Illinois St: GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illinois St: GDT

In the playoff scheme, this might not be the most impressive win of the season so far It'll be seen as "Any Given Saturday" in the MVFC.

Beating Southern Utah to a pulp might be bigger.

Why?

After today:
    Big Sky Conference Standings
    Southern Utah 6-0 7-2
    Eastern Washington 5-1 6-3
    Portland State 4-2 7-2
    Northern Arizona 4-2 6-3
    Montana 4-2 5-4
    Weber State 4-3 5-5
    North Dakota 3-3 5-4
    Northern Colorado 3-4 5-4
    Montana State 2-4 4-5
    Cal Poly 2-4 3-6
    Idaho State
    1-5 2-7
    Sacramento State1-5 2-7
    UC Davis 1-5 1-8

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

Finally, and I know I should probably have skipped making this post, CAS was as loud and sustained as I have heard it this year. I don't care what the TV sounded like, or what the announcers said, I was there. And if somebody else who was there want to post they thought it was quiet...do it, but if you weren't there, how about listening to those who were there....
      i'm just getting around to checking this thread and I think the above needs to be repeated for emphasis. There was one poster in particular who, early in this thread, was posting about the terrible crowd etc. I was there and can only conclude that the particular poster was just trolling, trying to get a reaction.. CAS rocked today and the atmosphere was a perfect send off for the old stadium and a challenge for next year to start at least as loud and raucous. One of the best fan experiences I've had in CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        i'm just getting around to checking this thread and I think the above needs to be repeated for emphasis. There was one poster in particular who, early in this thread, was posting about the terrible crowd etc. I was there and can only conclude that the particular poster was just trolling, trying to get a reaction.. CAS rocked today and the atmosphere was a perfect send off for the old stadium and a challenge for next year to start at least as loud and raucous. One of the best fan experiences I've had in CAS.
        Amen to that. I`m nursing a sore throat and about 50% speaking capability tonight. It was a blast!
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Plenty of praise and room for improvement. Great game and a great win. If they want to say it was the refs that gave us the game fine. Once they watch game film I think they'll see the refs missed about 3 offensive holds that the Redbirds had, the most egregious missed call(Lally's strip could be but I can understand the whistle there) the PI on Goedert in the 1st half.

Someone please correct me if I'm misremembering. I think the goal line stop of Coprich was one of the biggest plays of the game. The false start came after that, then an incomplete pass to the end zone. Big Soulek blocks the FG. Coprich was a 1/2 yd short. That D despite the yards given up played lights out.

Wesley has seemed to have a switch go off since that long kickoff return. Not sure if he was always on kick coverage but he has been excellent there. Returns aren't always wise but his effort to make a spark is commendable. The big improvement is catching the ball with his hands not his body. Nice!

Stands and fans were rocking, can't wait to hear feet pounding on the other side too. As much as I want the cowbell back I think that'll be a huge distraction for opposing offenses. The disappointment I have was the large defection of students after halftime. I hope that culture changes. I believe they can have a large impact from that end in terms of noise. Especially if a team is going in to that end zone.

A couple guys near us on the east side really gave Coprich a lot of crap. He seemed to walk away in the early part of the game but later on he even laughed at a few comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            . That D despite the yards given up played.
            I'll have to go watch the game replay to be sure but I think the big yards came mainly on a couple qb runs. We need to be rotating the D Ends same as we do the interior D Line. I know Plote is a great player but he can't play an entire game without rotating out and still perform at a high level. I'm not sure if they left him in bc of senior night/ last home game or if Coach Brown just isn't paying attention to the D End rotation since he is the Co-ordinator and position coach as well. We would get a lot better pass rush as well with these guys fresh (even thinking back to last year Sherlock and Plote stayed in most of the games with Kern and Schultz getting occasional snaps, I guess maybe that's why Schultz switched sides).

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
              I'll have to go watch the game replay to be sure but I think the big yards came mainly on a couple qb runs. We need to be rotating the D Ends same as we do the interior D Line. I know Plote is a great player but he can't play an entire game without rotating out and still perform at a high level. I'm not sure if they left him in bc of senior night/ last home game or if Coach Brown just isn't paying attention to the D End rotation since he is the Co-ordinator and position coach as well. We would get a lot better pass rush as well with these guys fresh (even thinking back to last year Sherlock and Plote stayed in most of the games with Kern and Schultz getting occasional snaps, I guess maybe that's why Schultz switched sides).
              I agree, with the exception of 5-6 long plays didn't give up many yards. The same could almost be said of us.

