Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2 more coaches gone!

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Not positive...but I think it was a little less than Bohl...but I don't know...
    Because neilson at usd is making more then glenn was. I would guess there might be a slight chance with these positions opened there is a little increase in pay with it.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Zimmer's article in today's Argus indicated that 350 applicants are interested in the safeties position. They have not formally advertised for the other 2 positions. It seems to be a time for job changes in the coaching industry.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        Zimmer's article in today's Argus indicated that 350 applicants are interested in the safeties position. They have not formally advertised for the other 2 positions. It seems to be a time for job changes in the coaching industry.
        I know I'll get blasted for this, but I think they should seek Josh Bolluyt the head coach at Spirit Lake. The guy can flat out coach. Great defensive mind and ties throughout the state of Iowa. He built that program into a state power and it was a doormat before he arrived. I've listened to him speak at clinics and he has college defensive coordinator written all over him. A college position coach would be a great step for him to take. I'm not sure he's take the pay cut, but I know I'd find out. I know NDSU has a couple former Iowans on their staff and with UNI in a downward spiral it's a great time to come into Iowa. NDSU is beating down the doors. No sign in our school of SDSU, but NDSU was here at the beginning of the week. Spirit Lake, Rock Valley, Heelen, West Lyon, Central Lyon, and Sioux Center have talented Div. 1 athletes that come from well coached hs programs.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
          I know I'll get blasted for this, but I think they should seek Josh Bolluyt the head coach at Spirit Lake. The guy can flat out coach. Great defensive mind and ties throughout the state of Iowa. He built that program into a state power and it was a doormat before he arrived. I've listened to him speak at clinics and he has college defensive coordinator written all over him. A college position coach would be a great step for him to take. I'm not sure he's take the pay cut, but I know I'd find out. I know NDSU has a couple former Iowans on their staff and with UNI in a downward spiral it's a great time to come into Iowa. NDSU is beating down the doors. No sign in our school of SDSU, but NDSU was here at the beginning of the week. Spirit Lake, Rock Valley, Heelen, West Lyon, Central Lyon, and Sioux Center have talented Div. 1 athletes that come from well coached hs programs.
          I think a similar HS coach that would be a great hire is Hermanson from Sioux Falls (currently coaches at USF and SF Storm & former SDSU football player). I have no idea if he would even be interested. Like NW Iowa, Sioux Falls athletes get recruited by NDSU very hard. NDSU coaches were visitors to a SF school this past week.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            I think a similar HS coach that would be a great hire is Hermanson from Sioux Falls (currently coaches at USF and SF Storm & former SDSU football player). I have no idea if he would even be interested. Like NW Iowa, Sioux Falls athletes get recruited by NDSU very hard. NDSU coaches were visitors to a SF school this past week.
            Hermansen is close to the same age as Stig which is 58 or 59 years old, and according to the media guide he last lettered in 1980. Also this would be a huge pay cut and probably the same could be said about the Bolluyt from Spirit Lake who no doubt has gotten a raise every year he has been at Spirit Lake. Who knows both could be among the 350 applications that were received.

Comment

HS and college is an entirely different ballgame. I know nothing about this guy from Spirit Lake. Can he handle 80-100 hour work weeks? Does he have a family? Can he watch game film from 6am - 2pm, practice from 2-5 pm, have a quick meal with the family, review practice from film 6-7pm, call recruits from 7-9pm, prep for the next day from 9-10 pm? Then go home to the family just to restart it again? Can he travel for a week or two at a time in the offseason to recruit? And that doesn't even tap into does he know the X's and O's and the techniques of his position group?

It takes a special kind of man and a more than understanding family to get into the college coaching ranks. It's not for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                HS and college is an entirely different ballgame. I know nothing about this guy from Spirit Lake. Can he handle 80-100 hour work weeks? Does he have a family? Can he watch game film from 6am - 2pm, practice from 2-5 pm, have a quick meal with the family, review practice from film 6-7pm, call recruits from 7-9pm, prep for the next day from 9-10 pm? Then go home to the family just to restart it again? Can he travel for a week or two at a time in the offseason to recruit? And that doesn't even tap into does he know the X's and O's and the techniques of his position group?

It takes a special kind of man and a more than understanding family to get into the college coaching ranks. It's not for most people.
                You make it sound like he is on an 8-4 job in the high school. If he is a full time teacher, it may surprise you how many hours he has on the plate. You might have stopped where you mentioned that you knew nothing about the guy. I will start watching the parking lots at 7 in the morning to check on the traffic near the coaches offices.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  You make it sound like he is on an 8-4 job in the high school. If he is a full time teacher, it may surprise you how many hours he has on the plate. You might have stopped where you mentioned that you knew nothing about the guy. I will start watching the parking lots at 7 in the morning to check on the traffic near the coaches offices.
                  I know how busy HS coaches can be, I am one. It's just an entirely different animal going from HS to college. It takes a very special kind of commitment from the coach and the coaches family. My family border line supports me and the time commitments with HS coaching (coaching may come to a temporary end after child #2 in the future, whenever that may be), there is zero chance that I or my family could take what it takes to succeed at the college level.

Comment

I like the idea of building up SDSU's presence in Iowa. I don't know about this particular coach, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming Stig and his staff know most of the good coaches in the region. If not, they should get to know them.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      I like the idea of building up SDSU's presence in Iowa. I don't know about this particular coach, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming Stig and his staff know most of the good coaches in the region. If not, they should get to know them.
                      I agree. It is not a common career path, but there have been some high school coaches who have made excellent college coaches.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

UNI is in a downward spiral? Huh.....good to know

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          UNI is in a downward spiral? Huh.....good to know
                          I thought that too. If they are in a downward spiral what are we in?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            I thought that too. If they are in a downward spiral what are we in?
                            They won MVC Titles in 2001, 03, 05, 07, 08, 10, and 11. On a four year dry spell. 7 double digit wins from 2001-2010 and only 1 from 2011-2015. The seat is hot for Farley. My guess is this will be his last in Cedar Falls. Maybe not a downward spiral, but certainly not a program on the rise.

2012 5-6
                            2013 7-5
                            2014 9-5
                            2015 9-4

Comment

They won MVC Titles in 2001, 03, 05, 07, 08, 10, and 11. On a four year dry spell. 7 double digit wins from 2001-2010 and only 1 from 2011-2015. The seat is hot for Farley. My guess is this will be his last in Cedar Falls. Maybe not a downward spiral, but certainly not a program on the rise.

2012 5-6
                              2013 7-5
                              2014 9-5
                              2015 9-4

Wasn't there pressure not that long ago to cut the athletics programs at UNI from the State Gov't?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                Wasn't there pressure not that long ago to cut the athletics programs at UNI from the State Gov't?
                                Football survived, but baseball and wrestling did not. I don't think you'll ever see football on the chopping block. 13.1 Million for UNI and 93.6 for Iowa's 2015 athletic budget. I believe Iowa State was around 70 million. UNI has lost some ticket sales, but giving from the foundation is up to offset decrease in season ticket holders.

Comment

Working...
                                X