Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2 more coaches gone!

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
    Football survived, but baseball and wrestling did not. I don't think you'll ever see football on the chopping block. 13.1 Million for UNI and 93.6 for Iowa's 2015 athletic budget. I believe Iowa State was around 70 million. UNI has lost some ticket sales, but giving from the foundation is up to offset decrease in season ticket holders.
    UNI still has wrestling...

Comment

Any info on any hires
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
        They won MVC Titles in 2001, 03, 05, 07, 08, 10, and 11. On a four year dry spell. 7 double digit wins from 2001-2010 and only 1 from 2011-2015. The seat is hot for Farley. My guess is this will be his last in Cedar Falls. Maybe not a downward spiral, but certainly not a program on the rise.

2012 5-6 .455
        2013 7-5 .583
        2014 9-5 .643
        2015 9-4 .692
        The MVFC pre-xDSU's was barely a shadow of what it is today. This year, the MVFC had 3 teams in the top 6 (UNI was one of them). Its a four year dry spell in a league with multiple playoff teams every year, and an undefeated or nearly undefeated eventual national champion each of those four years...

Their winning percentage has gotten better each year. Although I agree that they don't seem to carry the weight they once did, that seems like a program on the rise to any sane person. Expectations these days are unbelievable.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          The MVFC pre-xDSU's was barely a shadow of what it is today. This year, the MVFC had 3 teams in the top 6 (UNI was one of them). Its a four year dry spell in a league with multiple playoff teams every year, and an undefeated or nearly undefeated eventual national champion each of those four years...

Their winning percentage has gotten better each year. Although I agree that they don't seem to carry the weight they once did, that seems like a program on the rise to any sane person. Expectations these days are unbelievable.
          That's right. The Dakota teams gave them instant competition. SIU's temporary decline evens out Ill St rise. Maybe the Dakota teams have cut into their recruiting.

Comment

Additionally, one could fairly easily say that UNI was the 2nd best team in the playoffs this year (behind the Bison). If it wasn't for being placed on NDSU's side, I firmly believe it would have been an UNI VS. NDSU championship game in Frisco.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
              That's right. The Dakota teams gave them instant competition. SIU's temporary decline evens out Ill St rise. Maybe the Dakota teams have cut into their recruiting.
              I did the math in my head, could be off a little:

2001 Northern Iowa 10–3
              2002 Northern Iowa 5–6
              2003 Northern Iowa 10–3
              2004 Northern Iowa 7–4
              2005 Northern Iowa 11–4
              2006 Northern Iowa 7–4
              2007 Northern Iowa 12–1
              62-25 (.713)

xDSU's join MVFC

2008 Northern Iowa 12–3
              2009 Northern Iowa 7–4
              2010 Northern Iowa 7–5
              2011 Northern Iowa 10–3
              2012 Northern Iowa 5–6
              2013 Northern Iowa 7–5
              2014 Northern Iowa 9–5
              2015 Northern Iowa 9–5
              2016 Northern Iowa 0–0
              66-36 (.647)

Pre xDSU, they averaged 3.6 losses per season, since then they have averaged 4. I guess that could be construed into a downslide, but they finished 10th in the nation last year and 6th this year! They made the quarterfinal about a month ago, for crying out loud. I have a hard time believing that guy is on the hot seat...
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Southern Miss' head coach has accepted a job as Tampa Bay Buccaneers OC. Coach Luke Meadows is the OL coach at Southern Miss, so his job with them could be up in the air depending on whoever they hire as a HC and who he wants on his staff. Pure speculation on my part here, but maybe the potential uncertainty at Southern Miss timed up with an open OL job at SDSU is a good enough reason for him to come back home?

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                  Southern Miss' head coach has accepted a job as Tampa Bay Buccaneers OC. Coach Luke Meadows is the OL coach at Southern Miss, so his job with them could be up in the air depending on whoever they hire as a HC and who he wants on his staff. Pure speculation on my part here, but maybe the potential uncertainty at Southern Miss timed up with an open OL job at SDSU is a good enough reason for him to come back home?
                  Doubt he would want to go back to his old position but he could recruit lineman and coach them. His play calling is another story though.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realize that. A quick search of assistant coach salaries reveals a USA Today article that says Meadows made $140,000 this year. For a 9-5 FBS team. For a coach that is now on an NFL staff. He is more likely to be picked up by an SEC school than come back to SDSU as a position coach. Stranger things have happened.

As a side note, after leaving SDSU he nearly tripled his salary after 2 seasons. It is a freaking miracle we keep any coaches with the success we have had.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realize that. A quick search of assistant coach salaries reveals a USA Today article that says Meadows made $140,000 this year. For a 9-5 FBS team. For a coach that is now on an NFL staff. He is more likely to be picked up by an SEC school than come back to SDSU as a position coach. Stranger things have happened.

As a side note, after leaving SDSU he nearly tripled his salary after 2 seasons. It is a freaking miracle we keep any coaches with the success we have had.
                      I think you are correct. Yes we were lucky have him as long as we did. If the HC job opens, he will apply.

Comment

Holy buckets! I did not realize a position coach for a historically average FBS team was making that much! Yeah, I doubt that he would come back to here for about a $90,000 salary reduction just to be a position coach. My gut tells me that he left here to boost his resume and learn from some different coaches, so that he can hopefully be in a better position to become the head coach at SDSU whenever that may open up. But at the same time, you can't wait around for that. What's a better job? Position coach in a power 5 conference (if he were to ever get there) or head coach at FCS level? You can make an argument for each, especially pay wise, however it comes down to your career goals and what you want to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          You make it sound like he is on an 8-4 job in the high school. If he is a full time teacher, it may surprise you how many hours he has on the plate. You might have stopped where you mentioned that you knew nothing about the guy. I will start watching the parking lots at 7 in the morning to check on the traffic near the coaches offices.
                          The big difference is recruiting, teaching and coaching is not an 8-4 job (I am one, I know), but I'm guessing he is making pretty decent money teaching and coaching at High School, and yes you do a lot, but you can shove some things to the side if you must, and your job is tied to you for the most part, not to an older head coach.

The difference is when you go to coaching, all of a sudden you are recruiting, watching film, traveling much more, and probably not for much more money. Now I don't know the guy, maybe he wants to be a college coach, then its worth it. But if its not really your goal, then well is it worth it?

Some coaches make the jump easy from HS to college, others really struggle. But its not as easy of call as many think it is.

Comment

Holy buckets! I did not realize a position coach for a historically average FBS team was making that much! Yeah, I doubt that he would come back to here for about a $90,000 salary reduction just to be a position coach. My gut tells me that he left here to boost his resume and learn from some different coaches, so that he can hopefully be in a better position to become the head coach at SDSU whenever that may open up. But at the same time, you can't wait around for that. What's a better job? Position coach in a power 5 conference (if he were to ever get there) or head coach at FCS level? You can make an argument for each, especially pay wise, however it comes down to your career goals and what you want to accomplish.
                            Brad Salem (former Augie HC) now the QBs coach at Michigan St. makes $312,000.

Comment

Fyi, looks like the company Coach Flynn is going is Merritt Hawkins...https://twitter.com/D_Walk74/status/692763969149218816

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                                Fyi, looks like the company Coach Flynn is going is Merritt Hawkins...https://twitter.com/D_Walk74/status/692763969149218816
                                I guess no law school. My bad on that one.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X