Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance

It seems to me that there is a large lack of interest in college football across the state, and that very few students step onto campus as freshmen that are excited about college football in general, and the Jacks specifically. Part of a better culture is bound to stem from getting kids who are in high school following/excited about the jacks before they move in as freshmen. Not sure how to do that. Every jacks game being on basic cable throughout the state would definitely not hurt. There are many families out there that dont have the larger cable packages, and if they don't get Mido sports with their basic package, they may not be able to catch a jacks game on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
      I don't think it has anything to do with doors. The reality is that SDSU students have been going home on weekends for years. We have a lot of small town students, people from South Dakota and SW Minnesota. It isn't a new trend, it was around in the 90s just like today and my guess is back in the 80s. I never really understood it, I loved Brookings; stayed the summers and weekends and always had a blast. But a lot of people want to go home. Why? No idea.
      I disagree and hopefully soon will have statistical data. There is actually a study happening now about the level of attachment, involvement, and retention to the University of students in the old vs new dorms. Should be interesting results.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        It seems to me that there is a large lack of interest in college football across the state, and that very few students step onto campus as freshmen that are excited about college football in general, and the Jacks specifically. Part of a better culture is bound to stem from getting kids who are in high school following/excited about the jacks before they move in as freshmen. Not sure how to do that. Every jacks game being on basic cable throughout the state would definitely not hurt. There are many families out there that font have the larger cable packages, and if they don't get Mido sports with their basic package, they may not be able to catch a jacks game on tv.
        It will take time, but I think we will see a generation of kids that grew up with SDSU being very good in D1 sports that will attend SDSU and be more passionate about it compared to students in the past. Honestly, I Moving to D1 was huge in terms of getting people and especially kids interested in the sports teams, but it's all about sustained success. If we can do that, we will see attendance numbers grow on all fronts.

Comment

As a former season ticket holder from Sioux Falls who is now married with two young kids, it just isn't feasible to make it to every game. With an hour drive up and back plus a couple hours tailgating and a 3 hour game, it is a full day commitment to go to a game. As much as I'd love to be in Brookings every weekend during the fall, there are simply higher priorities in life for me at this time. I watched the entire game on TV, but don't have the luxury of spending 7 hours of my weekend traveling up to attend the game in person.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the casual fans for SDSU as well as students are from rural communities and many are farmers. Harvest is in full swing and that causes many kids to go home on weekends to help and also keeps those who are working in the fields from coming as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            It seems to me that there is a large lack of interest in college football across the state, and that very few students step onto campus as freshmen that are excited about college football in general, and the Jacks specifically. Part of a better culture is bound to stem from getting kids who are in high school following/excited about the jacks before they move in as freshmen. Not sure how to do that. Every jacks game being on basic cable throughout the state would definitely not hurt. There are many families out there that dont have the larger cable packages, and if they don't get Mido sports with their basic package, they may not be able to catch a jacks game on tv.
            I have talked about it for years how we as a state and fan base need to start building a culture of SDSU and college sports and in this case football.

Like how many small town kids playing football have that attachment to USD from trying to get to the Dome for championship games. I don't know how much that really benefits USD but it probably as some effect. There are too many fans who around here have no idea how good college football is in the state. But they will watch the MN Vikings every week. Even though they arent from the state, or ever been to a game, but probably just grew up with it being the closest thing to follow or family did for decades now. It starts with Fans and families to bring friends to a game, or invite over to watch on TV. Espically with kids. I dont know if my nieces care for it, but they get SDSU clothes and stuff SDSU all the time for gifts even though they live in Nebraska and my brother is a Neb fan and his wife is Ia state. Montana has a culture of growing up and supporting montana colleges. Many grow up with the mindset that thats the big time. They dont look at going out of state because they grew up in a montana football culture from a young age.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              As a former season ticket holder from Sioux Falls who is now married with two young kids, it just isn't feasible to make it to every game. With an hour drive up and back plus a couple hours tailgating and a 3 hour game, it is a full day commitment to go to a game. As much as I'd love to be in Brookings every weekend during the fall, there are simply higher priorities in life for me at this time. I watched the entire game on TV, but don't have the luxury of spending 7 hours of my weekend traveling up to attend the game in person.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the casual fans for SDSU as well as students are from rural communities and many are farmers. Harvest is in full swing and that causes many kids to go home on weekends to help and also keeps those who are working in the fields from coming as well.
              same thing here. We have 2 young kids, live in SF and my parents would go to games with us but are retired now. We had season tickets for years but 5, then 6 season tickets is a bit much with the donation money added to each seat. paying for day care and everything else kids takes up a lot of free money we had before. I know well enough in advance what games i want to go too and with a big new stadium season tickets just are the draw they were before. I still made 4 games this year(thanks to Mitchellrabbit for hooking me up with tickets one game), but figured we saved many hundreds just buying individual tickets and not 6 season tickets anymore. plus i watch the 2 on TV i missed. I do worry the price of the new stadium might make some choose 1 or 2 games then 3 or 4 they might have previous years. Especially for new grads and those with young families.

