Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    You have to admit, it will be pretty cool to see your daughter get married at Hobo Day tailgate. Wait, do you mean she actually scheduled the wedding on Hobo Day and you can't go to the game???

My advice to those with young families: make SDSU football a high priority now if you don't want to get roped into birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, family reunions, cousins in town, fix the sink, mow the lawn, go grocery shopping etc. SDSU football shouldn't be your highest priority, but there are a ton of pretty unimportant things that come up that can make it tough for a family man to make games. Let your family know SDSU football is a priority, and your intention is to attend every home game. Truly important things do come up that can't be avoided, but a freeking 1 year old birthday that could be scheduled anytime that day (or the next day, or the previous/next weekend)??? This includes leaving pheasant hunts early to make it to games, and it might even mean skipping the Thanksgiving saturday nap to make it to a playoff game (gasp, but my mom's aunt's neighbor always has everyone over that day!!!).

If you don't make SDSU football a priority, just wait and see. Next comes the heat to give up season tickets because "its quite a bit of money, and you only made it to 3 games last year..."

Edit: I realize ISU-r is an away game. But following the previous advice will also ensure it is possible to listen/watch away games as well.
    I agree, gotta build that culture of SDSU somehow. Hope your ready for the flack from the hunters who bring up its tradition and cant go to football games since they always go hunting on this weekend with my cousins uncle or something like that. Well I agree, you can plan your hunting around a football game for 1 day. Make SDSU football games that tradition and make as many home games as possible. Even though we got rid of the season tickets, we try to watch and listen to games as we can. I missed some of the Mizzu game though since we were in Omaha and went to the zoo with the kids which was a lot of fun but we got there at halftime so it was a deal we went to the zoon in the AM to get back to still watch some of the game. finding that SDSU love of football and family responsibility is a fine line for sure. I have been talking friends into getting season tickets with us when we do again and make it a priority to go tailgating and to games. Sadly its harder to get that to happen then I thought conisidering some friends get season tickets to minor league sports teams in SF but wont do it for SDSU.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Good to know other non-locals will be yelling/cheering at our computers!
      My wife said its strange I do that. I told her its like the force and the team can sense the yelling and cheering.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
        Very good chance my wife might be in labor so updates would be appreciated.
        You need to plan things a little better and get the due date during the bye week. My wife's due date was 9/28.

However, that didn't quite work out. We had a baby boy the night before the Osh-Gosh game, and I had to listen to game via WNAX in the hospital.

Comment

I'll be working, intentionally schedule my 48 hour weekend shifts on dates of away games that I can't attend. Will have the radio tuned to WNAX. Hospital staff and most of my patients know where my priorities are for those 3 hours.............
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I'll be working, intentionally schedule my 48 hour weekend shifts on dates of away games that I can't attend. Will have the radio tuned to WNAX. Hospital staff and most of my patients know where my priorities are for those 3 hours.............
            I wouldn't mind being a patient of yours so I could listen too......oh wait a sec

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              My wife and I are driving to Brookings to watch the SDSU Classic Cross Country meet Saturday morning. We're wondering if Cubby's will be picking up the pay-per-view of the game from Illinois State. Does anyone know if the game will be on a big screen at Cubbys?
              Not sure there but I had a beverage in Wooden Legs this week (outstanding beer, BTW) and I THINK I heard them say they would have the game. It was loud in there and I was mesmerized by the Ghost Pepper
              beer..... That is one fine little microbrewery.... they need to get more on the menu than pizza and pretzels but their beer is top rate.

Comment

Thanks. I haven't been to Wooden Legs yet...will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  Is she a USD grad? That can be the only way she'd punish you so.
                  She is a USD grad, but like most USD grads I know, doesn't realize that there is still college football played in South Dakota.
                  Oops! Sorry! Not a smack thread.
                  Last edited by West-River_Jack; 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM. Reason: apology
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I totally agree about Wooden Legs. Great little brewery, but a bigger kitchen and bigger menu would have been better. I have been there when it was slow enough for the bartenders to discuss how active they are in the brewing process. Fascinating conversation!
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

<3 Wooden Legs. I had an Irish breakfast there on Pub Crawl that year that was completely traditional and fantastic. The beer and staff are great.

Uh, what's this thread about?
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        <3 Wooden Legs. I had an Irish breakfast there on Pub Crawl that year that was completely traditional and fantastic. The beer and staff are great.

Uh, what's this thread about?
                        Wooden Legs is a must stop every time I'm in Brookings, which isn't very often anymore unfortunately. They also have a pretty awesome growler that has this year's SDSU football schedule on it.

Also, they are making something special for Hobo Day this year, Hobo Brew. http://woodenlegsbrewing.com/hobo-brew-2014/

Comment

I'm yet to stop into Wooden Legs. It's on the menu for next weekend.

As for this weekend. I personally went through some anxiety about this game early this week. Today for some reason I am 100% confident we win this game. Maybe not in the dominating fashion we won on the road against SUU, but I think by about 10 points. That is my prediction, provided Lujan doesn't turn the ball over. If he throws a couple picks, I'll be throwing beer cans at the trees.

I chose trees for the targets of the beer cans because I'll be outside avoiding a one-year old's birthday party, which now includes decorating pumpkins with glittery spray paint and bows for fall decorations. JFC.
                          Last edited by KUlawJack; 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Is wooden legs on main or a side street. Have yet to get there. Only place I have been really the last couple years I have been in town with a chance to get downtown as cubbys ans skinners.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Is wooden legs on main or a side street. Have yet to get there. Only place I have been really the last couple years I have been in town with a chance to get downtown as cubbys ans skinners.
                              Side street. It's right across from the Brookings Register on 5th

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                Not sure there but I had a beverage in Wooden Legs this week (outstanding beer, BTW) and I THINK I heard them say they would have the game. It was loud in there and I was mesmerized by the Ghost Pepper
                                beer..... That is one fine little microbrewery.... they need to get more on the menu than pizza and pretzels but their beer is top rate.
                                The have Pub-sandwiches

Comment

Working...
                                X