I was was thinking the same on DE rotation. Is Kern injured? Didn't see him in there. Plote did well but you need breathers. I think I saw when he was gassed he took the outside up the field approach, leaving a lane for Roberson. There were a couple 10-15 yd gains there. I love the DT rotation and the middle is a no run zone against those guys. Also both lines seemed to be firing off the ball, definitely love that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                I agree, with the exception of 5-6 long plays didn't give up many yards. The same could almost be said of us.

I was was thinking the same on DE rotation. Is Kern injured? Didn't see him in there. Plote did well but you need breathers. I think I saw when he was gassed he took the outside up the field approach, leaving a lane for Roberson. There were a couple 10-15 yd gains there. I love the DT rotation and the middle is a no run zone against those guys. Also both lines seemed to be firing off the ball, definitely love that.
                Kern was out on kickoffs and didn't appear injured. This was something I have been watching for a few weeks now. I really noticed it against UNI, but last week Kern was rotating in again and made some plays. The reason I think they sub themselves is I see them tapping their helmets. Having played the position, I'm sure as a senior you never want to come out (especially as a captain) but that's where the coaches have to step in. Maybe the interior line coach should handle the sub packages for whole d line.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Considering that they had less than 8,000 at their last MVFC home game, this is precious stuff...
                  Good point the Bum Program said 7496 attended ISU-B game in Normal. I don't know what they are talking about either.

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
                    Kern was out on kickoffs and didn't appear injured. This was something I have been watching for a few weeks now. I really noticed it against UNI, but last week Kern was rotating in again and made some plays. The reason I think they sub themselves is I see them tapping their helmets. Having played the position, I'm sure as a senior you never want to come out (especially as a captain) but that's where the coaches have to step in. Maybe the interior line coach should handle the sub packages for whole d line.
                    Wow great insight, thx! If this is the case then I agree sub's should be handled by a coach(or Jimmy Johns, personal preference). When the line is rotating and fresh they seem to get the best pressure. Nothing wrong with going out. I understand the SR year, captain analogy but one of the things a captain should be mindful of is what's best for the team. As a competitor on the field it's difficult to see or realize that. The mindset of "one more play", "I'll get the sack this time and we'll be off the field" kicks in. The coaches hopefully recognize this. They are pretty smart for all the 2nd guessing we do of them. Heck the team is 7-2 with a chance at 9-2. Who'd have thought that they'd be in that position before the season started?

......I'm guessing the team didn't even think that. With the mantra of 1-0, they'd be expecting 9-0. This team is very impressive. Top to bottom the number of upperclassman stepping out(Andrews), guys playing well with reduced time(Hassell on spec. teams, Lujan) and true freshman playing lights out(of course Christion, but include Whitsell, Taylor and Hale), heck any of them playing as true freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      In the playoff scheme, this might not be the most impressive win of the season so far It'll be seen as "Any Given Saturday" in the MVFC.

Beating Southern Utah to a pulp might be bigger.

Why?

After today:
                      Big Sky Conference Standings
                      Southern Utah 6-0 7-2
                      Eastern Washington 5-1 6-3
                      Portland State 4-2 7-2
                      Northern Arizona 4-2 6-3
                      Montana 4-2 5-4
                      Weber State 4-3 5-5
                      North Dakota 3-3 5-4
                      Northern Colorado 3-4 5-4
                      Montana State 2-4 4-5
                      Cal Poly 2-4 3-6
                      Idaho State
                      1-5 2-7
                      Sacramento State1-5 2-7
                      UC Davis 1-5 1-8
                      I don't know about that... Look at who Southern Utah is playing. They haven't even had to play the top of their own conference (EWU, PSU, NAU, Montana). ISUr doing what they have done so far in the MVFC is much more impressive, and I believe that ISUr will rank almost as high as our FBS win. Beating Southern Utah is a nice win, but I see it as our third most impressive (which is impressive ).

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
                        Wow, just wow. Pathetic is a good word. And the crowd, you could hear a pin drop in there. Watched the USF vs Minnesota State game and it was loud as can be. Wake up, and show up fans.
                        Hello.

I would like to start by saying I don't have a problem with you. But I do take exeption to this post. I claim that you were incorrect.
                        And like any good science I'll back my claim up with proof.

https://youtu.be/H75eDVZZy-4

Feel free to Forward the video to the 4:30 mark for some of the noise heard.

That is all.

