Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jackrabbit vs Montana FCS 1st round

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    15k dome, what happens in 10-15 years when we need to expand to 20-23k seats(wishful thinking I know) but there's nothing you can do with a dome. Our friends up north I'm sure would love to have the ability to up capacity to at least 25k. Bottom line, build a great team consistently and the fanbase will grow too. We need to figure out a way to draw people from the Sioux Falls area. Weather will have little impact(if the bison played outside they'd still sellout), in fact some of my favorite games have been foul weather games. Crowd is rowdy and engaged. Who knows, with any luck in 10 years they'll be adding an additional 5-6k seats at Dykhouse stadium.
    Weather 100% impacts attendance, and always will in Brookings, SD...I don't care how great of a team SDSU puts out there. Also, it isn't like the Bison have sold out the FargoDome since the beginning of time.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Weather 100% impacts attendance...I don't care how great of a team SDSU puts out there. Also, it isn't like the Bison have sold out the FargoDome since the beginning of time.
      There are things beyond weather that are affecting attendance. The #2 team in FCS come to town on Nov.7th with really good weather for that time of year and we draw 9,000 with maybe 500 students. And with the team fighting for a playoff seed. I know it's hunting season, and the team didn't play great in a couple of previous home games, but c'mon man. If it's automatic that attendance is going to tank after Hobo Day, all those extra seats may not have been necessary after all.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        There are things beyond weather that are affecting attendance. The #2 team in FCS come to town on Nov.7th with really good weather for that time of year and we draw 9,000 with maybe 500 students. And with the team fighting for a playoff seed. I know it's hunting season, and the team didn't play great in a couple of previous home games, but c'mon man. If it's automatic that attendance is going to tank after Hobo Day, all those extra seats may not have been necessary after all.
        I don't think you can underestimate the effect the NDSU and UNI games had on the attendance against ISU.

Think about it. A lot of fans that don't go to every game, you know those casual fans we've been trying to hook, were at those games. We played like absolute dog **** in both games. Why would a casual fan expect anything different against the #2 team in the country?

Comment

Weather 100% impacts attendance, and always will in Brookings, SD...I don't care how great of a team SDSU puts out there. Also, it isn't like the Bison have sold out the FargoDome since the beginning of time.
          I understand the bison aren't on a 50 year streak of sell outs. But if your product produces 4 championships and 10+ win seasons they'll absolutely sellout in a rain/snowstorm. That's what a consistent team and honestly being in a metro area of 150k+ population can do.

Comment

I completely agree, also with the increase in ticket price, and the showing of almost every home game on local TV, fans are more than happy to stay home and watch the game from the comfort of their homes. We need to move to a blackout structure, if you want to see the game and not come to it, you better not have been able to get a ticket, otherwise it won't be on TV (sort of kidding, but not really).

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              But if your product produces 4 championships and 10+ win seasons they'll absolutely sellout in a rain/snowstorm.
              I really don't know about this. If it's on TV and it's below freezing, against an opponent not named NDSU or USD, and not Hobo Day... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a sellout, even with a track record like the Bison the past 4 years.

I talk to many people that are casual SDSU fans that would love to go to a game, but they say "yeah, i want to, but it's going to be on TV, and it's going to be cold, I'll probably just watch it at home".

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I don't think you can underestimate the effect the NDSU and UNI games had on the attendance against ISU.

Think about it. A lot of fans that don't go to every game, you know those casual fans we've been trying to hook, were at those games. We played like absolute dog **** in both games. Why would a casual fan expect anything different against the #2 team in the country?
                I agree with you 100%. I also think we may over estimate the number of casual fans there are? If you don't have some ties to a team I'm not real sure there is a great deal of casual sports fans. Look at high school basketball or football back 20 years ago, you had to get there early to get a seat and now for the most part it is parents and a few die hards. Today there is just so much more going on where as before it was the only thing! But I think it is a proven fact people show up to watch winning programs.

Comment

Agreed. Our little group talked about that very thing while we watched the Bison debacle this season.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    I really don't know about this. If it's on TV and it's below freezing, against an opponent not named NDSU or USD, and not Hobo Day... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a sellout, even with a track record like the Bison the past 4 years.

I talk to many people that are casual SDSU fans that would love to go to a game, but they say "yeah, i want to, but it's going to be on TV, and it's going to be cold, I'll probably just watch it at home".
                    In the last 10 years we have had one home game where the temperature was below freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      In the last 10 years we have had one home game where the temperature was below freezing.
                      Many people reach their freezing point before water does.

Comment

In two minutes of searching, I found at least two (11/15/14 and 11/08/08), so your statement isn't true. Not to mention wind chill effect...
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

*Raises eye brow with skepticism* Do you mean only one game below 0 degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            *Raises eye brow with skepticism* Do you mean only one game below 0 degrees?
                            Probably so. I thought that might be what he meant.

There are other things that people want to/have to do in the fall. Harvest is one. And Opening Day is another. Football won't compete well with either, though it will to some extent.

Comment

I'd love it if we could schedule NDSU(Dakota marker game) in the same slot as we do the U for our home games. Final home game. Basically guaranteeing your final home game is a sellout. Somewhat regardless of weather, harvest should be close and opening pheasant would be weeks before.

doubt the Bison would agree on that though. They love the plush confines of the dome.

Comment

This 100%. I consider myself an avid fan of the football team, season ticket holder that misses birthday parties to attend all home games, and I was ready to throw in the towel after watching both of those performances. I would argue that simply losing both of those games didn't hurt, but the fashion in which we lost them was what hurt. The UNI game was not entertaining for anyone, even for those that enjoy watching low scoring defensive games. For those of you that watched College Gameday last Saturday...I was doing a lot of the "Surrender Cobra" at both the UNI and NDSU games this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X