X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: State at NDSU - Playoff Edition

Echo what most have said.

Great game, so disappointed in loss.

So proud of this team. And proud to support my school.

Was msgd by a Bison fan at half that the game "wasn't even close, the refs are keeping sdsu in it". And later when we took lead with 3 mins to go "biggest screw job ever". So that is the mindset I was exposed to.

Funny how they won 3 straight titles, and lost 2 games in 4 seasons with the officials out to get them.

Congrats to the Bison players and coaches. They are tremendous, and what we are reaching for, and almost got there yesterday.

Not a moral victory, this sucks.

But I am proud of my school, and my team.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Fact: Until we have all of our new facilities for several years, we are not going to be in a position to compete at the highest level every year. The Bison have been at that level for years. We have been in a mode where we have succeeded despite our bad facilities, low budget, etc. mainly because of exceptional groups like this year's seniors. This isn't a peak, it's the baseline. We'll drop off a bit in the short run, but in the medium term, we'll be in a position to compete for the final 8 every year. Four or five years from now, I anticipate there will pretty much always be two seeded teams from the Dakotas every year.
      I was waiting for someone to bring up our facilities and budget as excuses. I feel better now.

Comment

Funny story about the end of the game: I was struggling to watch the game with a crappy connection the whole time and had an impending sortie (back in Afghanistan). I ended up having to head out to the jet right as we were starting our final drive. Talk about cruelty! I had to hang out for 5 hours before I could find out the outcome. Of course, it had to be a slow sortie as well so I had nothing to do but think about what was happening. I tried to get the FNG sitting at the duty desk to look up the score for me, but he passed that "San Diego State didn't play today"...

Oh well, it was one hell of a game. I have a ton of respect for the NDSU program and I wish them the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I was waiting for someone to bring up our facilities and budget as excuses. I feel better now.
          Reading comprehension lacking here. It's not an excuse for Saturday. It's the reason why we aren't a top 8 team every year, or a top 2 team every year like the Bison. Let's use the indoor practice facility as an example, shall we? Two years ago in the week leading up to the NDSU playoff game, the Jacks were practicing in basketball shoes on the Frost Arena floor. Do you think the SJAC is a better place to practice football than Frost Arena? They put in an entirely new package with ZZ at QB in the week before the game. Would that have been easy to do on a basketball floor? Do you think potential recruits and their parents might also find the SJAC compelling as a reason to come and play here? That's just one example. NDSU spends between $3.5 million and $4 million on football alone. SDSU, in 2012, spent $2.5 million. I suppose we might disagree about CAS and whether or not it's a draw for student athletes, but I would hope we could at least agree that it lacks the amenities to make up that $1.5 million gap without any luxury boxes, etc. We'll have to agree to disagree if you simply don't believe that $1 million to $1.5 million makes any difference at all to the consistent quality of a football program.

Programs that are competitive at the top level every year have all of those bells and whistles. SDSU has had excellent teams from time to time, and very good teams in between those remarkable senior classes that come along now and then. We have succeeded in spite of facilities and budget. What I'm suggesting is to reach the next level of consistency, we do need those things. Somebody somewhere agrees with me since we're spending $100 million to get them.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Reading comprehension lacking here. It's not an excuse for Saturday. It's the reason why we aren't a top 8 team every year, or a top 2 team every year like the Bison. Let's use the indoor practice facility as an example, shall we? Two years ago in the week leading up to the NDSU playoff game, the Jacks were practicing in basketball shoes on the Frost Arena floor. Do you think the SJAC is a better place to practice football than Frost Arena? They put in an entirely new package with ZZ at QB in the week before the game. Would that have been easy to do on a basketball floor? Do you think potential recruits and their parents might also find the SJAC compelling as a reason to come and play here? That's just one example. NDSU spends between $3.5 million and $4 million on football alone. SDSU, in 2012, spent $2.5 million. I suppose we might disagree about CAS and whether or not it's a draw for student athletes, but I would hope we could at least agree that it lacks the amenities to make up that $1.5 million gap without any luxury boxes, etc. We'll have to agree to disagree if you simply don't believe that $1 million to $1.5 million makes any difference at all to the consistent quality of a football program.

Programs that are competitive at the top level every year have all of those bells and whistles. SDSU has had excellent teams from time to time, and very good teams in between those remarkable senior classes that come along now and then. We have succeeded in spite of facilities and budget. What I'm suggesting is to reach the next level of consistency, we do need those things. Somebody somewhere agrees with me since we're spending $100 million to get them.
            I endorse this message. Well said JJ. You can not do these things with out facilities and resources. We don't have to go very far to grasp that. 195 miles up the road to Fargo. Just don't take a detour stop at Dakota Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              Funny story about the end of the game: I was struggling to watch the game with a crappy connection the whole time and had an impending sortie (back in Afghanistan). I ended up having to head out to the jet right as we were starting our final drive. Talk about cruelty! I had to hang out for 5 hours before I could find out the outcome. Of course, it had to be a slow sortie as well so I had nothing to do but think about what was happening. I tried to get the FNG sitting at the duty desk to look up the score for me, but he passed that "San Diego State didn't play today"...

