Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Coughlin Alumni Stadium

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Can't help but wonder if ISUb and ISUr attendance was hurt by NDSU and UNI games...the casual distant fan might've said heck with that noise.
    I think that's a fair statement. The crowd at the NDSU game was all jazzed up in the beginning but the team didn't show up.I could understand a casual or first time fan not returning after that crapfest. Unless you like punting, the UNI game was pretty boring until about the last quarter and a half,imo.Of course the the brutal ending was a killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      How do you do that? Although student turnout was not good, the season ticket holders had just as sad of putting their butts in the seats. So it's not necessarily a student problem. The Barnyard Cadets program was launched this year and it appears to be working with The Game Day March to the stadium, but there may be more and better ideas to make this work. I been to games with less than a 100 students showing up, so I feel yesterday was a good turnout considering...
      I guess i couldnt tell how many of the season ticket holder seats were empty. Most in my area was filled except for a couple but i dont know what it was like farther south.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        I guess i couldnt tell how many of the season ticket holder seats were emp
        ty. Most in my area was filled except for a couple but i dont know what it was like farther south.
        A great deal of people were not sitting in their reserve seats on the east side. I don't know if its a case of not selling the tickets or if they are season ticket seats and the folks did not take the time to come to the game. Where I was sitting Section F and looking a cross to the east, I saw a lot of blue and most of the ISU red fans move more towards the 50 yard line and no one seem to object. It a Season Ticket and a student problem. Something for the staff to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          I think that's a fair statement. The crowd at the NDSU game was all jazzed up in the beginning but the team didn't show up.I could understand a casual or first time fan not returning after that crapfest. Unless you like punting, the UNI game was pretty boring until about the last quarter and a half,imo.Of course the the brutal ending was a killer.
          I would think this had an affect also. Those two games attract a lot of (very) casual fans. Many of them are probably clueless about the teams overall record, place in standings and little interest in FCS football overall. All they know is what they see on the field that day. I know a dozen or more like this that always attend the NDSU/Usd/Hobo Day games. You are not going to hook them with what they saw against NDSU/UNI.

Comment

A great deal of people were not sitting in their reserve seats on the east side. I don't know if its a case of not selling the tickets or if they are season ticket seats and the folks did not take the time to come to the game. Where I was sitting Section F and looking a cross to the east, I saw a lot of blue and most of the ISU red fans move more towards the 50 yard line and no one seem to object. It a Season Ticket and a student problem. Something for the staff to worry about.
            I disagree. Its the casual, non season ticket holder fan we need to get to the games. I missed the first 2 home games but gave my tickets to someone to use. I would hope other season ticket holders would do the same, either give them away or sell them to someone.

Comment

I disagree. Its the casual, non season ticket holder fan we need to get to the games. I missed the first 2 home games but gave my tickets to someone to use. I would hope other season ticket holders would do the same, either give them away or sell them to someone.
              What do you disagree about? I did not miss any games this year so nothing for me to give away, but in the past I have done exactly that. You did not answer my question about "How do we do that?" meaning how do we get more students in the stand. I think the admin did a good thing in endorsing the Barnyard Cadets. I sure there are thousands of students who don't take time to realize that they paid for their admission when they paid their student fees, but are not getting their money's worth when they don't show up for the game. I guess being in Mitchell you may see things differently. Yes the casual fan is important, but how do you target them and get them to the game? Sounds like a staff problem and what the hell are getting from Learfield sports other than a bill every month?

Comment

What do you disagree about? I did not miss any games this year so nothing for me to give away, but in the past I have done exactly that. You did not answer my question about "How do we do that?" meaning how do we get more students in the stand. I think the admin did a good thing in endorsing the Barnyard Cadets. I sure there are thousands of students who don't take time to realize that they paid for their admission when they paid their student fees, but are not getting their money's worth when they don't show up for the game. I guess being in Mitchell you may see things differently. Yes the casual fan is important, but how do you target them and get them to the game? Sounds like a staff problem and what the hell are getting from Learfield sports other than a bill every month?
                I dont know what the barnyard cadets are/were. Sure, we need more season ticket holders but if you cant get the current student to come to the games will they be future season ticket holders? Probably not.

