Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo Day 2014

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
    I can't speak for all of the players, only one. We had a dire family emergency on Monday which caused Ry's absence all week. We were blessed to have a positive outcome,(it was dire enough to call him home) and I sent him back as soon as we were assured the outcome would remain. I will be the first to admit that he was a little off.
    Good news that you have a positive outcome. I suspect everyone connected to the football program is looking for answers. I just hope and pray our guys will be ready to play this Saturday. I visited Bisonville last evening and what a mistake that was. They say so much stupid stuff over there. Having a win streak of 32 games does that I suppose. I am old enough to remember Bud Wilkerson and his 47win streak at Oklahoma. Oklahoma was unbeatable in those days. I would think the Okie fans showed more class than the bison, but maybe not. It tough to have a two game win streak snapped by those guys from Youngstown.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      What strikes me as odd is our defense is either playing really good or really bad, much of which has happened in the same game. There just is no middle ground.

We could be a really good team if we can figure out what is causing this discrepancy.
      This is a pretty decent sign of really good talent but a lack of experience and/or discipline. Strictly as an example, not necessarily this team, but a really athletic D end can make some phenominal plays but really hurt the defense if he doesn't do his job. Just my opinion though.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        The offensive and defensive lines were terrible yesterday. That is the main story.........
        The discussion of this game should start and end with this. Line play was not good on both sides. Part of that had to do with the quality of YSU's players. On their defensive side, #11 Rivers was a beast (also a transfer from North Carolina).

Also, why all the knocking of Lujan? Here is line: 28/42; 329 Yds; 2 TD; 0 INT; 6 Sacks. What more can you ask of the backup quarterback? Our o-lines inability to block a 3-man front meant he was facing an 8-man defensive backfield most of the day, and when he wasn't getting sacked he was running for his life. You thought 6 sacks was bad? As evidenced on Saturday, Lujan is much more mobile than Sumner and this offensive line may have allowed double-digit sacks with Sumner back there. I'm not saying Sumner isn't the better quarterback, I'm just saying that Lujan doesn't deserve any of what some of you are throwing his way. You can't run and subsequently throw the deep ball routes if you have zero time in the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          The discussion of this game should start and end with this. Line play was not good on both sides. Part of that had to do with the quality of YSU's players. On their defensive side, #11 Rivers was a beast (also a transfer from North Carolina).

Also, why all the knocking of Lujan? Here is line: 28/42; 329 Yds; 2 TD; 0 INT; 6 Sacks. What more can you ask of the backup quarterback? Our o-lines inability to block a 3-man front meant he was facing an 8-man defensive backfield most of the day, and when he wasn't getting sacked he was running for his life. You thought 6 sacks was bad? As evidenced on Saturday, Lujan is much more mobile than Sumner and this offensive line may have allowed double-digit sacks with Sumner back there. I'm not saying Sumner isn't the better quarterback, I'm just saying that Lujan doesn't deserve any of what some of you are throwing his way. You can't run and subsequently throw the deep ball routes if you have zero time in the pocket.
          Excellent analogy

Comment

Saw the article on KELO for hobo day, and its good, Slosho makes an appearance in it. My only complaint is that the store owner who talks about how good it is for business after the parade said every one was walking in wearing blue and gold. that irritates me more then someone saying hobo days instead of day.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Crucify me if you will, but I've wondered this all year. Is his arm strength a little sub-par? Sure, but I've thought he's played pretty well, all things considered. Now, do I think he'll be our starter next year? No, but I've thought he's done an admirable job this year. (Yes, even vs. UNI, most of those picks weren't his).

I feel the stats comparing Sumners first year to Lujans (to this point) back me up.
              PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
              Austin Sumner 10 136.7 182-305-9 59.7 2382 16 80 238.2
              PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
              Zach Lujan 8 137.4 145-239-10 60.7 1911 13 78 238.9
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'm not knocking Lujan, he has performed admirably. I'm simply saying this team's struggles on both sides of the line don't bode well for a QB that is new to DI football. Do the Jacks win with Sumner at ISU-r or on Hobo Day? I have no idea but I would argue SDSU has a better chance with a Senior QB than a rookie.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You have to give the young man credit. He gave up his body more than once running for yardage that kept drives alive. I was surprised that he got up after a couple of those hits , and he actually delivered a blow that knocked a Penguin on his rear near the goal line.

Comment

I think our defensive line and LB's are a little too small. I noticed they had a hard time shedding blocks. Might be part of the problem

Comment

I'm not knocking him at all. He has done a very good job this year and he's part of the reason the team is even where it is right now.

