Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dakota Marker - 2014 Edition

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

How can they expect to stop them on 3rd and short or 4th and short when they are so far off the ball?

I mean they are giving them the first down...
    Afraid of lining up offsides?

Awesome picture showing how they line up BTW. rep points.

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
      I've brought it up in a few times in the weekly TV chats and his response has pretty much been that the issue is being overblown. I disagree 100%. I've spoken to quite a few former offensive lineman (including a couple who have played significant time in the NFL) and they've all said they would have been licking their chops to play against a defensive line that far off the ball. The biggest advantage the defensive line has is to get off the ball quick and take the battle to the O-line. Our D-line has zero opportunity to do that with the current scheme.
      TV does not know much about football. Sorry. You are correct to ask him.

I'd really, really like to hear a frank answer from Tyler about the subject. Tyler knows football.

Great discussion, including SDSU catching NDSU.

It was too painful until now for me to look at the forum until now. We followed the game via ESPN due to being in a remote area, had high hopes, then BAM, we lost. Big.

Comment

If what is being reported by TV is true I have even less faith (and for those who have been around the whole season know I didn't have much to begin with) in the coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

The best way for an undersized man to hold is ground or pentrate is to stay lower than his opponent. That is football 101. That is why a lot of the really good interior defensive lineman in the NFL are shorter than the defensive ends (and they are also really heavy).

Lining up 1-2 yards off the ball on 3rd and 1! That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. EVER. Why even play the down. Just give them the first.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          If what is being reported by TV is true I have even less faith (and for those who have been around the whole season know I didn't have much to begin with) in the coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

The best way for an undersized man to hold is ground or pentrate is to stay lower than his opponent. That is football 101. That is why a lot of the really good interior defensive lineman in the NFL are shorter than the defensive ends (and they are also really heavy).

Lining up 1-2 yards off the ball on 3rd and 1! That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. EVER. Why even play the down. Just give them the first.
          ummmm, maybe they will try to pass it and it will be incomplete? Just kidding totally agree. Showed this picture to a friend at work who went to USD and he couldnt wrap his head around it. Why in a close game down 3 on the road etc are they doing that. we talk enough football here and he is like it doesnt seem to be working for them so why do they do it that way.....i said SDSU fans feel the same way. if it worked or we had better D stats, but its strange to just give a team a 2 yard cushion before the play even starts.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            ummmm, maybe they will try to pass it and it will be incomplete? Just kidding totally agree. Showed this picture to a friend at work who went to USD and he couldnt wrap his head around it. Why in a close game down 3 on the road etc are they doing that. we talk enough football here and he is like it doesnt seem to be working for them so why do they do it that way.....i said SDSU fans feel the same way. if it worked or we had better D stats, but its strange to just give a team a 2 yard cushion before the play even starts.
            Exactly. Our defense has not been good all year. Why not try putting them up on the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Exactly. Our defense has not been good all year. Why not try putting them up on the line of scrimmage.
              This has to be one of the weakest 8 men in a box formation I've ever seen. Especially since it is 3 and 1. If you are going to commit to stopping the 3 and 1 get the safety up on the line too. C'mon. You can see all the holes/choices the Bison have on this play. Why concede 3 and 1? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I can agree with that in theory. However in practice, when guys stand straight up out of their stance it isn't very effective to my layman's eyes. Maybe we are just that wore down/tired.
                I don't agree with it. The offensive lineman are the ones that are gonna get up the head of steam, they know the snap count.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I don't agree with it. The offensive lineman are the ones that are gonna get up the head of steam, they know the snap count.
                  Me either. It drives me insane. We have a few play makers on defense, however, I truly believe the scheme is the root cause of many of our problems. There are others though too.

We created a ton of turnovers last year. That was the strength of the defense. Plus, our defensive line could actually pressure the QB a bit. This year, we have done neither of those things well. We can't even stop the freaking run to save our souls. Here we sit at 5-4 on the brink of playoff elimination unless we blast the next three.

Offense definitely isn't our issue, or at least it hasn't been except against NDSU. Everyone has that problem.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    It seemed to work OK last year when we had the 8th best total defense in FCS running pretty much the same thing. Maybe we changed schemes? Or did MVFC teams just figure it out?

I don't know.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I've been trying to be open minded about the way our defensive line has been lining up in accordance to the line-of-scrimmage, but after 2 years of us struggling to stop the run (something that used to be a strength for us), I'm going to take the stance that it is a major contributor to our defensive woes.

Whatever the theory behind doing this, it's not working out in practice. I don't buy that our defensive tackles aren't big enough, either. We have 2 kids that are listed right around 300 lbs, which is about 30 more lbs than the Minks, Hettigers, and Douglas's that played well against the run in the past.

It's also not just the rushing defense that seems to effected, but our pass rush as well. I don't recall a period of time since I've been watching the Jacks that the pass rush has been so inept. I have to give our defensive backfield a lot of credit, though. We have one of the best pass defenses in the nation even when the opposing QB has all day to throw.

Seriously, something needs to be fixed and quickly if the team wants to sniff the playoffs this year.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

It seemed to work OK last year when we had the 8th best total defense in FCS running pretty much the same thing. Maybe we changed schemes? Or did MVFC teams just figure it out?

I don't know.
                        With the struggles this year,moving up to the line of scrimmage would be work a try,imo

Comment

I have not and never will understand the D-line alignment(reference many previous posts and/or threads of mine). I have had issues with it every time I see it, unexplainable and frustrating. I also realize I wrote I wouldn't bring it up anymore, but here we are again. To me it doesn't matter what you have for personnel or talent, line up and don't give them a head start. Towards the end of last season we became more aggressive and lined up closer, it seemed to go better. Personally I'd rather see us get beat being aggressive. We have some incredible talent on that side of the ball, it seems like they're told not to make a big mistake. They seem hesitant, turn them loose and adjust from there.

As for Sumner, loved seeing him back in there. Save for the 4th down misread he played incredibly. As for Lujan, it is referenced how good his efficiency rating and record was. He did an admirable job especially running for his life a good portion of the time. As I see it though unless he improves arm strength and can consistently throw a spiral he is not the future. May be difficult anyway with Douglas and Little coming back plus Christion coming in. Next year the QB won't have ZZ to rely on taking the main focus of the D.

Two other observations: Anyone else notice how old and worn the ball looked that NDSU used for kickoffs? He'd push down on it and it would go down to the threads, also could hardly see any of the white bands they were almost all rubbed off. Secondly, TransAm Bison and his squeeze make the yellow fur look even better than in his profile pic. Gotta find me a blue one of those. TAB, think they'll be warm enough for the outdoors?

Comment

I don't know.
                            I'll respectfully disagree, it didn't work. Reference last seasons run D stats, from SELA through Mo St our run D was not good. Butler was not a threat and UND just chucked because of the point deficit. We adjusted around the Northern Iowa game and did well until EWU.

Comment

Amen. That picture speaks loud and shows the first problem with the defense. The two tackles are big and strong enough to play the line of scrimmage and shouldn't have to play back and read before moving. Move the safties up as well when you can't stop the run. If the DT are animals according to some fans, let them play.

Comment

They played this way last year and didn't stop the run either. The head coach decides if the defense works so he must be pleased and has the final say. Time for a change in defensive scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X