Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT NDSU at SDSU

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    Can't add much that most of the Sky Is Falling, Stig Must Go posters will believe. But besides what TAM said, or Jimmy Jack said, I will just reiterate what reality is in our situation. Did I hope we might actually beat them, since we are at home, and kept the Bison audience way down from years past? Yes. Has NDSU got our number? Yes. Do we get nervous and uptight facing them. Yes. Why?

Well, it might just be because they have the best FCS program in the country. I would say they are better than any other FCS program as shown by 4 straight National Championships (i.e. better than every FCS program each of those 4 years), so we are not alone in that regard. Name me off the recruits we have beaten them on...and as far as that goes, the names of recruits that other FCS schools have beaten them on.

If you don't think that a 19,000 seat Dome, built by the city, not the university, for football; a minor-league baseball stadium built by a corporate company, not the university; 209,000 people in the metro area within 15 miles of their facilities; the largest newspaper in the state, and all the major television stations in their town; etc.; etc.; aren't of big help in positioning them to be one heck of an FCS program... (make your own comparisons to Brookings) then you are really kidding yourselves. Since anything is possible...we might catch up with them...but football will be the toughest sport to get to the same level.

Was I as disappointed as everyone on this board...absolutely. We were tighter than heck getting started, and they piled on quick enough to heighten that problem. That is because they are a very good team. Obviously, they killed our running game (seems like they have done that before) and their defensive line overpowered us, so they were in Lujan's face all night and made passing just as tough. IF... we had scored from the one-yard line (regardless of who's fault it was) and on the other TD we made (but maybe made possible by our holding penalty), we would have been beaten 28-21. I know that you can do that with most any game...but the point is that we played very poorly and then shouldn't be expected to win.

My hope is that we are good enough to win our other home games (which won't be easy with two in the top 5 FCS rankings coming to Coughlin) and prove that we can get to the playoffs, despite being beat by the defending national champions. I'll be there next Saturday and shame on the posters that believe Jackrabbit fans will not turn out and support their team just because they lost to NDSU.
    I will be there too with my family. Looking forward to a great day in Brookings. This loss is dissapointing, but the season goals do not change today. This team can still be really good.

Losing to the best football program in the history of the FCS is not a shocking development. I too hoped that we were equipped to beat the Bison at home this year, but the reality is now apparent and the team will assimilate this information and move on from here. Fans should do so as well.

We live in a world now that tells us we must react in an instantaneous and vehement manner. And I understand the dissapointment, I am there too. But we overreact or prematurely react to everything now.

It is crazy to think that anyone would call for the head of the best coach in the history of the program, in the midst of the most successful era of the program because of a loss to an historically great program at our level of football.

Can we take a breath here for goodness sake? I expect to see a great crowd on Saturday and a good performance by coaches and players as they still pursue a conference championship and a national title.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

What disappoints me is not the loss, but how the team lost. They looked mentally unprepared and simply not ready to play tough football against a tough opponent. A good share of that is on the coaches, but frankly a lot of that is on the players themselves.

High throws, dropped passes right on the hands, missed blocks, missed tackles, penalties---just a whole parade of mistakes right from the start, that indicated to me that the players' minds weren't totally focused on execution.

NDSU did their part by playing nearly flawlessly, too.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

We're not the best, yet. Somebody else is.

The message to SDSU coaches and players is, once again: get better.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        What disappoints me is not the loss, but how the team lost. They looked mentally unprepared and simply not ready to play tough football against a tough opponent. A good share of that is on the coaches, but frankly a lot of that is on the players themselves.

High throws, dropped passes right on the hands, missed blocks, missed tackles, penalties---just a whole parade of mistakes right from the start, that indicated to me that the players' minds weren't totally focused on execution.

This is exactly how I felt Saturday night. It isn't the loss, it is the way we lost. They looked unprepared and intimidated. We are better than that. We've seen this before, we always lay an egg in earlier season play. Lets hope that was it.

Time to put together a winning streak and finish top 3 in the conference. If we do, playoffs and hopefully we open with a home game. Than we pray for a UND playoff invite. They have an easy schedule, it could very well happen. I would love to see the NCAA send the Whioux to Fargo for a 2nd round game allowing us to go somewhere, anywhere other than Fargo.

Comment

Maybe they've reached the peak of their potential.Just kidding,but half serious too.Is that performance against the Bison what we will get the rest of the season?I know we're better than that,and the players do too.

