Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of NDSU domination

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    It appears you agree with the proposition that the MVFC schools, including SDSU, are going through some major upgrades. The end of NDSU domination may be in sight.

Go Illinois State!
    At the risk of contributing even more stupidity to the "dumbest thread ever" I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment, JD. (BTW, this is one of the more interesting threads we've had).

Comment

Originally posted by gabe01 View Post
      This may possibly be the dumbest thread I have ever read. So basically what some of you think is that since the dome will be 5 to 10 years older, it's not going to be cool anymore, therefore sdsu will win all the recruiting battles since they have a new stadium and a dyke house.

News flash. Is it possible for both NDSU and SDSU to be really really good? The Missouri Valley is an amazing conference and there is a ton of talent. National Championship game... 2 MVFC teams

Recruiting? NDSU has 11 verbals that have FBS offers.

SDSU has some great upgrades but so does the rest of the conference. Youngstown just hired Bo Pelini. Yes that Bo Pelini. Have you seen Youngstowns IPF? SIU , Illinois State, and Missouri State all have new stadiums or big time upgrades. Even USD is making some improvements. And ndsu is nearing completion of a 42 million dollar basketball arena that will double the size and have huge upgrades to the weight room, ticket office, Hall Of Fame, Student Athlete Center, opened a brand new indoor track facility, remodeled Dacotah Field into a soccer stadium and put a giant multi million dollar bubble dome over the top of it. The Fargodome is made of brick people and it's already 23 years old. It will look exactly the same in 10 years except better ... next year it's getting 2 gigantic HD video boards for the endzones which will be the nicest in the conference. And they are making plans for a dome addition including increasing the seating and adding corner seats.

Everyone and every team is improving and it's going to get tougher, not easier. It's going to be crazy good. If you only worry about NDSU... your in for a kick in the nuts by UNI, Youngstown, SIU, Illinois State, and the rest of the conference.

Dumb question. What are brick people?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Dumb question. What are brick people?
        Here is another dumb question...how can it look exactly the same in 10 years except better?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I don't think the size of your enrollment determines whether you have ability to move up. It's all about resources. In both cases (St. Cloud and Mn State Mankato) they have invested heavily in hockey. St Cloud like Omaha would most likely have to drop football.
          You are right, of course. Like everything else, it is a matter of dollars and priorities. Just being the devil's advocate. Nice that Ill St v NH and Mn St v CSU-Pueblo were only a channel apart.

Comment

It appears you agree with the proposition that the MVFC schools, including SDSU, are going through some major upgrades. The end of NDSU domination may be in sight.

Go Illinois State!
            Yes the conference is getting stronger. But the thread implies that since it's the end of the NDSU dominance, it's SDSU's time to dominate. You're in for a big shock when all these other teams are better than both of us. Won't be the end of anything. It will be the start of the norm of having 5 MVFC teams in the playoffs. The days of going undefeated or losing 1 conference game are gone. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
              What if any of the Minnesota schools go D1 in the future. How would that impact recruiting? Three of them are as big if not bigger than any of the Dakota schools.
              Fair question but it would take forever to compete with the established schools. They don't have the money, facilities, TV exposure, tradition, or even a good fan base. (they average less than the Dakota schools do for basketball) Don't think Mankato, St Cloud, or even Duluth really have much going on. They really sucked and couldn't even field a competitive team up until UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU left and moved up. Could dilute the talent a little if they offer the max scholarships but they would need a conference and I think the MVFC is the only geographical fit. What do they bring the MVFC? Nothing. Horrible stadiums, weak attendance, limited tradition, no name recognition... Heck St Cloud almost dropped football and their stadium has 1 side to it and no endzone seating. Duluth has a track. Just not quality in my opinion for a conference that averages well over 10K

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                I don't think the size of your enrollment determines whether you have ability to move up. It's all about resources. In both cases (St. Cloud and Mn State Mankato) they have invested heavily in hockey. St Cloud like Omaha would most likely have to drop football.
                There has been ZERO talk of Minnesota Schools going D1 for football in the media or online. None what so ever.

I have always been curious as to why so I asked some people at St. Cloud, Mankato, and UMD. All of them were in Buildings and Grounds and I don't mean the janitors. These were the head of department, decision makers. They told me this will never happen due mostly because of money. They feel they simply don't have the money to move up and none of them had any plans on the books to make the necessary facility upgrades.

