Giving the D its due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Giving the D its due

Definitely a top tier defense. Possibly better than the 2009 defense. Amazing they are doing it without a standout, NFL type player. It is a total team effort and really fun to watch

Comment

And it's done it the last two games without Nick Mears. You can only imagine how good the defense could have been if Elmore and Trey Carr would still have been around.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        And it's done it the last two games without Nick Mears. You can only imagine how good the defense could have been if Elmore and Trey Carr would still have been around.
        I'm over Trey Carr. Shaq and Brown will be just fine. I think Shaq is the steal of the class.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          I'm over Trey Carr. Shaq and Brown will be just fine. I think Shaq is the steal of the class.
          Agreed that Shak and Jordan will be good but you can never have enough good DB's trey was a loss. I especially like Shak and Browns ranginess(if that's a word), taller longer arms. Will help a lot in jump ball scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
            Definitely a top tier defense. Possibly better than the 2009 defense. Amazing they are doing it without a standout, NFL type player. It is a total team effort and really fun to watch
            I was debating this with myself lately. I'm going to say the 2009 defense led by Batten and Domino was better yet. Just because I think that D line was so good. I think this year's secondary is better. But I remember that D line just getting after people and forced a lot of turnovers. Whether it was forcing fumbles or bad passes. One I remember distinctly was the Domino pick 6 against the Goofers. This D could stand to get a few more of those.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
              I'd have to agree. A lot of the outstanding 18-quarter stretch came against solid MVFC competition and for some of it our offense was struggling to keep ahold of the ball. Plenty of opportunities for the defense to get worn down. I hope the offense can get some things ironed out for the last three games so we can see this defense have an opportunity to do its thing inter postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                I was debating this with myself lately. I'm going to say the 2009 defense led by Batten and Domino was better yet. Just because I think that D line was so good. I think this year's secondary is better. But I remember that D line just getting after people and forced a lot of turnovers. Whether it was forcing fumbles or bad passes. One I remember distinctly was the Domino pick 6 against the Goofers. This D could stand to get a few more of those.
                Both very good D's, Batten and Domino were studs. I think this one is deeper with more guys contributing though. The line is getting good pressure and knockdowns are having an impact too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Both very good D's, Batten and Domino were studs. I think this one is deeper with more guys contributing though. The line is getting good pressure and knockdowns are having an impact too.
                  Seems like the D lines effort is there. Even if they aren't getting tons of pressure they are good against the run and keeping the oline working hard. Love the effort. Do think we miss carr and elmore. But the guys we have are stepping up. Regardless why they are gone but taking that talent off the field stinks to lose. Elmore was probably our best backer when he played. Carr would have been great next year losing our cbs but the guys we have should be ready for bigger rolls.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Defense is playing well but judge the defense on games versus good offenses and the dual threat QB. Next week will tell a lot about this year's defense. Wentz, Bailey and Roberson have had lots of room to run in the middle of the defense and are to fast for linebackers to tackle. Hope I am wrong versus the Redbirds.

Comment

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, with facts please. I don't think when the opposing QB is dual threat or a running QB there is ever a spy. Someone who just shadows the QB and is responsible to keep him contained. I watched part of the USD/UNI game and I think it was #4 that had the task of containing Bailey. Result 44 yds with a 1.9 avg.

Again I may be wrong but I just never see Bobbit, Kreutzfeldt, Brown or Hassell tasked with making the QB's life hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, with facts please. I don't think when the opposing QB is dual threat or a running QB there is ever a spy. Someone who just shadows the QB and is responsible to keep him contained. I watched part of the USD/UNI game and I think it was #4 that had the task of containing Bailey. Result 44 yds with a 1.9 avg.

Again I may be wrong but I just never see Bobbit, Kreutzfeldt, Brown or Hassell tasked with making the QB's life hell.
                        I feel like we did it against Kansas with mixed results. However, I think we did it with a DL not a LB. I would like to see Hassell be the one to track down Roberson with his speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                          I feel like we did it against Kansas with mixed results. However, I think we did it with a DL not a LB. I would like to see Hassell be the one to track down Roberson with his speed.
                          I was thinking I saw that with the DL shadow, not effective at all I think. Our DBs are gaining confidence and improving so I think leaving them on an island occasionally is acceptable. Besides a DBs best friend is pressure and collapsing the pocket. Now with a dual threat like Roberson you need that spy to contain him.

Comment

DL is a poor option as a spy or dog as they can't keep up with speed and moves of QB or RB so the Redbirds. Having one DL just standup and not rush does little, might as well go to three man front but Stig says no. Great coverage will force a QB scramble to so look out and get ready LBs. tackling on the first hit is key as well. Get ready Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                              DL is a poor option as a spy or dog as they can't keep up with speed and moves of QB or RB so the Redbirds. Having one DL just standup and not rush does little, might as well go to three man front but Stig says no. Great coverage will force a QB scramble to so look out and get ready LBs. tackling on the first hit is key as well. Get ready Jacks.
                              Agree,don't give any runner open field to pick up a head of steam,keep him "confined",so to speak.Once they get a full head of steam and have room to maneuver,they usually get huge chunks of real estate before they're cornered or forced to run out of bounds.If they see no where to run,they get frozen in place and get to be a sitting duck for our tacklers.Containment,and tacklers converging from all directions will keep anyone from having any success of running the ball.We have to shed some blocks to get the pressure we need on the QB.Covering recievers well early will give the DL a little more time to shed their blocker.It's a team sport,and each team member can help his teammates by doing their job to the best of their ability.Every play is important,as is every player on the field.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-03-2015, 12:18 AM.

Comment

The boy's on Defense sure gave ISUr the D this past weekend. Of special note is how they gave it to Coprich to the tune of only 65net yds. Way to stick it to 'um! a performance as good as that at the corn silo known as the Dakota Dump and We'll be one win away from our first SEEDED playoff appearance. #lastplay

Comment

Working...
                                X