Comment

Okay, I'm done complaining. I think being a new parent is messing with my sleep which is messing with my mood.

I don't want Stig fired. Nidaros is the best poster on this board. Go Jacks! Here's to a better week!
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              Okay, I'm done complaining. I think being a new parent is messing with my sleep which is messing with my mood.

I don't want Stig fired. Nidaros is the best poster on this board. Go Jacks! Here's to a better week!
              Nah I don't think so. I too have had a hard time letting go,but from the first game NDSU played, I had a feeling that they were a good team. They lost on the final play of the game. Also watched the UND game in its entirety. At least we did not have 10 three and outs but may have come close. Plus they had two weeks to study the Weinke tapes. Part of their strategy was to get to Lujan and they did that. I think we lost to a very good team.

Comment

I just had a thought... Let's say that both SDSU and NDSU win out. (unlikely, I know, but stay with me) NDSU would win the conference championship, but would it be possible for SDSU to get a higher seed with their only loss being against NDSU? Considering NDSU lost against Montana, and SDSU has an FBS win this season, it seems feasible.

I know, this is very hypothetical and looking way ahead, but it's interesting to consider the conference champion getting a lower seed than the runner up.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  I just had a thought... Let's say that both SDSU and NDSU win out. (unlikely, I know, but stay with me) NDSU would win the conference championship, but would it be possible for SDSU to get a higher seed with their only loss being against NDSU? Considering NDSU lost against Montana, and SDSU has an FBS win this season, it seems feasible.

I know, this is very hypothetical and looking way ahead, but it's interesting to consider the conference champion getting a lower seed than the runner up.
                  While it's interesting to consider, I doubt that the playoff committee would ignore head-to-head outcomes and seed SDSU ahead of the 4-time defending Superbowl Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUguy View Post
                    While it's interesting to consider, I doubt that the playoff committee would ignore head-to-head outcomes and seed SDSU ahead of the 4-time defending Superbowl Champions.
                    NDSU is the 4-time Superbowl champs now as well? Holy S**t, no wonder we lost on Saturday.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Don't think so. Would we get a seed? Yes, but it would be 5 - 8. NDSU wins out and they get a 1 or 2 seed. The Montana game was the opener, it won't be held against them. I

think your top seeds, as it stands now. NDSU, JMU, JSU, CCU. JMU has a few difficult games left on their schedule, they could get beaten in conference play which would open up the 4th slot for the 2nd place MVFC school if they only have one loss. I don't see anyone from the BSC getting a top 4 seed this year. Coastal and JSU don't really play anyone so both will likely win out.

If NDSU wins out playing a Valley schedule and being the 4 time defending champion they get the 1 seed.

Comment

Hahahaha...that was pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                          Don't think so. Would we get a seed? Yes, but it would be 5 - 8. NDSU wins out and they get a 1 or 2 seed. The Montana game was the opener, it won't be held against them. I

think your top seeds, as it stands now. NDSU, JMU, JSU, CCU. JMU has a few difficult games left on their schedule, they could get beaten in conference play which would open up the 4th slot for the 2nd place MVFC school if they only have one loss. I don't see anyone from the BSC getting a top 4 seed this year. Coastal and JSU don't really play anyone so both will likely win out.

If NDSU wins out playing a Valley schedule and being the 4 time defending champion they get the 1 seed.
                          I think this is correct. The committee has put more stock in later season games in the past. The other thing the poster is forgetting is how much better NDSU is than Kansas.....

The other poster who commented on praying UN_ continues to do well is spot on. I think they would get slated for another Fargo colonoscopy over SDSU.

Comment

Bingo. The bison came out relaxed,confident, and played like it. The Jacks came out unprepared,jittery,and played like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Bingo. The bison came out relaxed,confident, and played like it. The Jacks came out unprepared,jittery,and played like it.
                              Simply put and perfectly accurate. We looked like we were afraid of our own shadow the entire first half. Apparently, we did some additional things that we don't normally do for game day preparation. That just tells me the coaches and players both were overcome by the moment. Frustrating.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Sure I was disappointed Saturday night at the lack of a competitive game. It sucks when the Big Bully of FCS Football is right in our backyard. We'll find out more about this team in the weeks to come. Lots of questions right now. Let's see how the coaching staff and team respond.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                                X