I will try to explain my thoughts although past experience says they won't come out well. I will not use NDSU in this example due to the fact that they are just a different animal.

In the past teams had to defend a deep ball and so were not as able to stack the box and take away running lanes for zenner. It seemed like every week there was a few big gains from zenner (40+ yards). The last three weeks we have seen teams stack up the box due to no fear of getting beat deep and zenner hasn't ripped off many big runs. We have some guys that can go deep but they are always standing still when the ball gets too them and they out athletic the defender in order to get the completion. I am thinking that with an arm like Austin's out there teams have to back off a little more and all of the sudden Zenner is breaking into the secondary much more frequently than he has. The last two weeks the teams have had excellent d-lines but when you have to beat them plus a few linebackers and a safety the running lanes aren't there and the qb is running for his life.

Do I think the outcome of the ISU-R game is different, maybe but only a slight maybe. I do think that the MSU and YSU games are different with Austin. I don't know what our strength staff can do to strengthen Zach's arm over the next year but I do think based on what he's done this year he deserves to go in to spring as the favorite.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        I think our defensive line and LB's are a little too small. I noticed they had a hard time shedding blocks. Might be part of the problem
                        You have to go down to #8 on the tackle list on Saturday's stats before you find a DL's name. Not good when the entire DL has only 4 solo tackles for the game. And the pass rush was almost non-existent.

Comment

Why knock Lujan? I think he as others have said has done a great job filling in. Zenner got stuffed on that 4 and 1 play. What happened there? No one seems to discuss the x and o's on that one. Someone or somebody did not block like they were suppose too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            You have to go down to #8 on the tackle list on Saturday's stats before you find a DL's name. Not good when the entire DL has only 4 solo tackles for the game. And the pass rush was almost non-existent.
                            This does make me wonder. Did we make the true freshman QB look better than he really is?

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                              I'm not knocking him at all. He has done a very good job this year and he's part of the reason the team is even where it is right now.

I will try to explain my thoughts although past experience says they won't come out well. I will not use NDSU in this example due to the fact that they are just a different animal.

In the past teams had to defend a deep ball and so were not as able to stack the box and take away running lanes for zenner. It seemed like every week there was a few big gains from zenner (40+ yards). The last three weeks we have seen teams stack up the box due to no fear of getting beat deep and zenner hasn't ripped off many big runs. We have some guys that can go deep but they are always standing still when the ball gets too them and they out athletic the defender in order to get the completion. I am thinking that with an arm like Austin's out there teams have to back off a little more and all of the sudden Zenner is breaking into the secondary much more frequently than he has. The last two weeks the teams have had excellent d-lines but when you have to beat them plus a few linebackers and a safety the running lanes aren't there and the qb is running for his life.

Do I think the outcome of the ISU-R game is different, maybe but only a slight maybe. I do think that the MSU and YSU games are different with Austin. I don't know what our strength staff can do to strengthen Zach's arm over the next year but I do think based on what he's done this year he deserves to go in to spring as the favorite.
                              The Oline that zenner ran behind the last 2 years is very much different then the line this year. the line has more to do with zenner finding a lane then with Sumners ability to spread the ball deep.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The quarterback position is unique. What other position do you really have to get everybody on board every time? You are the consolidator. You have to have everyone together. No one can hide. With a pitcher, it's just him throwing strikes. He needs some help behind him, but it's more of a commodity behind him.
                                With a point guard, you can play without a point guard. You don't have to have that.
                                The great quarterbacks get everyone together, when it's third and 10 in the fourth quarter, down by four on the road in the drizzling rain in 33 degrees. You have to be a guy that people will respond to.

The elements in basketball and baseball don't change. For the most part, the weather stays pretty much the same. That's not the case in football.
                                The foundation of the game in football is to knock down the quarterback. You knock him down, you're going to win.
                                Then there's the intellectual challenge of the job.
                                There are a lot of really smart people who can pass any test if you give them a few seconds to think about it. But that's five, 10, 30 times more time than you get in football. And you have to do it from the time you step on the field until you step off of it.
                                You see some quarterbacks that get overwhelmed by that. They don't know who's playing defense, let alone dictating the terms of the game themselves.
                                So in my honest opinion losing Sumner hurt alot more than what people think.
                                But also at the same time...the lines do have to get better...and again no knock on Lujan he has done a good job.

Comment

Working...
                                X