Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I believe there had to be actual physical contact to draw a 15 yard penalty. If you just go out of the coaches box (like the UNI coach did) you get a warning the first time and a 5 yard penalty after that.
    Stig said in his radio post game show that the one penalty was his fault as he ran into the ref. I seen a yellow hankie go flying but no ref. It was like some one in the crowd had threw it but apparently I just did not see the ref who did the throw. I beginning to think we got too many people involved and the game should be on the field decided by the 22 eligible players. I agree about UNI coach being out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      Seems to me from listening on the radio that TC overthrew Wieneke several times, was it more because of the Wizards hammy or TC?
      Probably a little of both. Wieneke definitely is hampered, but probably TC's biggest weakness as a thrower right now is putting enough touch on certain passes. This is pretty common though with young QBs who have good arms, and I'm sure Taryn will figure it out with more experience.

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      The other thing was we stumbled/slipped it sounded like on several of the short gainers that the WR makes a bigger play we tend to use often. So I definitely think the slick field didn't do us any favors.
      The field was very poor and it certainly wasn't an advantage for us in the game. Our play makers didn't seem to negotiate the conditions very well and there were many yards left on the field yesterday because of this. Turf can't come soon enough.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Did anyone go to the Hobo Day Dance? Oh that's right!! This event was discontinued many years back. Just trying to brighten a few spirits here on the board. We had our chances. Our QB often was forced to make quick plays since our OL could not dominate the LOS. I think Coach made the right call to go for it on 4th down. Who knows we might have missed the field goal or lost in overtime. There is still a lot of football left.
        There is a lot of football left where we could win out or lose 3 of 4. After yesterday, i would bet on losing 3 of 4.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of game that defines this program under Coach Stig. Some success but repeated disappointing effort and performance in the biggest games. The indecisiveness regarding starters, play calling and penalties all topped off by poor decision making at the end of the game.

Its on the coaches. From recruiting to pre-game prep, to in game execution.

I don't like our chances to do much more than make the playoffs and I want more than that. Extremely disappointed in the performance yesterday and as you can tell I've decided whose at fault.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            This is exactly the kind of game that defines this program under Coach Stig. Some success but repeated disappointing effort and performance in the biggest games. The indecisiveness regarding starters, play calling and penalties all topped off by poor decision making at the end of the game.

Its on the coaches. From recruiting to pre-game prep, to in game execution.

I don't like our chances to do much more than make the playoffs and I want more than that. Extremely disappointed in the performance yesterday and as you can tell I've decided whose at fault.
            If Stig were to read your post, I tend to believe he would agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              There is a lot of football left where we could win out or lose 3 of 4. After yesterday, i would bet on losing 3 of 4.
              You might lose some money. A certain team that wears red, and I don't mean USD, will be ripe for an upset on Nov 7.

Comment

Depth on an undersized O-line seems to be the team's biggest shortcoming. That's not a quick fix. The coaches have got to work around that somehow.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Probably a little of both. Wieneke definitely is hampered, but probably TC's biggest weakness as a thrower right now is putting enough touch on certain passes. This is pretty common though with young QBs who have good arms, and I'm sure Taryn will figure it out with more experience.

The field was very poor and it certainly wasn't an advantage for us in the game. Our play makers didn't seem to negotiate the conditions very well and there were many yards left on the field yesterday because of this. Turf can't come soon enough.
                  Maybe practice on turf,play on grass negates any advantage we've had in the past.

Comment

Unlike NDSU,this game we coulda, shoulda,won....that makes it more frustrating that we lost it The QB from UNI played like we wanted TC to play....similar strengths shared.TC's only a freshman,we'll see that kind of play from him I'm sure as he develops.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-25-2015, 10:55 AM. Reason: spell chk

Comment

We may have a long way to go to catch up to our rivals in terms of crowd size and tailgating, but you have to admit we are closing ground quickly in the fan forum meltdown department.

Comment

Good point, SE. We're playoff caliber in going off the rails in fan commentary after a loss.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Today I attended the funeral of Charleen Forsyth. She was the wife of Harry Forsyth, the former SDSU Athletic Director (1980-1990). Charleen was a great lady, loved the Jackrabbits and was upbeat to the core. Stig was there. For me, that was another sign why I like the guy. Life is bigger than a football game.

Am I unhappy about what happened yesterday? Yup. But, the fact that he was there reinforced in me, again, why I'm glad he is the head coach of the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits.

After a tough loss I lash out, like a lot of upset fans. Then, given time and perspective, I realize that a lot of athletic programs throughout America would love to have a guy like Stig as the head coach. He teaches more than football. Stig teaches young boys to be men and not one person on this board will ever have to make excuses why our head coach skirts the rules or brings in athletes of great skill but of questionable character.

And, in the end, he is a very successful football coach, and, he's a bigger man than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
                            Today I attended the funeral of Charleen Forsyth. She was the wife of Harry Forsyth, the former SDSU Athletic Director (1980-1990). Charleen was a great lady, loved the Jackrabbits and was upbeat to the core. Stig was there. For me, that was another sign why I like the guy. Life is bigger than a football game.

Am I unhappy about what happened yesterday? Yup. But, the fact that he was there reinforced in me, again, why I'm glad he is the head coach of the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits.

After a tough loss I lash out, like a lot of upset fans. Then, given time and perspective, I realize that a lot of athletic programs throughout America would love to have a guy like Stig as the head coach. He teaches more than football. Stig teaches young boys to be men and not one person on this board will ever have to make excuses why our head coach skirts the rules or brings in athletes of great skill but of questionable character.

And, in the end, he is a very successful football coach, and, he's a bigger man than I am.
                            An excellent post, I believe Harry was the AD when Stig got his start as a student coach. I been thinking of the Forsyth's all week thinking this was sad time to lose a spouse and mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post

^THIS^ times a thousand!!!!!!

We can be unhappy about failed split second decisions and second guess all day. Stig is a man of character with few equals. He recruits, coaches, teaches and develops young men of character and the program is the epitome of scholar athletes. We are very fortunate and blessed as a fanbase.

Comment

Some quick thoughts on Saturday...

1) We have a pretty stout defense that will give a lot of teams fits the rest of the season.
                                2) Christon is going to be a really special quarterback. I started to see a lot of good thing from him passing-wise. We just need to be able to shore up our line.
                                3) Stig making the call to go for it it on 4th and 1? I was one of those people in the stands saying go for it... Of course hindsight is 20/20.
                                4) It was a fantastic weekend... over 100 of us gathered this weekend for the Pride of the Dakotas Alumni reunion weekend. When I was playing on the 35 yard line during pre-game, I said to my self, "Self, you better enjoy this experience. You never know what will happen five years from now." (our next reunion). Pretty special weekend.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X