Montana State GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Montana State GDT

Just watched the game on replay. One of the finest team wins I've ever seen. Of course the stars came out. ZZ - what can you say? Just incredible. He not only outran three DBs on that last touchdown, he gained on them, Sumner made some unbelievable throws in that weather, and that drive that ended with a touchdown to the young Landberg included two Sumner sideline throws to Wieneke and Schneider that you don't always see on Sundays in that kind of weather. That Landberg catch in the end zone was breakout stuff. Just a hell of a catch.

But more than anything this was a game of unsung heroes:
    - Jacks special teams were better. This board was filled with special teams criticism last year. Jacks won every phase of special teams. Kudos to the coaching and the effort. Was a key difference in the game. (Butler and Wesley outgained the vaunted Johnson in both PRs and KRs).
    - Aforementioned Landberg catch is noted. Just as important was his difficult sideline catch that helped keep a key drive alive.
    - D played better than the 40 points given up. One play in particular sticks out. Austin LaBlance probably saved a touchdown on the series when it was 31-26 and MSU was driving when he ran down a screen pass from behind from the other side of the field. Just tremendous effort.
    - Trevor Wesley had a great game, both in kick returns, and in key, touch, clutch catches.
    - Sawyer averaged 42 yards a punt in that weather, and left two inside the 20.
    - The holder and center on kicks should get game balls. The differential between how they set up Syrovotka - who I hope gets a real shot at kicking on Sundays - and how Montana State could not handle the exchanges in the kicking game was a real psychological and physical advantage for the Jacks. Can someone name these guys publicly?
    - The linebackers had extraordinary games and, in conditions like this, that kind of play on that kind of field is extremely important.
    - Finally, a shoutout to play-calling. Jacks seemed to run routes and call plays that were designed to be compatible with the weather. Why Montana State kept having their quarterback, with a sore left knee, roll left to try to complete passes, and why they stayed so long with cut-requiring misdirection in their running game with that footing is beyond me. Jacks' coaches called a better game.

Two favorite images of the game.
    OLine perfectly walling off the entire right side of the MSU defense in that first long ZZ touchdown run. You can't draw it up better than that, and when they show it on the highlights, take a look at it.
    And, Sumner running over to do the anti-cramp stretch for Wesley as the snow was driving down. Teamwork and brotherhood, no one above the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      For the lazy among our message-board faithful: here's the link to the post-game story on GoJacks.com, with links to game stats:
      http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209787408

Attendance in Bozeman: 7,747
      I'm thinking the Jacks draw twice this against Coastal Carolina in the final CAS game n two weeks. :-)

Comment

Anytime you play a game in the state of Montana up in the elevation during a whiteout and come out with a win, that's a big deal. Other positives...ZZ obviously, the fact that we scored 47 points without Wieneke or Schneider making any huge plays, the worse the weather the better Wesley seems to play, Landberg's first career td, and Syrovatka is really clubbing the ball.

Not so positives...tackling, kick coverage, tackling, the fact that we didn't really have any consistent offense,too much boom or bust for my liking though I'll take 47 points, d-line play, penalties (specifically the 12 men on the field after a timeout ), and tackling.

I feel like getting to the round of 16 is the new standard for us as a program, let's take the next step and try making a run now. It'll be tough, Go Jacks!

Comment

If this has already been addressed, I apologize. Cocktails have been flowing today. But...why on earth does Stig go for 2 up by 11? That is beyond baffling to me.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

NoVaJack. Holder is QB Tyler Finnes andlong snapper is Thayer Trenhaile, Soph. from Volga.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              If this has already been addressed, I apologize. Cocktails have been flowing today. But...why on earth does Stig go for 2 up by 11? That is beyond baffling to me.
              It's the card. I agree throw that darn card away.

*My bad, don't throw away the card, as the card says to go for 1.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                NoVaJack. Holder is QB Tyler Finnes andlong snapper is Thayer Trenhaile, Soph. from Volga.

Thanks, they both did great jobs today.

Comment

Quite the game today. I see through blue and yellow glasses but State appeared the better team, certainly better prepared for the elements. Play that game at Coughlin in the weather we had today and, IMHO, State pushes MSU all over the field and wins by 20+.

Would prefer not to have this team play NDSU in second round, but the road to Frisco does seem to go through Fargo lately.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                    I'm thinking the Jacks draw twice this against Coastal Carolina in the final CAS game n two weeks. :-)
                    I dont think we can host Coastal Carolina since they are a seeded team. I think we have to cheer for Richmond.

Comment

Some where some one posted the brackets. It would be interesting to see that now and ponder the what ifs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Some where some one posted the brackets. It would be interesting to see that now and ponder the what ifs.
                        Brackets here

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          It's the card. I agree throw that darn card away.

*My bad, don't throw away the card, as the card says to go for 1.
                          Stigs explanation of using the card baffles me, "it takes the decision making out of it".....huh!! Don't coaches get paid to make the tough decisions.I know what you're going to say...."that's why he decides to use the card".
                          I don't like the card,I'll be honest,it 's too easy to blame if it doesn't turn out and strikes me as being indecisive and/or lazy. OK to use as a tool to help make a decision, but not the end all, be all, all the time, using religiously thing.
                          A card is an inanimate object, it cannot make decisions, it is therefore a list of recommendations, the decision is made by a person.It should therefore never be used as an acceptable explanation. My PERSONAL PET PEEVE,I'll get over it hopefully.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-30-2014, 09:36 AM. Reason: changed wording

Comment

Even if you use the card, it says kick it when up by 11. Someone needs to take that damn card away from him.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

So what we can conclude is Stig consults the card and then decides whether to follow it. Sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                Even if you use the card, it says kick it when up by 11. Someone needs to take that damn card away from him.
                                It was seriously stupid to go for 2, kick it and go up 12 which forces them to score two touchdowns. By not getting the 2 point conversion and staying up 11you allow them to tie it up with a td and fg. I'm a Notre Dame fan and I watched Brian Kelly blow this decision as well a couple of weeks ago in the loss to Northwestern. If he would have kicked the extra point to go up by twelve instead of failing the 2 and staying up 11 Northwestern would of had to score a TD with time expiring versus kicking the tying field goal. We're lucky it didn't come back to bite us.

Sorry, end rant. I'm still bitter about Notre Dame blowing that a couple of weeks ago along with the decision to hand it off instead of kneel on it with a minute left.

Comment

Working...
                                X