As long as they do either family ticket packages or discounts on some games that will help get some of those fans to games a little easier.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I have talked about it for years how we as a state and fan base need to start building a culture of SDSU and college sports and in this case football.

Like how many small town kids playing football have that attachment to USD from trying to get to the Dome for championship games. I don't know how much that really benefits USD but it probably as some effect. There are too many fans who around here have no idea how good college football is in the state. But they will watch the MN Vikings every week. Even though they arent from the state, or ever been to a game, but probably just grew up with it being the closest thing to follow or family did for decades now. It starts with Fans and families to bring friends to a game, or invite over to watch on TV. Espically with kids. I dont know if my nieces care for it, but they get SDSU clothes and stuff SDSU all the time for gifts even though they live in Nebraska and my brother is a Neb fan and his wife is Ia state. Montana has a culture of growing up and supporting montana colleges. Many grow up with the mindset that thats the big time. They dont look at going out of state because they grew up in a montana football culture from a young age.
                I agree completely. Montana and MSU have a state wide following. Most SDSU students couldn't tell you the first thing about FCS football, or what the implications of Saturdays win are for the program. They go to games because of the opponent, or if it's Hobo Day, or if it's the first game. They enjoy the tailgating and atmosphere, but the implications of the game are lost on the majority of them. Winning cures all, but when your school is ranked in the top 10, going into a playoff implication showdown with the number 2 team in the country, on a gorgeous November day, in the last game of a 54 year old stadium, and only 9000 people show up to the state's largest university's and best college football team: Something is wrong. South Dakota is a rural state, where FCS football is the top dog. This is the same case as Montana, Delaware (not rural), North Dakota, Maine, etc. Relative to the rest of the FCS, SDSU has a good following. Relative to our neighbors to the west and North (sans UND), South Dakota is nowhere close to its potential in FCS fandom.

Comment

I've been saying this for years...SDSU needs to start counting "tickets sold" like every other D-1 school In the nation. Do you really think Nebraska could brag that they'be "sold out" or had 300-whatever "full houses" if they counted "butts in seats?
                  IMO it's time, especially with the new Stadium to count "Tickets Sold". Like it or not...perception is reality. This goes for Frost also.
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

There are some legit reasons there, but harvest should not be one. On the 100 mile drive from here to Brookings on Saturday there were a total of 3 or 4 corn fields that had not been combined along the Interstate and there was little to no tillage being done. That's not to say other parts of the area might be different, but harvest is virtually wrapped up in SW MN and SE SD.

Comment

Just to enlarge on an early comment about whether people were "stealing" Coughlin seats...there were numerous places that told fans to take the seats when they left if they wanted them as souvenirs. One even noted you would need a wrench to get them off the bleachers. I took my two. Saves somebody a ton of work to get them off, with no place to put them. Good move by the administration as a lot of them were removed.

Comment

Yes taking of the chair backs was encouraged. SDSU did not own them hence they couldn't auction them off. The leasing firm of course had no use for them. All legit, saved time on deconstruction too.

Comment

Working...
                        X