X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacked_Up
    replied
    Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

I suspect SDSU's loss to Illinois State had a lot more to do with the Redbirds' stud FBS transfers than with apathy among fans. We as fans should be disappointed by the loss. Obviously there's work to be done. But the Jacks are winning team that's on the rise. Don't lose sight of that.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be.
    Have to lol at that one. I'm a U of M alum and have been a Gopher fan for 50 years , and believe me , anyone wearing maroon and gold should be the last one throwing stones at anyone's football program.
    Last edited by bigticket1; 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be. Mentioned UNI, NDSU, YSU as national championship contenders and perennial playoff powers. He even went back to the DII days and pointed out SDSU's lack of playoff appearances and USD's relative success as a comparison. That kind of tipped me over.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the casual observer has SDSU much closer to USD than to NDSU or UNI or Montana. Losing 45-10 only solidifies that observation. Jackrabbits have to get better and I think they are trying.
    And a Gopher Fan would surely know about not being up to snuff.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
    The fact that over $100 million is being spent should make losses like this even more unacceptable. I know recruits are going to look at the new facilities and be impressed, but how many kids that are on the fence about where to go see us losing 45-10 and still think, " yeah, but they will have a brand new stadium in a few years". Loses like this one can be a huge blow to the progress of a program.
    It's the fact that we didn't even flipping compete that is frustrating.

Every year it seems we can look at one game and be like WTF!? IMO, that's an issue with the leadership.

We keep making excuses about not having Austin. Well he sure the hell wouldn't have done much to prevent giving up 500 yards of total offense. And, it's not like our defense spent the entire game on the field...the TOP was essentially equal.

If our defense quit because we got in a hole early that's also on the leadership.

I'm not saying fire people, but the philosophy/culture has to change at some point. For the level of program we have, the pressure at SDSU does not seem to be nearly at the same level.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    SDSU's administration, donors, and fans are in the process of spending somewhere over $100 million in facilities upgrades in large part to improve the football program.

Just a reminder. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Correct and speaks to my point. Last night while arranging a pheasant hunt planned for this weekend my friend (A gopher fan) politely stated that SDSU isn't up to snuff and he didn't think they ever would be. Mentioned UNI, NDSU, YSU as national championship contenders and perennial playoff powers. He even went back to the DII days and pointed out SDSU's lack of playoff appearances and USD's relative success as a comparison. That kind of tipped me over.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the casual observer has SDSU much closer to USD than to NDSU or UNI or Montana. Losing 45-10 only solidifies that observation. Jackrabbits have to get better and I think they are trying.

Leave a comment:

• westernjack
    replied

The fact that over $100 million is being spent should make losses like this even more unacceptable. I know recruits are going to look at the new facilities and be impressed, but how many kids that are on the fence about where to go see us losing 45-10 and still think, " yeah, but they will have a brand new stadium in a few years". Loses like this one can be a huge blow to the progress of a program.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MD's recent posts are exactly, EXACTLY what I was getting at when I started the "meltdown" thread. Only spoken far more thoroughly and eloquently than I could have done. Thank you MD, I agree completely.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

SDSU's administration, donors, and fans are in the process of spending somewhere over $100 million in facilities upgrades in large part to improve the football program.

Just a reminder. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Agree 100%. This Bison fans expect to win every game, including FBS games. In FBS games, we as fans hope not to get blown out and in conference games expect to be competitive. We need to start expecting wins.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Post wasn't directed at you. I sense an attitude of complacency. An attitude of better than we use to be is all we should want to be. An attitude that says we can't be the best because we haven't been the best.

Keep expecting to be second best and you will be much less than that. NDSU approached the move to DI expecting to be the best. They succeeded, SDSU has not.

I want more. I want better.

I am speechless after reading your posts here. I tend to see some truth in what you are saying but not sure what the solution is but to shake off this blowout and move on. Following the Bison to Texas seems to a status symbol in the Fargo area. I wish we had that passion in the following of SDSU. I noticed the complacency since 1986 when I moved to Columbus, Nebraska and became a regular follower. Going to Fargo to watch the Bison kick our butts in 1987 was not pretty, and it has never been since that time. I am one of the few on this board who lived through the Ralph Ginn era. It was a different time back then so its impossible to draw any comparisons except the Bison were basement dwellers in the NCC. I am not real excited about forking out $750 just to buy a season ticket starting in 2016, but that's the price we have to pay to get a new stadium. It can only get better and I will leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    You have no idea what my attitude is. Have I said we can't be the best ? And you can say we can be Florida State and it won't offend me. I simply said the Bison have been better in recent years because they have recruited better players. Period. Can that change ? Absolutely - I believe the gap has started to narrow in the last couple of recruiting classes and the improvement in facilities will continue to help. But message board posters coming on here after a loss and questioning the desire and commitment of the players , coaching staff and even the fans won't do much to narrow the gap IMO.
    Post wasn't directed at you. I sense an attitude of complacency. An attitude of better than we use to be is all we should want to be. An attitude that says we can't be the best because we haven't been the best.

Keep expecting to be second best and you will be much less than that. NDSU approached the move to DI expecting to be the best. They succeeded, SDSU has not.

I want more. I want better.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Too many of you have the attitude that we can't be the best. Dare I say we can't be NDSU?

Open your eyes. Look at what limits SDSU. We are getting passed by.

You have no idea what my attitude is. Have I said we can't be the best ? And you can say we can be Florida State and it won't offend me. I simply said the Bison have been better in recent years because they have recruited better players. Period. Can that change ? Absolutely - I believe the gap has started to narrow in the last couple of recruiting classes and the improvement in facilities will continue to help. But message board posters coming on here after a loss and questioning the desire and commitment of the players , coaching staff and even the fans won't do much to narrow the gap IMO.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    The Bison have 6 recent grads on NFL active rosters and practice squads and the Jacks I believe have zero (I don't consider Adam V. to be a recent grad.) I would guess that has had a greater bearing on the results of the last three years than the fan bases.
    Don't miss my point. Why is it like that? Attitude? Commitment? Dedication? Too many of you have the attitude that we can't be the best. Dare I say we can't be NDSU?

Open your eyes. Look at what limits SDSU. We are getting passed by.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

The Bison have 6 recent grads on NFL active rosters and practice squads and the Jacks I believe have zero (I don't consider Adam V. to be a recent grad.) I would guess that has had a greater bearing on the results of the last three years than the fan bases.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

Football is a lot more mental than fans realize. NDSU had that mental toughness it takes to win games and championships. Not making mental errors can save a team a lot of grief. We self destructed and made it impossible to win that game. That's the lesson I hope the team learns. When everything's going well we play well, but we don't have the mental toughness to handle adversity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X