I think the bigger question is why all the colleges in Wisconsin are DIII? I can't figure that one out either.

Comment

Fair question but it would take forever to compete with the established schools. They don't have the money, facilities, TV exposure, tradition, or even a good fan base. (they average less than the Dakota schools do for basketball) Don't think Mankato, St Cloud, or even Duluth really have much going on. They really sucked and couldn't even field a competitive team up until UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU left and moved up. Could dilute the talent a little if they offer the max scholarships but they would need a conference and I think the MVFC is the only geographical fit. What do they bring the MVFC? Nothing. Horrible stadiums, weak attendance, limited tradition, no name recognition... Heck St Cloud almost dropped football and their stadium has 1 side to it and no endzone seating. Duluth has a track. Just not quality in my opinion for a conference that averages well over 10K
                  Gabe, seriously, says that Mankato, St Cloud, or even Duluth really have much going on? Huh? Mankato had a undefeated regular season and lost 13 - 0 in the Championship game. Duluth was in the playoffs this year. Is 2008 really that long ago when Duluth won the National Championship? St Cloud, well St Cloud majors in drinking anyway and doesn't even count. Actually, they have a very nice stadium right on the river and could turn it around quickly.

Though I'm sure St Clouds' stadium isn't as nice as a stadium made out of brick people. Are brick people similar to Legos???

Comment

IMO, like Nebraska, Minnesota will most likely remain a state with a single Div. I FB team.

The Gophers have the politics and support behind them for that to continue. It's their sandbox!

Sky U Ma is doing just fine Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      IMO, like Nebraska, Minnesota will most likely remain a state with a single Div. I FB team.

The Gophers have the politics and support behind them for that to continue. It's their sandbox!

Sky U Ma is doing just fine Thank you!
                      The Gophs seem to be pulling out of the doldrums, finally. Most likely created by the sanctions and bad press of years past. Maybe a little instate rivalry would light the fire even more. USD, NDSU, etc. can't sit well. Especially their loss to Winona State in an exhibition game several years ago in MBB. The period of discouraging JC transfers, unless you were an athlete, probably did not help their image.(tho, not well versed on the subject)

Comment

Yes the conference is getting stronger. But the thread implies that since it's the end of the NDSU dominance, it's SDSU's time to dominate.
                        I disagree with the implication you're reading into the thread. (But, I like the 'possibility' you seem concerned about!)

You're in for a big shock when all these other teams are better than both of us. Won't be the end of anything. It will be the start of the
                        norm of having 5 MVFC teams in the playoffs. The days of going undefeated or losing 1 conference game are gone. That's it.
                        Once again, it seems you agree with the proposition that the end of NDSU dominance may be in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                          ,,,Though I'm sure St Clouds' stadium isn't as nice as a stadium made out of brick people. Are brick people similar to Legos???
                          See, also, NoVaJack's post 62 "What are brick people?"

I understand female brick people are real hot looking. See, e.g. Brick House, The Commodores; lyrics by Shirley-Hanna King (Motown, 1977).

Comment

See, also, NoVaJack's post 62 "What are brick people?"

I understand female brick people are real hot looking. See, e.g. Brick House, The Commodores; lyrics by Shirley-Hanna King (Motown, 1977).
                            Post 62 was the funniest thing I've seen on the internet since Hitler finding out that Jay Cutler threw another interception. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJ21fUDfhc

What are the top 5 funniest posts for the year?

I'd rank Post 62 second.

Comment

MN is a weird place to live; and I did live there from 1999-2008 including 5 years with the U of M. No other college will be allowed to go d1 in all sport other than the Gophers. That is just the way it is and hard to completely explain it. That is the only thing I could ever see happening to end NDSU domination, for good, and it is not happening.

On a related note, stumbled across this nice summary from Gopher Hole about MN recruiting: http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/...tball-recruits

I thought twice about posting figuring some would think I am doing this to boast (which could be partly true), however, if you follow SDSU recruiting, it was a very nice summary of MN players.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                                On a related note, stumbled across this nice summary from Gopher Hole about MN recruiting: http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/...tball-recruits

I thought twice about posting figuring some would think I am doing this to boast (which could be partly true), however, if you follow SDSU recruiting, it was a very nice summary of MN players.
                                Thanks. Don't think it is boasting when we have reported who NDSU has gotten as verbals in the 2015 recruiting thread. http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ecruiting-List

Comment

Working...
                                X