Comment

What a great, great win. Biggest win at CAS since 2007? Except maybe the playoff win.

The complete suffocation of Coprich being the biggest thing that impressed me. He had 175 last year and ate us alive. 22 carries for 55 yards is just awesome. The individual performance on D that was most impressive was mentioned before, but it was Butler. Warrum worked over Forsythe, but JeRyan held his own and then some. Not mentioned in Butler's performance was he knocked out a TD to Warrum after TC's first pick. That would have made it 14-0. They may have had 465 yards, but 20 points against that offense...I'll take it every day.

The best decision the coaches made all day was keeping TC in there. The drive at the end of the first half was flat out icewater in his veins. Obviously Lujan finished it off and yes, Taryn probably doesn't make that throw, but the 30 yards rushing he had, 3rd down conversion and the roll out throw to Goedert got them to that position. The first pick was not his fault, a little high, but Cam should catch that. And the second was as good as a 35 yard punt into the wind, it was on 3rd and long. Lujan's pick was an inexcusable throw. And yes, our favorite whipping boy Trevor Wesley easily had his best game of the year. It's too bad the offense took a quarter and a half to get going. They moved the ball some early, but stalled over and over. And they ran the ball adequately. Not great, but adequate.

The players flat out won that game in spite of their head coach's ridiculous in-game decisions over and over. It's good he led Eidsness make the QB decision, or he probably would have cost us that game.

Last observation, Brock Spack is a jackass. I figured that after he keeps a person like Coprich on the team. I guess 2500 yards and a top 5 ranking makes some people close their eyes to certain things. But after yesterday, it was confirmed. These were obviously not the refs from the UNI game. Walking out to what seemed to be nearly midfield several times and laying into the refs. Way to go coach. The Greg Kampe of the Valley. Though I always kind of liked Kampe.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                            What a great, great win. Biggest win at CAS since 2007? Except maybe the playoff win.

The complete suffocation of Coprich being the biggest thing that impressed me. He had 175 last year and ate us alive. 22 carries for 55 yards is just awesome. The individual performance on D that was most impressive was mentioned before, but it was Butler. Warrum worked over Forsythe, but JeRyan held his own and then some. Not mentioned in Butler's performance was he knocked out a TD to Warrum after TC's first pick. That would have made it 14-0. They may have had 465 yards, but 20 points against that offense...I'll take it every day.

The best decision the coaches made all day was keeping TC in there. The drive at the end of the first half was flat out icewater in his veins. Obviously Lujan finished it off and yes, Taryn probably doesn't make that throw, but the 30 yards rushing he had, 3rd down conversion and the roll out throw to Goedert got them to that position. The first pick was not his fault, a little high, but Cam should catch that. And the second was as good as a 35 yard punt into the wind, it was on 3rd and long. Lujan's pick was an inexcusable throw. And yes, our favorite whipping boy Trevor Wesley easily had his best game of the year. It's too bad the offense took a quarter and a half to get going. They moved the ball some early, but stalled over and over. And they ran the ball adequately. Not great, but adequate.

The players flat out won that game in spite of their head coach's ridiculous in-game decisions over and over. It's good he led Eidsness make the QB decision, or he probably would have cost us that game.

Last observation, Brock Spack is a jackass. I figured that after he keeps a person like Coprich on the team. I guess 2500 yards and a top 5 ranking makes some people close their eyes to certain things. But after yesterday, it was confirmed. These were obviously not the refs from the UNI game. Walking out to what seemed to be nearly midfield several times and laying into the refs. Way to go coach. The Greg Kampe of the Valley. Though I always kind of liked Kampe.
                            Notice on Coprich's bio he was a member of the honor roll. That little tidbit may have saved his career.

http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.asp...&path=football

BTW Sproch had nice things to say about SDSU last year despite our blow out.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              Hello.

I would like to start by saying I don't have a problem with you. But I do take exeption to this post. I claim that you were incorrect.
                              And like any good science I'll back my claim up with proof.

https://youtu.be/H75eDVZZy-4

Feel free to Forward the video to the 4:30 mark for some of the noise heard.

That is all.
                              During that ISU drive that ended with the goal line stand and blocked field goal, I thought the crowd was louder than it was any time on Hobo Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Notice on Coprich's bio he was a member of the honor roll. That little tidbit may have saved his career.

http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.asp...&path=football

BTW Sproch had nice things to say about SDSU last year despite our blow out.
                                Easy to say nice things when you are on right side of a blowout. Yesterday he showed his true colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X