New DB Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New DB Coach

I probably nudged the thread toward political discussion...thought about banning myself but I think a moderator banning himself would do something to the space-time continuum and I'd come face-to-face with Marty McFly or something like that. Anyway...still think its a pretty good idea that people go out for a slice of their favorite pie.

Let's hope a Jacks fan wins Powerball.

Hey, on the subject of Powerball, this youtube clip is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvE84AGMWpE

I'm going for pie.

Comment

Good Answer on YouTube. Hookers and cocaine.

Comment

Scary thing is our best recruiter makes next to nothing. Not sure if his salary is supplemented by difference makers or not but if we're not careful he'll be gone. Funny thing is I could find everyone's salary except Eidsness. Pretty sure I got his name spelled right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Scary thing is our best recruiter makes next to nothing. Not sure if his salary is supplemented by difference makers or not but if we're not careful he'll be gone. Funny thing is I could find everyone's salary except Eidsness. Pretty sure I got his name spelled right.
          Search for : Last Name is Eidness, first name is C, middle initial is E

Comment

When a coach does not have his/her contract renewed, it is not required that they be told the reasons why they are not offered a new contract. That is a fact. I am absolutely confident that Coach Stig did not tell the now former assistant coach that a booster wanted his head. The father of the former coach may have said that (which we don't really know) but it doesn't make it so. Besides, we will never know the real story as personnel matters, rightly, are not made public.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Search for : Last Name is Eidness, first name is C, middle initial is E
              Thx!

Comment

I'm sure that there could be any number of reasons why an employee would be let go. I'm guessing most boosters don't personally know the position coaches, however. Regardless, I did notice a few missed assignments at times this year and maybe that was a factor.

I do believe that coaches used to make some decent money from camps in the past, not sure if that is happening anymore, though. I would like Bulldog to post the salaries of the UNI assistants. The ones I looked for were listed extremely low - 20k. I'm sure this isn't accurate in Iowa. I did find an assistant head coach at 75K, which I would guess is comparable to SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post
                  I'm sure that there could be any number of reasons why an employee would be let go. I'm guessing most boosters don't personally know the position coaches, however. Regardless, I did notice a few missed assignments at times this year and maybe that was a factor.

I do believe that coaches used to make some decent money from camps in the past, not sure if that is happening anymore, though. I would like Bulldog to post the salaries of the UNI assistants. The ones I looked for were listed extremely low - 20k. I'm sure this isn't accurate in Iowa. I did find an assistant head coach at 75K, which I would guess is comparable to SDSU.
                  I would not surprised to see small or modest salaries. If you want a well paid assistant job, point your car towards Lincoln, Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I would not surprised to see small or modest salaries. If you want a well paid assistant job, point your car towards Lincoln, Nebraska.
                    Univ of Iowa - $250,00-$550,000 for assistants
                    UNI - $45,000-$80,000 for assistants

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                      So I am not surprised, especially with the UNI range, not that much better than SDSU. How many assistants have moved on to UNI? Not that many if any at all. UI is no surprise and in my prior post I could have added Iowa City. Kris Klieman went from UNI to NDSU, but I think someone at NDSU was aware of his abilities to become a head coach and was most likely ear tagged as Bohl's replacement and no doubt was an incentive in making the move.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                        Just for the record...what we pay our coaches (heads and assistants) is what we pay them and what we can do with the budget we have. If you have some grand plan to provide more money Bulldog, then offer it up. Do we pay as much as in Iowa...no. Do we pay as much as in Minnesota...probably not. We have a pretty darn good record in athletic achievement at SDSU...and for that I thank the coaches who are at SDSU and provide for that success despite the fact that they might make more money elsewhere. I have seen nothing positive from you in regards to our coaches in your 85 posts since coming on the board, except to criticize the recruiting (or lack thereof according to you). I'm glad you make more money than our assistant coaches in your high school coaching position, so I assume you will not be applying for the opening here. I'm not sure why Coach Jay Christensen is no longer here, and I never will know because I don't believe it is any of my business. I do want you to know that your solutions to increasing our level of funding for our coaches will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          Just for the record...what we pay our coaches (heads and assistants) is what we pay them and what we can do with the budget we have. If you have some grand plan to provide more money Bulldog, then offer it up. Do we pay as much as in Iowa...no. Do we pay as much as in Minnesota...probably not. We have a pretty darn good record in athletic achievement at SDSU...and for that I thank the coaches who are at SDSU and provide for that success despite the fact that they might make more money elsewhere. I have seen nothing positive from you in regards to our coaches in your 85 posts since coming on the board, except to criticize the recruiting (or lack thereof according to you). I'm glad you make more money than our assistant coaches in your high school coaching position, so I assume you will not be applying for the opening here. I'm not sure why Coach Jay Christensen is no longer here, and I never will know because I don't believe it is any of my business. I do want you to know that your solutions to increasing our level of funding for our coaches will be appreciated.
                          He was asked by Reality to provide a response on how much those two universities pay their assistants and he did.....someone needs a chill pill.

Comment

I will make these general comments. Our assistants most likely make about four dollars an hour when add in all time during the season and in the off season. There are several 80 hour weeks in there they are required to watch game films and recruiting tapes. We expect a great deal from these individuals. Even if I had majored in HPER, I would not for second considered being an assistant coach.l
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              That's what you get for not having a state income tax and for electing leaders that do not support education. I'm a republican, but the choices that have been made, or aren't being made in SD are disgraceful.

We in Iowa have better roads and our public schools are exceptional. Yes, we Iowans are willing to pay a state income tax for those amenities.

I know that's a political post. Ban me if you want. In the meantime, we Iowans and other states will continue to recruit, pillage, and plunder your state's best educators.
                              This will not be a popular post. I'm not trying to make a political statement or argue right or wrong, just adding a bit of factual information.

The biggest difference between Iowa and SD education, to me, is that there are waaaaay too many schools in towns that cannot logically support a school. According to SDHSAA enrollment numbers, half the districts in South Dakota have graduating classes of less than 25. A quarter have graduating classes with less than 15 students! Nobody talks about this (although there are plenty willing to complain about too many football classes, weird), because that would mean fewer teachers would be needed. We certainly can't have that, better to raise the salary of a biology teacher in Leola who sees 50 students a day.

In 2011 the average starting teacher salary (22 year old just out of college) was $29,308 in South Dakota according to the NEA. Nebraska was $30,086, Iowa was $32,895, North Dakota was $31,065. I wouldn't move out of state as a new grad for that difference.

Now for more emotional arguments:

Increasing teacher salaries is going to be an extreme uphill battle when a good portion of the population asks itself, "why should my taxes go up to increase the salary of someone that already makes more than me and gets the equivalent of 4 months a year off?" In many SD communities, teachers make the most money, get the most time off, and have the best retirement.

It is also extremely hard for people to reconcile the education building boom that has been going on in the state for the last 20ish years with complaints about teacher pay. How many new gyms have gone up across this state in the last 20 years? How does that number compare to Iowa/Minnesota/North Dakota/Nebraska? How can Willow Lake (average class size: 15) take the second floor off their school, add on, and put a new roof on their now single story school to the tune of $3.5 million but not afford to pay teachers?
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I will make these general comments. Our assistants most likely make about four dollars an hour when add in all time during the season and in the off season. There are several 80 hour weeks in there they are required to watch game films and recruiting tapes. We expect a great deal from these individuals. Even if I had majored in HPER, I would not for second considered being an assistant coach.l
                                If coaching is in your blood,you do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X