Comment

I dont know what the barnyard cadets are/were. Sure, we need more season ticket holders but if you cant get the current student to come to the games will they be future season ticket holders? Probably not.
                  Apparently you don't watch the video board during the game. The Barn Cadets are mentioned on there and already said that they are a group of students who organize the Game Day walk. Are you putting me on? I beginning to feel that way.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 11-08-2015, 07:06 PM. Reason: B

Comment

Was anyone able to grab a chair back? Saw people walking out after the game with them. Most people only had one or two, but some had a half dozen. Just thought it was odd and wondering if it was condoned or if those guys were "stealing" them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                      Was anyone able to grab a chair back? Saw people walking out after the game with them. Most people only had one or two, but some had a half dozen. Just thought it was odd and wondering if it was condoned or if those guys were "stealing" them.

A ranking person from the SDSU Foundation told us to help our selves after the game but was told to take only the top part of the seat. Like you said some people became very greedy, like these would sell on Ebay or some where. I did take the top part of my seat.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post

Looking at this photo most of the chair backs were taken.
                        https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTQE-2_UYAIWzB_.jpg:large

Comment

With regards to student attendance, I would like to add 2 points:

Student attendance at the lower attended games this year has definitely not been great. However, keep in mind that the new student section holds 1400 more students in it (3600 vs 2200). These smaller student crowds would not look as small and empty if the students were still in section A and B. It's the unfortunate reality of the larger student section. Some of these weak student crowds seem much weaker than they actually are, due to the larger empty space. I will also add that two games this year set student attendance records (SUU and NDSU). Keep that in mind.

Secondly, the problem is students choosing to leave Brookings on the weekend. There are very few students that spend Saturdays in the fall shut up in the dorm room or doing something else in town. Most kids that stay in town go to the game. Too many students go home. How you stop that, I have no idea. It is a culture problem, and it needs to be fixed. The Barnyard Cadets are a student group that are trying to reincorporate traditions and engage more students in all aspects of SDSU, including (but not limited to) athletics and the student section. Things like the Game Day Walk, the State Shout Pep Rally, the 2000+ cowbells given to freshmen at the beginning of the year, etc. are all trying to create that culture. Ultimately, no one but the student can decide if they want to stay on campus for a home game, or run home. Many students choose the latter, especially on long weekends or against opponents they have no concept of.

Comment

I was CAS's debut game as a HS senior. King Block's Arkansas State (now politically incorrect) Indians--name's since changed but now FBS.

After one good year (1963),the wheels came off for Ralph Ginn. Couldn't adjust to having players that didn't go both ways, and my sophomore through senior years had awful teams. Still good memories of that stadium. Haven't been there since 1966, but will do my best to make it next year.

Comment

Aside from the memories of games, all of which are from the last 12 or so years, after I moved back to Brookings, some of my favorite memories of CAS don't even revolve around the game being played.

Rather, some of my fondest memories of CAS are from when I was a kid (late 80's early 90's) and all my friends would get together and play our own games of football, kill the carrier, 500, whatever, on the old practice field, now parking lot while the Jacks played.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                Aside from the memories of games, all of which are from the last 12 or so years, after I moved back to Brookings, some of my favorite memories of CAS don't even revolve around the game being played.

Rather, some of my fondest memories of CAS are from when I was a kid (late 80's early 90's) and all my friends would get together and play our own games of football, kill the carrier, 500, whatever, on the old practice field, now parking lot while the Jacks played.
                                That is one thing that I think I will miss. Not so much for me but my son. He is 4 and loves to go at halftime to the north side of the stadium where handful of kids play catch and 500 etc. Our daughter is just turning 2 this month so this year was her first year of getting to do that too. Playing catch with me which I will miss the chance to continue that assuming there really won't be a grassy area in the stadium or room to throw with the kids. CAS was always super family and kid friendly. I worry that djds will lose some of that charm that cas had in that regard. Maybe it will be fine but it will be missed for sure.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X