 years old and your choices were Iowa,Nebraska or SDSU you would choose? I cannot fault a kid for reaching for the stars.
        That's the perception SDSU and others have to fight. No not every kid should pick SDSU over IOWA, but those borderline recruits. I don't think its so cut and dry. As fans we are trying to create the culture of SDSU, but the athletes are also showing a culture, that you can come here and be as successful as you can a lot of other places. look at Wolters and Daum and Jenkins Jr soon to follow that path. look at Witzman and ZZ and The wizard and Goedert. I think people need to stop thinking its the haves and the have nots and we don't deserve to get the top recruits we can. The well its iowa or Nebraska we don't stand a chance. Well with that mind set, we don't. Again not every recruit would be the fit here, but plently over look us and we have more too offer then maybe it appears on paper.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Agree on this:

SDSU could have likely given Seth an ultimatum when their offer was extended.
          Big 10 stadiums are what most kids dream of playing in - hard to turn your back on that.
          Unlimited food and training table - from what I know, SDSU doesn't offer anything like that.
          We definitely are not alone. NDSU lost just as many as we did - I think 3 to the schools you mentioned.

Disagree:
          $4000-$5000 stipend - SDSU coaches have the liberty to offer COA on a case by case basis based on information publicly made available.
          Yes, there is no paper trail regarding verbal commitments but a quick search on the internet would let you know what a football recruit's intentions are.

My point still remains - don't commit unless, deep down, you know you are 100% committed. If Coach X or School Y comes calling after the commitment, you won't be swayed. I don't think that is too much to ask and in the end, it is best for both parties if it played out this way.
          Whats the point of the verbal commit if it means nothing. 2 things to fix that. let kids sign any day they want, or get rid of commits and no one knows whose going where until signing day. that would be crazy.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            That's the perception SDSU and others have to fight. No not every kid should pick SDSU over IOWA, but those borderline recruits. I don't think its so cut and dry. As fans we are trying to create the culture of SDSU, but the athletes are also showing a culture, that you can come here and be as successful as you can a lot of other places. look at Wolters and Daum and Jenkins Jr soon to follow that path. look at Witzman and ZZ and The wizard and Goedert. I think people need to stop thinking its the haves and the have nots and we don't deserve to get the top recruits we can. The well its iowa or Nebraska we don't stand a chance. Well with that mind set, we don't. Again not every recruit would be the fit here, but plently over look us and we have more too offer then maybe it appears on paper.
            I would love to have a football culture where we get more than 8,000 fans for a playoff game.

Comment

Good lord, these are 17-18 year old kids...I'm 4....well, old and I am known to change my mind on occasion. This is their future, I'd be concerned if this was happening to 1/2 or even 1/3 of our verbals. It's not...heck Jill Young was enrolled at Creighton I believe for a few days when she realized it was a mistake. I think that turned out well for us. I remember a recruit a few years ago I was excited that verballed and he never signed chose to try to move up...didn't work out for him. JT Nettleton was the kid, last I heard he was on a CC team somewhere. Not saying that happens with Seth, I think he does extremely well in Iowa. I just know the kids who sign are going to be here and do their best to improve this team.

Comment

Whats the point of the verbal commit if it means nothing. 2 things to fix that. let kids sign any day they want, or get rid of commits and no one knows whose going where until signing day. that would be crazy.
                Verbal commitments don't mean nothing. Nobody likes going back on their word, and getting a verbal commitment is a step in the process. It is way to make someone feel committed when a real commitment isn't possible at that point in time.

Have you ever asked someone to marry you?

They said yes? Are you married?

They told their friends and family. Are you married?

You reserved the church and reception hall together. Are you married?

Invitations have been sent. Are you married?

The church is full and she is walking down the aisle. Are you married?

You can actually be married, house, kids, etc, and she can still change her mind. What's the point of asking someone to marry you if their verbal yes at the time of engagement means nothing?

The point is, as you go down the road the commitment level increases it becomes harder and harder to change your mind.

Kids can change their mind after verbally committing. After signing a letter of intent. After enrolling in school. After their first practice. After moving into the dorms. A kid could literally walk off the field prior to kickoff of their first game. They could walk off the field during a play. Each level of commitment just makes it harder to walk away. That's it.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Verbal commitments don't mean nothing. Nobody likes going back on their word, and getting a verbal commitment is a step in the process. It is way to make someone feel committed when a real commitment isn't possible at that point in time.

