New DB Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New DB Coach

So, I'll be the first to say I may be naive, but I don't buy this story one bit. How many of you honestly think SDSU has gotten to the level where a donor can dictate who is or isn't going to coach any of our teams. Also, how many donors could be at that level? Only a few.

IF, big IF, this story is true, then I've lost all respect for our head coach, a man of "integrity". Next move should be for Stig himself to step down for losing control of his program. Yep, strong words, but MY SDSU doesn't let donors dictate hiring decisions. If that's the case, after I win tonight's Powerball I'm "buying" some coaches.

Ridiculous. I refuse to believe it. We'll never know the true story unless Stig himself comes out and says as much. Coaching is a fickle profession. I've seen guys go that I never thought would leave, but then you hear how relationships really were and it makes sense. Public perception is one thing, reality of relationships is another. So...I'm hanging my little care of this matter on Stig wanting to make a change for whatever reason and chose not to renew a contract. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      So, I'll be the first to say I may be naive, but I don't buy this story one bit. How many of you honestly think SDSU has gotten to the level where a donor can dictate who is or isn't going to coach any of our teams. Also, how many donors could be at that level? Only a few.

IF, big IF, this story is true, then I've lost all respect for our head coach, a man of "integrity". Next move should be for Stig himself to step down for losing control of his program. Yep, strong words, but MY SDSU doesn't let donors dictate hiring decisions. If that's the case, after I win tonight's Powerball I'm "buying" some coaches.

Ridiculous. I refuse to believe it. We'll never know the true story unless Stig himself comes out and says as much. Coaching is a fickle profession. I've seen guys go that I never thought would leave, but then you hear how relationships really were and it makes sense. Public perception is one thing, reality of relationships is another. So...I'm hanging my little care of this matter on Stig wanting to make a change for whatever reason and chose not to renew a contract. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.
      Extremely good source tells me of another coaching change coming as well. Let the shakeup in Brookings begin!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

CatchEmAll's post sums up my initial reaction: The explanation offered for Christensen's termination reflects worse on Stig than on the donor. Donors can be expected to grumble loudly from time-to-time. Is anyone aware of any evidence that Stig would cave to pressure like that? All indications have been that Stig is a guy who sticks to his guns and stands squarely behind his people. This is an easy one for me: I give the benefit of the doubt to Stig in this case. If Stig cut the guy loose, it was supported by his good-faith belief that a change was necessary.

Added: How many times have people criticized Stig for being such a "boy scout" -- loyalty to players and coaches to a fault. I've talked to former players who love the guy while at the same time, they raise an eyebrow about some of his decisions. None question his integrity. The story offered in this thread questions Stig's integrity. Surely Stig deserves the benefit of the doubt until there is credible reason to believe otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Stig offer to resign before he'd allow a donor to push his weight around (even if the donor, from an objective point of view, was correct!).

I assume donors make their voices heard quite often and I don't have a problem with a coach considering all opinions. But it flies in the face of everything we know about the guy to say he canned a coach because of donor pressure. I come back to: If Stig cut a guy loose, the decision was supported by his good faith belief that change was necessary and he's the guy who makes those decisions. And in such cases, I would also expect Stig to not talk about it. He's not concerned about rumors.

This thread ought to fizzle out.

Comment

What makes the story even more bizarre is that out of all the position groups, the db's would be the most complaint free,imo.

Comment

A slice of pie would be good right now.

Comment

I'm guessing donor/booster may have said that changes need to occur. Maybe didn't specifically name certain coaches. That pressure could have been placed on Sell or Stig. Yes, it happens everywhere.

Comment

Our success at the D1 level (compared to our just above average reputation at the DII level) seems to be due to several factors, the greatest of which may be the addition of more assistants and the improved quality of assistants. The coaching staff will continue to evolve as we try to fight our way to the top. Coaches will come and go, some voluntarily, some not.

Comment

I know the Jacks coaches contracts are all one year terms - are they calendar year based or do they begin at a different time during the year ?

Comment

The issue is not the 1 year contracts. The issue is that we have college coaches making less than high school coaches. $35-40,000 is a ridiculous salary. I make $60,000 teaching/coaching at the hs level.

Comment

You nailed it. Assistant coaches leave for a better opportunity and this will not end. The salary they make doesn't support a family. Coaches make a decision to leave for $ and that might mean a career change.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        I know the Jacks coaches contracts are all one year terms - are they calendar year based or do they begin at a different time during the year ?
                        I think the rule is their contracts cannot be for a term longer than one year. When a coach is hired, he cannot be promised employment for a term longer than one year from his hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                          The issue is not the 1 year contracts. The issue is that we have college coaches making less than high school coaches. $35-40,000 is a ridiculous salary. I make $60,000 teaching/coaching at the hs level.
                          I think you're right, Bulldog, and I have to believe there's consensus on this point. The problem in South Dakota is getting people to do something about it. We're starting to see some discussion about teaching salaries in the world of K-12 teachers but it's taking an approaching crisis/shortage (some would say the crisis is here).

State employee salaries can be searched here: http://bfm.sd.gov/ledger/employee.asp

Coach Christensen's salary was $43,441.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Our success at the D1 level (compared to our just above average reputation at the DII level) seems to be due to several factors, the greatest of which may be the addition of more assistants and the improved quality of assistants. The coaching staff will continue to evolve as we try to fight our way to the top. Coaches will come and go, some voluntarily, some not.
                            Bingo you said a mouth full.

Comment

I think you're right, Bulldog, and I have to believe there's consensus on this point. The problem in South Dakota is getting people to do something about it. We're starting to see some discussion about teaching salaries in the world of K-12 teachers but it's taking an approaching crisis/shortage (some would say the crisis is here).

State employee salaries can be searched here: http://bfm.sd.gov/ledger/employee.asp

$43,000 is pretty disgraceful. SDSU needs to do better if they want to attract and keep the best.

Comment

That's what you get for not having a state income tax and for electing leaders that do not support education. I'm a republican, but the choices that have been made, or aren't being made in SD are disgraceful.

We in Iowa have better roads and our public schools are exceptional. Yes, we Iowans are willing to pay a state income tax for those amenities.

I know that's a political post. Ban me if you want. In the meantime, we Iowans and other states will continue to recruit, pillage, and plunder your state's best educators.

Comment

Working...
                                X