Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Post wasn't directed at you. I sense an attitude of complacency. An attitude of better than we use to be is all we should want to be. An attitude that says we can't be the best because we haven't been the best.

Keep expecting to be second best and you will be much less than that. NDSU approached the move to DI expecting to be the best. They succeeded, SDSU has not.

I want more. I want better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am speechless after reading your posts here. I tend to see some truth in what you are saying but not sure what the solution is but to shake off this blowout and move on. Following the Bison to Texas seems to a status symbol in the Fargo area. I wish we had that passion in the following of SDSU. I noticed the complacency since 1986 when I moved to Columbus, Nebraska and became a regular follower. Going to Fargo to watch the Bison kick our butts in 1987 was not pretty, and it has never been since that time. I am one of the few on this board who lived through the Ralph Ginn era. It was a different time back then so its impossible to draw any comparisons except the Bison were basement dwellers in the NCC. I am not real excited about forking out $750 just to buy a season ticket starting in 2016, but that's the price we have to pay to get a new stadium. It can only get better and I will leave it at that.

Comment

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Agree 100%. This Bison fans expect to win every game, including FBS games. In FBS games, we as fans hope not to get blown out and in conference games expect to be competitive. We need to start expecting wins.

Comment

SDSU's administration, donors, and fans are in the process of spending somewhere over $100 million in facilities upgrades in large part to improve the football program.

Just a reminder. Rome wasn't built in a day.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

MD's recent posts are exactly, EXACTLY what I was getting at when I started the "meltdown" thread. Only spoken far more thoroughly and eloquently than I could have done. Thank you MD, I agree completely.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The fact that over $100 million is being spent should make losses like this even more unacceptable. I know recruits are going to look at the new facilities and be impressed, but how many kids that are on the fence about where to go see us losing 45-10 and still think, " yeah, but they will have a brand new stadium in a few years". Loses like this one can be a huge blow to the progress of a program.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              SDSU's administration, donors, and fans are in the process of spending somewhere over $100 million in facilities upgrades in large part to improve the football program.

Just a reminder. Rome wasn't built in a day.
              Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be. Mentioned UNI, NDSU, YSU as national championship contenders and perennial playoff powers. He even went back to the DII days and pointed out SDSU's lack of playoff appearances and USD's relative success as a comparison. That kind of tipped me over.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the casual observer has SDSU much closer to USD than to NDSU or UNI or Montana. Losing 45-10 only solidifies that observation. Jackrabbits have to get better and I think they are trying.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                The fact that over $100 million is being spent should make losses like this even more unacceptable. I know recruits are going to look at the new facilities and be impressed, but how many kids that are on the fence about where to go see us losing 45-10 and still think, " yeah, but they will have a brand new stadium in a few years". Loses like this one can be a huge blow to the progress of a program.
                It's the fact that we didn't even flipping compete that is frustrating.

Every year it seems we can look at one game and be like WTF!? IMO, that's an issue with the leadership.

We keep making excuses about not having Austin. Well he sure the hell wouldn't have done much to prevent giving up 500 yards of total offense. And, it's not like our defense spent the entire game on the field...the TOP was essentially equal.

If our defense quit because we got in a hole early that's also on the leadership.

I'm not saying fire people, but the philosophy/culture has to change at some point. For the level of program we have, the pressure at SDSU does not seem to be nearly at the same level.

Comment

Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be. Mentioned UNI, NDSU, YSU as national championship contenders and perennial playoff powers. He even went back to the DII days and pointed out SDSU's lack of playoff appearances and USD's relative success as a comparison. That kind of tipped me over.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the casual observer has SDSU much closer to USD than to NDSU or UNI or Montana. Losing 45-10 only solidifies that observation. Jackrabbits have to get better and I think they are trying.
                  And a Gopher Fan would surely know about not being up to snuff.

