X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUlawJack
    replied
    Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

I hope we can shorten this game with our run game and long sustained drives ending in 7 rather than 3. If we do that, we should win comfortably, maybe 7-10 points. That is comfort on the road against a good opponent.

There is some analysis over on ISU-R's board about our DL being hit hard by graduation. I think they will be surprised when they see the quality we have up front on Saturday. It is probably the most pleasant surprise of the season for me.

Our corners and safeties will get tested. I'm not worried about our CBs at all, but I am about the safeties. I hope we can contain some of the deep balls they will undoubtedly throw. LBs will need to stay home on Roberson and take away the edge on the read-option stuff.

I'm getting wound up for this and it is only Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• isuquinndog
    replied

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=263

It looks like the ISU site is the only video source. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, no TV here. Our game next week at Indy St is on ESPN3, but nothing for this game other than ISU's own feed. I will say, it's pretty good quality video feed.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Welcome to the board, isuquinndog. Saturday's game should be a classic. I think it'll be close much of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=263

It looks like the ISU site is the only video source. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• isuquinndog
    replied

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    What type of offense and defense will the Birds show in Normal this year? If I recall correctly, they had a very efficient passing attack in 2012 when they made the quarterfinals and lost at Cheney to EWU. Any input? In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).
    Hey guys, admin of redbirdfan.net here. Good luck Saturday, should be a great game and atmosphere with Homecoming.

ISU has Indiana sophmore transfer Tre Roberson starting at QB this year. Last year was a freshman QB, he is now the back up. We also have a pretty decent RB in Marshaun Coprich and a good sized WR in Lechein Neblett. He has five TD's on 12 catches in three games.

The defensive front 7 will be our question mark. I think our safeties will hold their own, but if the front 7 can't get pressure or shut down the run it could be a long afternoon. Weather is supposed to be perfect. Sunny and highs in the low 60's. Perfect weather for a parade, tailgate and football.

Leave a comment:

• West-River_Jack
    replied

If anyone already posted this, I missed it.

Redbird Football Forum: http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/view...ed5fe639718184

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Is their a watch party in the sf area sat? I won't be going to kravn ever again after the dining experience last time.
    But would like to be part of a get together.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Its going to be a hard fought battle and close game. I think these teams are fairly evenly matched. ISU has a high powered offense but they haven't faced a solid defense, that will change Saturday. Zenner has to have his typical big game and Lujan can't throw picks early. I'm still worried about special teams, especially punt and kickoff coverage. If ISU wins the field position battle it will be tough to win this one. It will likely come down to establishing the run, keeping ISU out of the endzone (bend don't break defense) and the most important factor will likely be turnovers. If one team gives the ball up to the other they are going to be in trouble. Should be a heck of a game.

Leave a comment:

• rabidrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    You pretty much summed it up. We really don't know what kind of team ISU-Red has because they really haven't been challenged by their non-conference schedule.

I like to think that, due to our solid out-of-conference schedule, the Jacks will be more prepared for the challenge the Birds have to offer than the other way around.
    Likewise, ISU(R) doesn't have a good handle on the Rabbits. Obviously, beating SUU, and Cal Poly doesn't give them anything more to work with than what the Redbirds did to EIU. Oshkosh was equivalent of playing Austin Peay.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).
    You pretty much summed it up. We really don't know what kind of team ISU-Red has because they really haven't been challenged by their non-conference schedule.

I like to think that, due to our solid out-of-conference schedule, the Jacks will be more prepared for the challenge the Birds have to offer than the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
    Who says we aren't better too? Every game is important- point made by many. Can we just move on to actual conversation about the teams we are facing (rather than what happens if we lose before the game even starts)
    That is a great direction. Last year there was talk of missing playoffs if we lost to Missouri State. There may have been other games on the list as well. It makes the last game more interesting I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

What type of offense and defense will the Birds show in Normal this year? If I recall correctly, they had a very efficient passing attack in 2012 when they made the quarterfinals and lost at Cheney to EWU. Any input? In my opinion, there is no gage on how decent of a team they actually have this year. 3-0, but with two of those teams being worthless, and EIU being a former shell of the 2013 version of the panthers. (By the way, when ISUr and EIU played last year, the panthers won 57-24, in Charleston).

Leave a comment:

• trueblue
    replied

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    There is no wiggle room, I'm not looking at the losses needed to stay in the playoff hunt...Maybe I need to clarify myself a little more....I'm looking at the wins needed to be eligible for the playoffs, different mindset I guess.....Once the Jacks hit 9-1 I will breathe easier and we play for seeding after that......I'm not counting UNI and NDSU as losses, but I'm not hoping the playoff berth hinges on beating them both on the road either......it took a ricocheting Field Goal from a kicker who hadn't missed to beat UNI at our place last year, they are much, much better this year......
    Who says we aren't better too? Every game is important- point made by many. Can we just move on to actual conversation about the teams we are facing (rather than what happens if we lose before the game even starts)

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

Agreed, this week is not literally "must win", but it's pretty close. In order to be a sure-thing for the playoffs, we probably need six more wins. That means every loss against the likes of ISU (either one), MSU, YSU, WIU or USD would have to be offset with a win at UNI or NDSU. Tough.

Leave a comment:

• Theee Catrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    The way I see it is we are 2-1. I am not counting the oshkosh game since it doesn't really help us. And we lose we go to 2-2. That's a tough place to be in. Starting with a win in confrence would be ideal. A lose wouldn't ruin the season but every one has us losing at ndsu and uni so we would have 4 losses if we lose this game. I pefer to let them play the games before deciding those things. But good teams need to win at home and split on the road at least. All I want to see is sdsu go 1-0 this week.
    There is no wiggle room, I'm not looking at the losses needed to stay in the playoff hunt...Maybe I need to clarify myself a little more....I'm looking at the wins needed to be eligible for the playoffs, different mindset I guess.....Once the Jacks hit 9-1 I will breathe easier and we play for seeding after that......I'm not counting UNI and NDSU as losses, but I'm not hoping the playoff berth hinges on beating them both on the road either......it took a ricocheting Field Goal from a kicker who hadn't missed to beat UNI at our place last year, they are much, much better this year......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X