Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SUU GDT

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    And moving beyond the idiotic last sequence of plays...I was stunned that entire drive, going clear back to 3 minutes left in the game, when the clock was running and Manning kept snapping the ball with 10 to 15 seconds left on the play clock...stunned...
    I wasnt watching it but from the sounds of it, it was horrible game management. I can get the confusion on if they did or didnt have a timeout to some degree, but there are certain things you just have to know. time on the play clock, downs, timeouts are a few of them.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Another great highlight video from the SUU game. I sure hope we get to enjoy these after every football game this season. They are great. Big step up this year in this area for the football program.

https://vimeo.com/139370278

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
        Continuing conversation on whether scoring at the end of the game was unnecessary. In Justin Sell's podcast this week he talks to Stig, and he talks about the 2nd half. It sounds like we have taken a new approach this season. It's make a statement, leave the field completely spent no matter the score, and get a top 8 seed in the playoffs. I think that explains the not letting up no matter who's on the field.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/login/a...inSellShow.mp3
        On another note, the music for his podcast is Damn it Feels Ggod to be a Gangsta. Sell's got a little swagger, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Win your games and you will get a Top 8 seed. Has absolutely nothing to do with the score. FCS does not have style points. A 10-1 SDSU will have better seed than an 8-3 Montana St, even if Mt St scores 40+ every game

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          No way. Problem with this program the last 10 years has been a lack of killer instinct and a willingness to burry teams as quickly as possible. I can promise you that SUU wanted nothing to do with SDSU "letting up earlier". This is big boy football. You stomp people when you can and you don't look back.....ever.
          100% correct. We don't even have to mention the unmentionable for everyone on here to remember games that we had in hand, only to see us let a team back into the game. If you have a chance to bury someone, do it. We are not playing HS football. Every team we play this year is an FCS or FBS program. They know the score.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
            Win your games and you will get a Top 8 seed. Has absolutely nothing to do with the score. FCS does not have style points. A 10-1 SDSU will have better seed than an 8-3 Montana St, even if Mt St scores 40+ every game
            No kidding.

What about an 8-3 SDSU vs an 8-3 Montana St? Who gets the higher seed in that situation? Think four 21+ point wins could factor into the committee discussion?

According to our head coach, it matters.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              No kidding.

What about an 8-3 SDSU vs an 8-3 Montana St? Who gets the higher seed in that situation? Think four 21+ point wins could factor into the committee discussion?

According to our head coach, it matters.
              Margin of victory is meaningless. Nobody in late November is going to care by how much the Jacks beat SUU by in September or a scrub team like Bob Morris. They will just care if they beat SUU.

SDSU would be a lower seed than Mt State based on the KU win & Mt State playing a D2. Also SDSU is in the Valley,which is still owning the Big Sky.

Comment

I don't recall a press release announcing the playoff selection committee is now including Bison fans, in which they would be privy to the internal process...must have missed it.

Margin of Victory is not meaningless...it impacts polls, voter perception, and selection committee perception, even if it isn't factored into the metrics of the process. As we've seen, that perception impacts seeding, etc.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Margin of victory is meaningless. Nobody in late November is going to care by how much the Jacks beat SUU by in September or a scrub team like Bob Morris. They will just care if they beat SUU.

SDSU would be a lower seed than Mt State based on the KU win & Mt State playing a D2. Also SDSU is in the Valley,which is still owning the Big Sky.
                  Maybe you missed it earlier in the thread, but it sounds like the selection rules have had a slight change. Here is the relevant part again:

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Stig said... at Difference Makers a couple of weeks ago, that the criteria for FCS playoff spots, was changed this year, and any game played where you do not win by 21 points, will be thrown out (not looked at) by the committee in deciding playoffs.
                  According to Stig, margin of victory is not meaningless. The selection committee will care in late November how much the Jacks beat SUU and Robert Morris (assuming it is by 21+). It could make a HUGE difference for bubble teams - both in terms of making the field and earning a seed.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Maybe you missed it earlier in the thread, but it sounds like the selection rules have had a slight change. Here is the relevant part again:

According to Stig, margin of victory is not meaningless. The selection committee will care in late November how much the Jacks beat SUU and Robert Morris (assuming it is by 21+). It could make a HUGE difference for bubble teams - both in terms of making the field and earning a seed.

Rules or Committee's rules or any selection, I'd just argue that its better to win by more than less. (yeah once 45 is touched its all perspective, but you get the point.

At the same point, and I don't care what the rules are, there are other things that will always be looked at more, and generally they are, games going into the playoffs, games against ranked opponents, and the home/road split

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      I don't recall a press release announcing the playoff selection committee is now including Bison fans, in which they would be privy to the internal process...must have missed it.

Margin of Victory is not meaningless...it impacts polls, voter perception, and selection committee perception, even if it isn't factored into the metrics of the process. As we've seen, that perception impacts seeding, etc.
                      True a 9-2 NDSU squad will always have a better seed than a 9-2 SDSU squad.

Comment

Always is a long time!

Comment

Not when 1 of those 2 loses is against SDSU. You've been channeling your inner Lakes lately. I'd get that looked at ASAP.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                            Not when 1 of those 2 loses is against SDSU. You've been channeling your inner Lakes lately. I'd get that looked at ASAP.

If the loss was to SDSU the committee would be dumb enough to give higher an undeserved better seed.

I dunno, Lakes teams areon a 4 peat in football and a 2-peat in mens bball.

Comment

a 9-2 NDSU and a 9-2 SDSU would hopefully put each in a separate bracket so they would meet in the championship game. now move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                                Not so fast. My understanding of Stig's statement:

If SDSU beats NDSU by 18, the committee won't talk about the fact that SDSU beat NDSU at all. Other factors (GPI, rankings, etc) would obviously be impacted by that game and considered, but the committee would not talk about it as merit for playoff seeding. Its just 1 of 9 wins.

If SDSU beats NDSU by 25, the committee would likely talk about it and use it as a factor in their decision making process.

In theory, a 9-2 NDSU that lost head to head but blew the doors off 3 opponents could be seeded higher than a 9-2 SDSU that blew the doors off 2 opponents.

My question is, does the 21 point rule Stig alluded to apply to FBS games as well? If so, there aren't any "bonus points" for beating Kansas when it comes to selection time. Beating SUU by 21+ could actually be a bigger win than beating Kansas. It would be really interesting to know what exactly Stig was talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X