Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU vs. KU

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    With all understanding of operating budgets...I would think that the return from social gatherings like this would not be in the immediate break even rate of the event, but more so in the potential future giving and commitment/loyalty to the university that is a result of them.
    That's what I was thinking... Why is an alumni association worried about breaking even? How would they even do that? Isn't their M.O. providing events with free food and the likes in an effort to get the alumni more involved, keep them happy, and hopefully have them be willing to keep funneling money back to the university?

Another thing, why do they have to spend a bunch of money, and if they did in the past, what were they spending it on? Provide a central location for alumni to gather, throw some hot dogs and hamburgers out there, and call it good. Speaking for myself as an alum and others I have talked to, a lot more could be done, and I don't think it would be a wasted effort. For example, the junior jacks program. I'll guarantee that the large majority of alumni have no idea what the junior jacks program is. If they knew that they could get a ticket to almost every major sporting event for their kid for $40, they would attend 5x more events than they do now. The large cost of taking a family of 3, 4, or 5 to a sporting event keeps many families out of the stadiums and arenas. I have gotten a bit off topic, but the point is, I think much more can be done. Maybe I need to get involved in the alumni association...

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      That's what I was thinking... Why is an alumni association worried about breaking even? How would they even do that? Isn't their M.O. providing events with free food and the likes in an effort to get the alumni more involved, keep them happy, and hopefully have them be willing to keep funneling money back to the university? ...
      CappinHard, I think you've expressed quite well a common thought among alums. This is a good opportunity for me to make a pitch for the Alumni Association.

The business of the Alumni Association is often referred to as "friend-raising" (as compared to "fund-raising", the business of the Foundation). But think about it: how does an alumni association fulfill its purpose without funds? Or, with a finite amount of funding? The alumni association has three primary sources of funds: 1) the foundation; 2) the university for service provided; and 3) donations from friends and alums. The SDSU Alumni Association is a 501(c)(3) organization so donations are generally tax deductible. It is a non-profit corporation that is separate from the University and the SDSU Foundation.

Your description of the duty to "provide events with free food and the likes in an effort to get the alumni more involved, keep them happy, and hopefully have them be willing to keep funneling money back to the university" is part of the picture. In fact, hosting events, while time consuming and expensive, is one of the real fun parts of the job for the Alumni Association. At the same time, the Alumni Association has to keep in mind that it does a lot more than host pre-game events. Our alumni base is approaching 100,000. They're scattered all over the place. Most alumni cannot make it to a single athletic event and yet they too are interested in what's going on at State (keep in mind the concept you stated quite well: fostering a willingness to funnel money back to the University). So the Alumni Association has to try to serve all alums. The alums living on the east or west coast or in a foreign country appreciate receiving State Magazine and other publications and communications from the Alumni Association -- all of which cost money.

One may ask: if money is in short supply, why not more fund raising? Well, the Alumni Association has to be careful to not tread on the work of the Foundation -- the Foundation is expert at fund raising and there's plenty of competition for donated dollars without adding the Alumni Association to the list of competitors. The Foundation generously supports the work of the Alumni Association and without that support, the Alumni Association would not be the organization it is.

There are opportunities to donate to the Alumni Association. For example, the Alumni Association sponsors a big tent at home football games. There's free food and refreshments (including beer!). The result: every alum and their friends have a place to socialize and tailgate. Some have returned to campus for the first time in years and that tent is a great "welcome home!" For those who have visited the tent, you know that the Alumni Association accepts free-will offerings (there's a container where people can drop in a few bucks) but I have to tell you, the free-will offering doesn't touch the cost (I guess that's the "free food" concept). Who supports the tent? Sponsors who think it's important State alums have a place to go for pre-game socialization. The Alumni Association hopes and prays that at the end of the season, the money donated by the Sponsors together with free-will donations will cover the cost. Many of us who live within an easy drive of Brookings and attend most or all of the home games and have their regular pre-game routine, have no idea that some people are back for their first game in a decade and without the alumni tent, they may not know where to go to socialize and get reacquainted with old friends.

The Alumni Association staff works continuously to figure out how to get the best bang for the buck, constantly fine-tuning what works and rethinking what does not work very well (there have been occasions when a pre-game event has attracted very few alums at a cost to the Alumni Association that simply is not justified -- I think I heard about one event at which the two Alumni staff members in attendance, matched the number of alumns who showed up).

It's a great organization tasked with an impossible job -- and doing quite well at it! Give it your support!