Oh well, it was one hell of a game. I have a ton of respect for the NDSU program and I wish them the best.
              God Bless you airman. Sorry about the outcome and the nerd at the duty desk. It was painful to watch the last drive by the bizun. I kept hoping we would get a stop. Not that day.

Comment

You want to attack me about reading comprehension? Maybe re-read the post you responded to. I believe that was referring to THIS senior class and their inability to beat the Bison even once. I never once said anything about consistently competing for national titles. I'd like to be a serious threat once and go from there.

Budget and facilities are convient excuses. The teams with the highest budgets and best facilities don't automatically win every year.

SDSU has a hell of a lot to offer. I would argue CAS is one of the biggest home field advantages in the Valley. The only grass field. Outside, in weather, that in November can be a little less than favorable. Not to mention the game day atmosphere at CAS is pretty damn good.

Next were gonna talk about how one year contracts are preventing us from being contending.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post

Probably one of the coolest posts ever! Thank you for your service Danger!!

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I was officiating HS basketball on Saturday and missed this live, but I was following on my ESPN mobile app when I could. Congrats on giving the defending champs a hell of a run!!

Wish the ending would have turned out different. The Jackrabbits are now my favorite MVFC team! But the competition isn't too steep!

Comment

This is the first time that I have been able to come on the board since the game. It's just been too depressing. I can't imagine how gutted the players and coaches feel about losing at the end like that.

The team had a heck of a game plan and did a great job of executing it. There is only one way to stop the bully and that is to hit them in the mouth. There is no doubt the Jacks took it to the Bison. In the end, a championship team made a championship drive. A tip of the cap to the Bison.

You really feel for the Seniors and Sumner and Zenner in particular. Not only are they great football player but such great young men. They will go on to be champions in life! Thanks men for a great season, great careers, and giving it all for the team. You made everyone proud.

Jacks fans have to be extremely excited about where this program is headed. It was referenced on the page before but to contend for titles you have to have the fan base, the university, the coaches, and the players dedicated to getting it done. The fans and the university have stepped up and commited to making sure that SDSU will have the best facilities in all of FCS. That is beyond huge for the program. The coaches and the team are also getting it done and improving each and every year. It's now time to get over the hump! That isn't easy but it is what's next. That game will keep a fire burning in those coming back and even in a loss, the fact that we gave them that game in their house will help in recruiting.

It's not hard to imagine what that win would have done for our program. We may very well have gone on and won our first trophy. It wasn't meant to be. I can't tell you how many times the last few days I've been doing something and just out of nowhere gone "Gosh dang it!" when thinking about it. That was one of the best games I've ever watched.

Ratz!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

My quick thoughts:

1. Utterly heartbreaking.
                        2. Kudos to Eidsness and Stig for the offensive creativity.
                        3. Can't believe Sumner threw that pass. Probably one of his top 3 worst-reads at SDSU. 3 TOs and 48 seconds to boot. That was his moment. Hopefully he remembers the good times, because throwing your last pass as a senior directly to a guy in green has to sting.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                          My quick thoughts:

1. Utterly heartbreaking.
                          2. Kudos to Eidsness and Stig for the offensive creativity.
                          3. Can't believe Sumner threw that pass. Probably one of his top 3 worst-reads at SDSU. 3 TOs and 48 seconds to boot. That was his moment. Hopefully he remembers the good times, because throwing your last pass as a senior directly to a guy in green has to sting.
                          Has to sting for a while, but maybe Austin has plans after graduation, and no doubt his mind will shift in that direction. I am listening to KFGO right now and they are still commenting on the bad officiating. Who did win?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Has to sting for a while, but maybe Austin has plans after graduation, and no doubt his mind will shift in that direction. I am listening to KFGO right now and they are still commenting on the bad officiating. Who did win?
                            The only way I could get the game was follow the thread and listen on Bison radio. I'm telling you guys, the Bison announcers are the worst homers ever. They were constantly complaining and insulting the officials. Their broadcasts really lack professionalism.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                              The only way I could get the game was follow the thread and listen on Bison radio. I'm telling you guys, the Bison announcers are the worst homers ever. They were constantly complaining and insulting the officials. Their broadcasts really lack professionalism.
                              I watched on TV, but in defense they had every right to be upset. Officiating was the worst I've seen in years. The funny part is there were several occasions were you could see members of the crew openly bickering with one another about a call. On the "flag" on Butler's return, there was one official who was visibly shaking his head at the other, and you could read his lips saying "that's not penalty...that's not a penalty".

Has anyone ever seen so many flags picked up in a game?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                I watched on TV, but in defense they had every right to be upset. Officiating was the worst I've seen in years. The funny part is there were several occasions were you could see members of the crew openly bickering with one another about a call. On the "flag" on Butler's return, there was one official who was visibly shaking his head at the other, and you could read his lips saying "that's not penalty...that's not a penalty".

Has anyone ever seen so many flags picked up in a game?
                                And yet our coach thinks it was one of the best crews he's had reffing a game... Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X