Comment

Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be.
                    Have to lol at that one. I'm a U of M alum and have been a Gopher fan for 50 years , and believe me , anyone wearing maroon and gold should be the last one throwing stones at anyone's football program.
                    Last edited by bigticket1; 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I suspect SDSU's loss to Illinois State had a lot more to do with the Redbirds' stud FBS transfers than with apathy among fans. We as fans should be disappointed by the loss. Obviously there's work to be done. But the Jacks are winning team that's on the rise. Don't lose sight of that.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        I suspect SDSU's loss to Illinois State had a lot more to do with the Redbirds' stud FBS transfers than with apathy among fans. We as fans should be disappointed by the loss. Obviously there's work to be done. But the Jacks are winning team that's on the rise. Don't lose sight of that.
                        Interesting point, there were three of them according to TV's blog yesterday, the qb from Indiana, a guy from Ohio State and one from Oregon. Its interesting how they were able to pick them up. Spock was a former assistant at Purdue and no doubt still has an interesting network. They all had talent and were eager to play ball. So hardly B10 misfits.

Comment

So for those of you saying that it is a leadership problem, I'm curious at what level. Players, assistant coaches, Stig, Athletic Dept, Sell, Chicoine? Who in this line do you blame for not wanting the program to be successful? I look at all of those people and I'm pretty sure they are all working pretty dang hard and doing HUGE things for our University. It was one bad game. Three turnovers in the first quarter makes it pretty hard to dig out. I agree with those who say the game sometimes depends on your mental make up. Getting down big early, with the offense putting the defense in horrible positions, and ISU-r homecoming all culminated in an "ultimate storm." This is just my opinion of course. Believe me, I am not a fan of mediocrity, but my goodness, we have made incredible progress in the past 10 years. We will get there.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm not buying what you're selling. I cheer for the Jackrabbits because I find enjoyment from it. It is a leisure time activity. If I took on the attitude you are proposing, I guarantee I would find less enjoyment.

ITS A GAME.

I'm sorry your friends don't think the Jackrabbits are as good as Youngstown or USD. I'm sorry you can't talk about back to back to back Natty's when you're loading your gear into your Escalade for a weekend hunting trip. I don't need the Jackrabbits to win them all in order to have a good time, and I certainly don't need to use an FCS football team to validate any part of my real life.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              So for those of you saying that it is a leadership problem, I'm curious at what level. Players, assistant coaches, Stig, Athletic Dept, Sell, Chicoine? Who in this line do you blame for not wanting the program to be successful? I look at all of those people and I'm pretty sure they are all working pretty dang hard and doing HUGE things for our University. It was one bad game. Three turnovers in the first quarter makes it pretty hard to dig out. I agree with those who say the game sometimes depends on your mental make up. Getting down big early, with the offense putting the defense in horrible positions, and ISU-r homecoming all culminated in an "ultimate storm." This is just my opinion of course. Believe me, I am not a fan of mediocrity, but my goodness, we have made incredible progress in the past 10 years. We will get there.
                              That's a straw man right there. No one has stated that those people want the program to be unsuccessful. The argument to which you respond questioned the leadership because of games like ISU-R. It is a question of strategy, scheme, mental and physical preparation, not one of choosing or trying to fail. That isn't the point at all.

If we are who we think we are, we should never, ever lose in the manner we did on Saturday. Now, the issue is to find out why that happens, as it did last year at Missouri State and again in Normal last Saturday.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Sorry, but I'm not buying what you're selling. I cheer for the Jackrabbits because I find enjoyment from it. It is a leisure time activity. If I took on the attitude you are proposing, I guarantee I would find less enjoyment.

ITS A GAME.

I'm sorry your friends don't think the Jackrabbits are as good as Youngstown or USD. I'm sorry you can't talk about back to back to back Natty's when you're loading your gear into your Escalade for a weekend hunting trip. I don't need the Jackrabbits to win them all in order to have a good time, and I certainly don't need to use an FCS football team to validate any part of my real life.
                                Are you claiming that others do need to use an FCS football team to validate any part of their "real" lives?

Some have invested sweat, blood, tears, time, and money into SDSU's football program because that is part of their fabric and/or family history. I do not think you meant to insult those who do not choose your viewpoint by suggesting they are out of touch with "real" life.

I also choose to cheer for the Jackrabbits because I find enjoyment in it. I also do my best to support the program financially, as meager as it is. I have a number of friends that played and gave countless hours to perfect their craft all while earning a degree. They want more and they view SDSU football as more than a mere hobby or leisure time activity, as do I.
                                Last edited by KUlawJack; 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X