[Okay, disclosure time: I'm on the Alumni Association Board. ]
      Last edited by JackJD; 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        CappinHard, I think you've expressed quite well a common thought among alums. This is a good opportunity for me to make a pitch for the Alumni Association.

The business of the Alumni Association is often referred to as "friend-raising" (as compared to "fund-raising", the business of the Foundation). But think about it: how does an alumni association fulfill its purpose without funds? Or, with a finite amount of funding? The alumni association has three primary sources of funds: 1) the foundation; 2) the university for service provided; and 3) donations from friends and alums. The SDSU Alumni Association is a 501(c)(3) organization so donations are generally tax deductible. It is a non-profit corporation that is separate from the University and the SDSU Foundation.

Your description of the duty to "provide events with free food and the likes in an effort to get the alumni more involved, keep them happy, and hopefully have them be willing to keep funneling money back to the university" is part of the picture. In fact, hosting events, while time consuming and expensive, is one of the real fun parts of the job for the Alumni Association. At the same time, the Alumni Association has to keep in mind that it does a lot more than host pre-game events. Our alumni base is approaching 100,000. They're scattered all over the place. Most alumni cannot make it to a single athletic event and yet they too are interested in what's going on at State (keep in mind the concept you stated quite well: fostering a willingness to funnel money back to the University). So the Alumni Association has to try to serve all alums. The alums living on the east or west coast or in a foreign country appreciate receiving State Magazine and other publications and communications from the Alumni Association -- all of which cost money.

One may ask: if money is in short supply, why not more fund raising? Well, the Alumni Association has to be careful to not tread on the work of the Foundation -- the Foundation is expert at fund raising and there's plenty of competition for donated dollars without adding the Alumni Association to the list of competitors. The Foundation generously supports the work of the Alumni Association and without that support, the Alumni Association would not be the organization it is.

There are opportunities to donate to the Alumni Association. For example, the Alumni Association sponsors a big tent at home football games. There's free food and refreshments (including beer!). The result: every alum and their friends have a place to socialize and tailgate. Some have returned to campus for the first time in years and that tent is a great "welcome home!" For those who have visited the tent, you know that the Alumni Association accepts free-will offerings (there's a container where people can drop in a few bucks) but I have to tell you, the free-will offering doesn't touch the cost (I guess that's the "free food" concept). Who supports the tent? Sponsors who think it's important State alums have a place to go for pre-game socialization. The Alumni Association hopes and prays that at the end of the season, the money donated by the Sponsors together with free-will donations will cover the cost. Many of us who live within an easy drive of Brookings and attend most or all of the home games and have their regular pre-game routine, have no idea that some people are back for their first game in a decade and without the alumni tent, they may not know where to go to socialize and get reacquainted with old friends.

The Alumni Association staff works continuously to figure out how to get the best bang for the buck, constantly fine-tuning what works and rethinking what does not work very well (there have been occasions when a pre-game event has attracted very few alums at a cost to the Alumni Association that simply is not justified -- I think I heard about one event at which the two Alumni staff members in attendance, matched the number of alumns who showed up).

It's a great organization tasked with an impossible job -- and doing quite well at it! Give it your support!

[Okay, disclosure time: I'm on the Alumni Association Board. ]
        Excellant post! It's been over twenty years since I was on the Alumni Association board. Your update was very helpful. Twenty years ago there was no tailgating but the AA had many pre game events particularly at away games. Things have greatly changed. I had wondered if the AA had felt that they were competing against tailgaters in general since it seems they might be money ahead if they did nothing. Someone mention free food by the AA was something should happen automatically and maybe it has occurred, there is no such thing as free lunch and question its occurance whenever it did happen. I guess what I am trying to say is every one should expect to pay something even if just a quarter in your pocket. I do agree we need the AA tent for all who have not been back in awhile. It seem to be s different world now from that 20 years ago. I support Andi and council and all their efforts to serve every alum.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          CappinHard, I think you've expressed quite well a common thought among alums. This is a good opportunity for me to make a pitch for the Alumni Association. ...
          Thank you for that post, it was very insightful. I will do my best to support the Alumni Association when I can!

Comment

JackJD gave a very good explanation. Having talked with the AA people, I know a lot of those away games they suffered huge losses even when they charged people. The Nebraska game was $25/person and still didn't come close to covering all the costs for the facility and food but if they charged more the fear was no one would come. I think the UND gathering was the final straw as I think less than 10 people attended. Oh, well. On to Lawrence and create our own gathering without the AA.