You can actually be married, house, kids, etc, and she can still change her mind. What's the point of asking someone to marry you if their verbal yes at the time of engagement means nothing?

The point is, as you go down the road the commitment level increases it becomes harder and harder to change your mind.

Kids can change their mind after verbally committing. After signing a letter of intent. After enrolling in school. After their first practice. After moving into the dorms. A kid could literally walk off the field prior to kickoff of their first game. They could walk off the field during a play. Each level of commitment just makes it harder to walk away. That's it.
                  When I first started reading this I thought you may have been drunk. But you did a pretty good job breaking it down. Some still won't get it but that's just how it is.

As far as this Benson kid, I couldn't care less. Football recruiting is such a crap shoot half the kids from this recruiting class likely won't contribute. Seth did what he thought was best for him, I wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    I would love to have a football culture where we get more than 8,000 fans for a playoff game.
                    yep, the fan numbers need to keep improving. However other things have, new stadium, and tailgating and so on. those things get debated all the time on how to enhance the fan experience, but that's a good thing. Also we need to get as many local kids as we can who deserve to be at this level. That builds a culture of kids growing up loving SDSU, like Benson did, but had a choice to make. I think we are trending in the right direction. so compared to where SDSU was when I was in college, I started at SDSU in 2000, things are light years ahead of that time. But also the athlete and administration side of things. Its better for students, and better practice areas, better student support with academics etc. The point is, its getting better. Look at STreveler, going to the goofers and his time at USD. I think there are plenty of borderline kids that we need to sell ourselves to better.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

a bit of an apple and orange comparison. but I will play your game. The issue for me is not someone changing their mind. its a school poaching a recruit who said they were committed else where. your example would be better if there was one other person or an old crush who shows up after all of those steps you took together tries to break that apart for their own benefit when they were not really in the picture from the start. the only time that works out is in hallmark movies. I think most would not like it if a family or friend who was close to getting married, put things on hold when an old boyfriend or girlfriend moved back and wanted to date again. If they have to walk way or put things on hold they probably shouldn't have committed or said yes to start with. I am clearly out of touch with things but, maybe they need to change to verbage. Maybe it should be verbal preference, since its not a commitment in the definition of the word.

Every step there is also an investment in each other. Emotionally and financially. And sadly it happens all to often that people walk away from that commitment. Yes it is better to do is sooner then later.

colleges invest a lot in recruiting someone, and it doesn't stop till they sign. SDSU wanted Benson from Day 1. Iowa shows up after the fact and wants him only after they lost out who they wanted. If a kid changes his mind I don't blame them. The issue for me is a school actively going after someone who is committed. Until its official they are fair game, but either don't commit till the very end or schools should back off once a kid has said he is going somewhere. in todays age, its pretty easy to know if someone is or is not committed to a school.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Embrace the status quo, if you like. I just think we should pursue a higher standard of acceptable behavior by public universities.
                        I don't think many would disagree with you that we should have more acceptable behavior, however, this is big business, jobs on the line, pressure from boosters, etc. My guess is that we have done the same to other schools as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                          I don't think many would disagree with you that we should have more acceptable behavior, however, this is big business, jobs on the line, pressure from boosters, etc. My guess is that we have done the same to other schools as well.
                          I am sure we do, and that bothers me. But it is the way it is. I would say get in and get who you can early, but also be patient with those who need time and maybe get burned by other programs like cole brodie.

Comment

I am sure we do, and that bothers me. But it is the way it is. I would say get in and get who you can early, but also be patient with those who need time and maybe get burned by other programs like cole brodie.
                            Seth Benson, though a two star recruit, going to Iowa over SDSU after making a oral commitment. I don't see how this will stop SDSU from competing next year and years after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Seth Benson, though a two star recruit, going to Iowa over SDSU after making a oral commitment. I don't see how this will stop SDSU from competing next year and years after.
                              100% agree

Comment

I wish the kid the best of luck. Honestly, losing an LB of his caliber doesn’t do much in terms of hurting the program. We are very good at the position and deep.

Comment

Working...
                                X