Comment

As a former alumni director, I want to thank JackJD for an excellent post. You did a better job than I could have done Jim! The cost of doing the tailgate event at away games, even the FBS games, is very expensive. There are a lot of realities on living within the funds available to the Association...I know. Don't put any blame on Andi Fouberg...she is doing an excellent job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                As a former alumni director, I want to thank JackJD for an excellent post. You did a better job than I could have done Jim! The cost of doing the tailgate event at away games, even the FBS games, is very expensive. There are a lot of realities on living within the funds available to the Association...I know. Don't put any blame on Andi Fouberg...she is doing an excellent job.
                I am sure she is doing the best she can with not a whole bunch of resources. When I first read the concern about the AA tailgating I automatically put on my 1992 hat and that was very wrong. Times have changed a great deal since then. It's going to take smart and courageous person like Andi to get the job done. BTW, I credit Jack#1 while Alumni Director for having an impact on myself in developing my friendship with SDSU. I finished in the LOWER not High part of my class. He has always greeted me. VJ who I also admire has said that SDSU is made up people from small towns. Jack#1 hails from Lake Preston and is known by many. So it goes on with Andi Fouberg who comes from Letcher.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 09-02-2015, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I posted this earlier but I still have a room available at the Oread hotel, spread the word if you would! phone and I will explain the details
                  Thanks again 605-480-1584

Comment

Zimmer did a Q&A with the Jayhawks beat writer:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blo...TcsccG2trbkx3D

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 15h15 hours ago Sioux Falls, SD
                    FWIW, Jed Stugart and Jerry Olszewski both told me today they think SDSU will beat Kansas on Saturday.

Comment

Thought this was interesting. An OT on KU's team works part time as a bounty hunter.

https://www.campusrush.com/tj-semke-...326426825.html

Comment

This is about the best chance we'll have for awhile to beat an FBS oponent, however, squandering the opportunity year after year has left me feeling somewhat negative regarding our chances this year.

Granted, some years we were just out-manned...I get that, but there are just as many years where we had the chance but shat it down our leg.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          Zimmer did a Q&A with the Jayhawks beat writer:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blo...TcsccG2trbkx3D

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 15h15 hours ago Sioux Falls, SD
                          FWIW, Jed Stugart and Jerry Olszewski both told me today they think SDSU will beat Kansas on Saturday.
                          That dude writes for Rivals and is a notorious, blind homer. I would take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

Local beat writer for KU is Matt Tait at the Lawrence Journal World. KC Star beat writer is Rustin Dodd.

Interesting predictions from those two coaches.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            This is about the best chance we'll have for awhile to beat an FBS oponent, however, squandering the opportunity year after year has left me feeling somewhat negative regarding our chances this year.

Granted, some years we were just out-manned...I get that, but there are just as many years where we had the chance but shat it down our leg.
                            Gophers come to mind? Just have to get over their second half swoon, probably the result of a short bench.
                            It is never the number of scholarship players, but the quality that matter.

Comment

Ben's bar in Yankton will have a watch party beginning at 11 am this Saturday. All Jackrabbit fans, family and friends are welcome. Ben always does a great job hosting.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

I disagree that we've squandered opportunities to beat an FBS opponent many years. Only year I think we lost where we should have won was at Minnesota. Here are the FBS games over the years:

2008: Iowa State 44, SDSU 17 (season opener at Ames, Iowa)
                                2009: Minnesota 16, SDSU 13 (at Minneapolis)
                                2010: Nebraska 17, SDSU 3 (at Lincoln, Neb.)
                                2011: Illinois 56, SDSU 3 (at Champaign, Ill.)
                                2012: Kansas 31, South Dakota State 17 (season opener at Lawrence, Kan.)
                                2013: Nebraska 59, South Dakota State 20 (at Lincoln, Neb.)
                                2014: Missouri 38, South Dakota State 18 (season opener at Columbia, Mo.)

Some might argue Nebraska, but we couldn't move the ball very effectively that game. Two TDs coming off the board hurt, but they did come off the board.

We played pretty well in other games, including the loss to Missouri last year. We still lost by 20. Again, Austin was hurt early. I'm surprised we kept it that close losing a senior QB.

KU in 2012 was one I thought we had a chance to win before the season, but we started a redshirt freshman at QB when Austin was hurt. That one might be included, but again, tough for that to happen when you don't have your starting QB in good health.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X